EPA & SCT | Is the Future of Modifying Cars Over Based on This??

Famine

Established Member
This is all because rolling coal people and diesel drivers removing cats and other emissions regulation devices.
You can still have high horse power car with tune. You just need to use cats, o2 sensors etc. Just no more cheap ass way to increase horse power. Just use high flow cats. There is a reason why EPA exists and they are just doing their work. This very minor thing after all. If tune fails emissions testing with cats and sensors operating, it is just a very poorly done tune as car is not running right. I would like Gale Banks to comment on this as he really knows how to make crazy horse power with diesel engines without black smoke.
B.s., the epa is just a bunch of money hungry criminals. If they did their job, there wouldn't be fracking, there wouldn't be people lighting their water on fire out of their faucets. They pick and choose what they want to enforce based upon money. That us all they're about. Get your head out from under a rock.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Not to change the subject, but why the **** doesn’t the EPA do something about the damn water crisis in Lee County Florida? Damn sludge algae from the lake releases.

It's ****ing up the already impaired St. Lucie River/treasure coast. Over here Mast is making a big fuss about it. Not sure if he really cares or is it because of election time?
Lake O is ****ed.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
It's ****ing up the already impaired St. Lucie River/treasure coast. Over here Mast is making a big fuss about it. Not sure if he really cares or is it because of election time?
Lake O is ****ed.
Terrible over here south of me, but it doesn't affect my area.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
How is the St. John River around Sanford and Deland?
I went by there a few months ago on the way to and from St. Augustine. Looked OK I guess, and I haven't heard anything, but I'm not close to that area. We're talking about Lake Okeechobbe. That's the one I told you about with that one house on the Caloosahatcee river which is nasty.

lx347cid

Established Member
So what about these turbo kits which you not supposed to use cat converters? They still going to sell them and are tuners still going to tune them?

nomoretickets

Established Member
This sucks but can anyone really be surprised? We all know the "off-road use only" line is BS. We all know non-compliant tunes are being used on street cars, only to have them reflashed for testing. Anyone who spends more than 10 minutes on a car forum knows this. The diesel truck guys got way too brazen with the coal rolling and made this a problem too big for the EPA to ignore. Our end of the car scene is probably under less scrutiny than trucks since gas burners dont emit giant black clouds of culpability when we accelerate, but changes are coming. I would say any company that specifically advertises the ability of their product to defeat emissions controls is going to get slapped with the shit stick at some point.

As for some of the questions being posed about how a manufacturer can be held responsible for what a customer does with the product, the difference between the non-compliant tuners and screwdrivers/beer bottles/guns/etc. is that the whole purpose of certain features of the non-compliant tuners (i.e. turning off the o2 sensors) is to enable something that is illegal. Its illegal to disable emissions control devices. These tuners did that for anyone capable of navigating the menu. And sure, traditionally, race-cars have been exempted from clean air act regulations (though the EPA has tried to walk that back), but lets be real: how many dedicated racecars are running canned tunes from an X4? I think thats likely to be a non-issue here. As far as I can tell, the settlement is not going to prevent your local dyno shop from cutting you a race tune for your "off-road use only" vehicle.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
If you have not cats and other devices, how would swapping a ECM do anything if you live in an emissions state? When you put the stock ECM back in, the codes would show up.

The only people I can think of that don't need cats, are really high boost applications where the cat can actually fail. You don't need to delete anything else on a gas engine. If you want a race car, get an older car.

For diesels, who knows. POWERSTROKE HELP is going to be having a lot more business with his built 6.0s though because they have no emissions with exceptions of EGR. I imagine you could get a huge EGR cooler (aftermarket) and run the EGR still.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
Honestly, I don't really care about the law or the rules from a prospective of how they will impact my life. My biggest concern is the fact that an unelected bureaucracy is making up rules as they go along, claiming they are enforcing the statutory code, but that isn't the case. The statutory code is all that's needed to know in order to abide by or enforce that law. The "rule makers" are abusing a delegated position of authority because our elected officials are too concerned with getting re-elected, rather than managing our statutory code.

Derive Systems got screwed because of it, and this is just the latest example of government over-reach.

Also, I have an emissions exempt vehicle... I am going to email the EPA a link to a live-stream video, tune it rich and let it idle in my driveway for the next week, as black smoke sends thousands of pounds of CO2 into the air. **** them. probably not... maybe.

Last edited:

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
Just got this email from JLT:

CONTRARY TO INTERNET LORE, THE SKY IS NOT FALLING.

If you blinked this week, you may have missed the press releases from the Environmental Protection Agency, the Department of Justice and Derive Systems, parent company of SCT and Bully Dog. The EPA and DOJ puffed their collective chest and took great pride in explaining they had come to a settlement agreement with Derive to “address the sale of approximately 363,000 aftermarket products designed to defeat the emissions control systems of cars and trucks in violation of the Clean Air Act”.

What’s this mean to you? Not a lot, except that in the future it will likely be easier for you to pass an emissions test. You say you don’t have state (or county) emissions testing? That has nothing to do with the EPA nor Federal laws and at the end of the day, they’re the governing body for all our vehicles. As much as we’d all like to hide behind the “but it’s my race car” shield, it simply doesn’t hold up. Not running catalytic converters? That’s your call, but you won’t likely find anyone that will legally rid you of that pesky Check Engine Light by turning off emissions systems. Derive will no doubt eliminate that option from custom software.

Derive Systems, in their dealer communication on Wednesday 9/27/18, stated that:

• Every product we sell today is legal. We are permitted to, and will continue selling our existing tuners and Advantage software.
  • There is no need for resellers or consumers to return or swap out anything on shelves today, nor is a recall required.
  • For users of our Advantage custom tuning software, we are forming our certification and training program now, and will share those details directly with you once we’re finished.
That said, don’t be surprised if your device looks to be updated the next time you use it. Don’t be afraid to update it; everyone will be doing it including dealers and custom calibrators.

Dusten

Established Member
Holy shit, that's a huge judgement. Better not update your software or your devices software. Its possible remote tunes are in jeopardy, local tuners shouldn't be.

Of course, im not sure how this is enforceable as there are people who live in parts of the country where there are no emissions laws.
Emissions are a federal requirement. Just because you're state or county doesn't test doesn't mean they aren't required.

Guess I'll have to just not update my prp software or x3.

rborden

Established Member
SCT used to have firmware update files for the hand held tuners on their website.

Does anyone have any of those older firmware updates and can you still upload those older firmware files in and backflash the tuner to prevent SCT's changes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
SCT used to have firmware update files for the hand held tuners on their website.

Does anyone have any of those older firmware updates and can you still upload those older firmware files in and backflash the tuner to prevent SCT's changes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very good question.

Sent from my [trashcan S5] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread