EPA & SCT | Is the Future of Modifying Cars Over Based on This??

96gt02

Established Member
Well this kinda sucks, I imagine there will be some kind of work around for custom tuners but who knows

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Holy shit, that's a huge judgement. Better not update your software or your devices software. Its possible remote tunes are in jeopardy, local tuners shouldn't be.

Of course, im not sure how this is enforceable as there are people who live in parts of the country where there are no emissions laws.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Holy shit, that's a huge judgement. Better not update your software or your devices software. Its possible remote tunes are in jeopardy, local tuners shouldn't be.

Of course, im not sure how this is enforceable as there are people who live in parts of the country where there are no emissions laws.
Edit*

There seems to be a lot missing from the story.

One article says they agreed to settle, but Derive's press release doesn't mention the terms of the agreement.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
After the whole VW dieselgate scandal, I wouldn't put it past regulators to force this issue. And that's a terrible world to live in

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
The first wave of people who do the mandatory SCT update under implementation of the settlement will tell the tale I guess.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
This article says they have to stop selling the software...

Company penalized for disabling vehicles' emissions controls

I don't get it. Disabling those functions are intended for off-road/racing application. Race cars are exempt from emissions regs. Someone needs to be able to build and sell tuning software for race cars. It can't be that only automakers are allowed to write tunes.

And how can the government hold them accountable for a customer misusing their tool? Its like selling a screwdriver to someone, that person uses the screwdriver as a burglary tool, but they arrest you for selling the screwdriver.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
This article says they have to stop selling the software...

Company penalized for disabling vehicles' emissions controls

I don't get it. Disabling those functions are intended for off-road/racing application. Race cars are exempt from emissions regs. Someone needs to be able to build and sell tuning software for race cars. It can't be that only automakers are allowed to write tunes.

And how can the government hold them accountable for a customer misusing their tool? Its like selling a screwdriver to someone, that person uses the screwdriver as a burglary tool, but they arrest you for selling the screwdriver.

The EPA's argument is that SCT (and its dealers) knew, or reasonably should have known, that their customers were using their devices to break the law. So if you sell that same screwdriver to someone you know is going to use it as a burglary tool does that make your culpable?

There's a reason all the new SCT tuners are going to cloud based updates, so they can force these changes on end users. I talks about it a bit here:

Users who are viewing this thread