Enlisted in the Marine Corps today!

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
Join the wing..
Aircraft mechanic, crew chief or optics...
You might want to consider joining the Air Force, it's not too late.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Electronics would make a good third choice. Don't worry if you don't know the difference between a diode and a transistor now, because if you get accepted into electronics training, you will learn. There's a lot of fields you can get into in civilian life with military eectronics training.

bunk22

Established Member
And don't pay any attention to some of the comments of those who have NEVER served in the United States Marine Corps.

This is probably one the best pieces of advice in this thread. Folks who come in this thread, have never served in the Marine Corps and offer their opinion means exactly jack squat. Listen to the Marines as they offer the best advice. Good luck.

redfiresvtsnake

Established Member
Yeah i was thinking of the aviation field, but wasnt to sure about the one year of school thing. Being a marine is someting i really want to do. Going from being pampered by my parents my whole life and being out of shape to a marine is something i cant wait for. Ive already progressed from not being able to barely anything to running the 3 mile in 24 and doing 7 pull-ups 65 crunches in 2min, and 50 pushups in 2mins. I know i still got a long ways to go but if you knew me before i started all the training its a total transformation. In 2 months ive went from 246lbs to 215lbs out of shape 20 year old idiot.lol . Thanks for all the support guys! My top three choices are 1. Crewchief 2. Motor transport 3. still thiking of the third.

School is going to be less than 1 year for alot of aviation jobs. My job required me to go to school for 3 months.

ellis4

Established Member
my job (geospatial intelligence analyst.. a.k.a. TOPO), has a 9 mo. school in Washington D.C. area.. None of the horseshit being treated like a boot for 3-4 more months. You get treated more like an actual Marine there, I must say that I lucked out there.

Crewchief has an insanely long school IIRC, but unfortunately I didnt have good enough vision to take advantage of that MOS.. that was the one I really wanted.

redfiresvtsnake

Established Member
my job (geospatial intelligence analyst.. a.k.a. TOPO), has a 9 mo. school in Washington D.C. area.. None of the horseshit being treated like a boot for 3-4 more months. You get treated more like an actual Marine there, I must say that I lucked out there.

Crewchief has an insanely long school IIRC, but unfortunately I didnt have good enough vision to take advantage of that MOS.. that was the one I really wanted.
School for crew cheifs is right around i year. A few weeks of swin training in Pensacola, 3 months of mech school, and 9 months of flight school. The training is worth it in the long run.

bmxr152

SvT 4 LiFE
Established Member
3 months really hmm. im gunna think into that one. I just really hate school ya know, i like doinh hands on stuff thats why i wanted a mechanic MOS. So far you like it?

ellis4

Established Member
remember that a lot of the longer schools in the Corps can potentially give college credit. Mine did.

redfiresvtsnake

Established Member
3 months really hmm. im gunna think into that one. I just really hate school ya know, i like doinh hands on stuff thats why i wanted a mechanic MOS. So far you like it?

If you can get into enlisted aircrew(crew chief), the flight school part of your training IS hands-on. Spent flying and learning the aircraft hands-on. Honestly I would go enlisted aircrew. You'll still learn the aircraft and perform the duties of a mechanic, since you HAVE to know ho to inspect, troubleshoot, and fix the aircraft. The plus is you also get to fly and fire machine guns on the aircraft. It's a great job. It is a fast paced job too that requires you to have your head on straight. On top of it you can still get a top secret clearance if you try to go to HMX-1 Presidential helicopter squadron. I would do some time in the fleet before that though.

Last edited:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
most important piece of information in this thread.
That would be an MOS Designator of 9999 IIRC.

I thought they were phasing out TOPO Marines. And your plan is the exact one, I actually fell into and recommend as well.

Chase

Don't get suckered in to doing any desk job. You'll end up two years into your enlistment feeling like a secretery. Air traffic control does net huge pay checks when you get out. Infantry lifestyle sucks (trust me I know) but it is the true Marine Corps. Airwing is way layed back and you can relax a little bit more. If you have any questions just ask, I'm a combat correspondent (journalist) and have done almost every job in the Marine Corps.

ellis4

Established Member
That would be an MOS Designator of 9999 IIRC.

I thought they were phasing out TOPO Marines. And your plan is the exact one, I actually fell into and recommend as well.

Nah, they doubled the size of our MOS recently.

We're a critical MOS, I cant even lat move to anything other than linguist or CI if i wanted to. No B billets, nothing. The monitor wont approve it. We support nearly every mission in the Corps, even if the guys on the ground dont get our maps, i can nearly guarantee one of our products was used in the planning.

whyte_03

I got your HEMI hanging!!
Established Member
My brother signed up for the Marines this past May (he was 18). Scheduled date to leave for boot camp was 2 days after high school graduation. Had the date pushed back 2 weeks because they said they "miscounted" on the number of people scheduled to arrive that same time down in South Carolina. A week before this new date, he got really really sick so we took him to the hospital and found out his appendix collapsed and he had to have surgery to get it removed; mandatory 6 Month date push back. So my brother got really disappointed because he had himself mentally ready and pumped up to go. Well, we celebrated his Christmas with us in the beginning of November since he was going to be at boot camp for the holiday. He went to re-take his ASVAB test (since it had been so long) and he was told there that his date was pushed back to the beginning of January because they had an overload of people again. I just cannot see this coming from the Marines? He has had himself pumped and ready to go since June, and they are still pushing his dates back. On top of everything, the 2 people that he got to sign up and using him as referrals so he could have a higher rank or whatever after getting out of boot camp, he lost. They took the referrals away because they said it had been too long and he wont get a higher ranking. It seems kind of messed up to me.

But good luck to you. Hopefully you will have better luck than we are. Btw, he signed up for some kind of mechanics in the beginning, but realized he wanted to be a Sniper, so he is in for that now.

Congrats to all that join!! :beer:

usmcrebel

Established Member
0331 here, I love it...but if i had it to do over again, i would've gone Intel/ Mechanic on aircraft...due to the amount of jobs that will open up to you once your contract is up...not really many fields available to a resume "0331 machine gunner" "what did you do and what was your specialty" "i played with machine guns and shot people".....for some reason shooting people is very appealing ATC (after the Corps)

Users who are viewing this thread