Exploded Idler Pulley

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
Well this should settle the debate about replacing your stock idler pulleys... Luckily I was only a few miles from the house when it happened.

27877761549_0755cb8d73_z.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
^^^^ Glad the belt didn't break and leave you stranded.

My question is how many miles is on your car and when was the last time you replaced the bearing in that idler?

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
My question is how many miles is on your car and when was the last time you replaced the bearing in that idler?

57K - I have never replaced the bearings.

So from an engineering stand point, what's actually happening here? I just don't see the physics causing this to happen. The bearing on the pulley that blew is fine, spins nicely no resistance.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
It was just a matter of time. You got lucky nothing else got damaged. Time to replace then all now

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Being stamped steel probably doesn’t help. And how do you have such a heavily modded high hp car and still rock the stock idlers?? One let go on me with under or around 20k miles and I was only a 2.80” upper only, not even the 2.76..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I can't tell you how many people I've told to replace their stamped steel idlers when they mod to this extent. It's not so much IF an idler will explode, it's WHEN an idler will explode. OP was very fortunate the belt didn't snap as well, and that it didn't happen late night in the boonies.

Users who are viewing this thread