Enlisted in the Marine Corps today!

bmxr152

SvT 4 LiFE
Established Member
SO yeah i just got back from Meps in LA today and enlisted in an open contract because im still trying to decide what MOS i want. I have until april 18th to choose my final mos. Anyone have an suggestions. I was thinking motor transport(mechanic) , mechanical option or basic infantry. but im not to sure yet. Anyone with prior USMC experience i would appreciate your opinions. I scored a 68 on asvab and 125 Gt 116 EL and over 100 on the last two.

bmxr152

SvT 4 LiFE
Established Member
i was thinking about mp, but i really like mechanics but there are so many mechanical fields to choose from.

ModularFan

Established Member
Honestly Dude, I think its great what you are enlisting in the marine's I am not a marine but by speaking to someone that i personally know that's a marine and hearing from other people that have relatives in the marines its not what they say it is, and your not promised what your enlisting for, I will tell you this right now, They will send you to boot camp teach how to fire gun and basically throw you into the war, until they say you can come out, I know some people may think different and may think its great, your not guranteed to come home, I have total surpport for marines. but like i said before most of the time they lie to you about thing's they only real good thing about it is if your not finianclly healthy etc, they will be for your college.

Last edited:

FICannon

Semper Fidelis
Established Member
Buddy,

I'm a Marine and I can tell you that YOU DO NOT WANT TO GO OPEN CONTRACT! They'll stick you in what ever shittie job the Corps need numbers in. Again, DO NOT GO OPEN CONTRACT! Was your ASVAB score high? If so, I would go Intel the job opportunities for when you get out are vast. Motor-T is a decent job… But do you want to be a truck driver when you get out? I strongly suggest you getting into something that will benefit you when you get out.

If you're in college stay in college.

God bless,
-Arron

Last edited:

ModularFan

Established Member
Buddy,
I'm a Marine and I can tell you that YOU DO NOT WANT OPEN CONTRACT! They'll stick you in what ever shittie job the Corps need numbers in. Again, DO NOT GO OPEN CONTRACT! Was your ASVAB score high? If so, I would go Intel the job opportunities for when you get out are vast. Motor-T is a decent job… But do you want to be a truck driver when you get out? I strongly suggest you getting in to something that will benefit you when you get out.

God bless,
-Arron

So I guess i was right on what I said, thanks for serving Marine OOO RAH.

FICannon

Semper Fidelis
Established Member
So I guess i was right on what I said, thanks for serving Marine OOO RAH.

Er, you're welcome brother!

Well, the Marine Corps will train you to Marine combat standards. They're just not going to slap a uniform on you and give you a gun and say "be the best America has to offer!" He'll get some pretty good training before he deploys.

Mach1Chick

Wanna Race?
Established Member
My brother signed up for the Marines this past May (he was 18). Scheduled date to leave for boot camp was 2 days after high school graduation. Had the date pushed back 2 weeks because they said they "miscounted" on the number of people scheduled to arrive that same time down in South Carolina. A week before this new date, he got really really sick so we took him to the hospital and found out his appendix collapsed and he had to have surgery to get it removed; mandatory 6 Month date push back. So my brother got really disappointed because he had himself mentally ready and pumped up to go. Well, we celebrated his Christmas with us in the beginning of November since he was going to be at boot camp for the holiday. He went to re-take his ASVAB test (since it had been so long) and he was told there that his date was pushed back to the beginning of January because they had an overload of people again. I just cannot see this coming from the Marines? He has had himself pumped and ready to go since June, and they are still pushing his dates back. On top of everything, the 2 people that he got to sign up and using him as referrals so he could have a higher rank or whatever after getting out of boot camp, he lost. They took the referrals away because they said it had been too long and he wont get a higher ranking. It seems kind of messed up to me.

But good luck to you. Hopefully you will have better luck than we are. Btw, he signed up for some kind of mechanics in the beginning, but realized he wanted to be a Sniper, so he is in for that now.

FordMustangLove

Lame-o
Established Member
Honestly Dude, I think its great what you are enlisting in the marine's I am not a marine but by speaking to someone that i personally know that's a marine and hearing from other people that have relatives in the marines its not what they say it is, and your not promised what your enlisting for, I will tell you this right now, They will send you to boot camp teach how to fire gun and basically throw you into the war, until they say you can come out, I know some people may think different and may think its great, your not guranteed to come home, I have total surpport for marines. but like i said before most of the time they lie to you about thing's they only real good thing about it is if your not finianclly healthy etc, they will be for your college.

:rolleyes:

Ruggerback

Established Member
i was thinking about mp, but i really like mechanics but there are so many mechanical fields to choose from.

This is something you need to talk over with your parents, or whoever you have went to, to help make life decisions. You also need consult your recruiter about the opportunities and different MOS’s the USMC have to offer. Remember you will pick a field, for instance if you pick the 2100 field which is ordinance, there are several MOS’s that fall in that category. 2111 armorer, 2161 machinist, 2141 AAV mechanic, get the point. All I can grantee is that you are in for a treat! Though it looks like you have a direction already, so I will suggest becoming a helicopter mechanic, tank mechanic (turbine), or AAV mechanic (2141) YATYAS. Motor T would be my last option..

Ruggerback

Established Member

Teach you how to fire a gun, throw you into the war, most of the time they lie, not financially healthy, not guaranteed to come home. How can you bring yourself to support these actions. :??:

FICannon

Semper Fidelis
Established Member
The Marines only give out E-2 and that's it. Not much different from E-1.

The Marines only have two boot camps so the time that he joins is crucial. Try another recruiting office.

J_ho67

MD in training
Established Member
Well all I can say is welcome to the USMC and thanks for volunteering. Don't go open contract though. Decide what you want to do stat and go with that, not open contact.

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
but like i said before most of the time they lie to you about thing's they only real good thing about it is if your not finianclly healthy etc, they will be for your college.

re-check your sources:read:
my dad was in the marines for 30 years, they do more for you then "teach you to fire a gun"

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
Sorry to say, but if you already signed the contract and enlisted as "Open Contract", then you're stuck with that. There will be no more discussions about picking MOS's. You'll be at the mercy of the needs of the Corps.

But on the flip side... I enlisted open contract and got put into an MOS that I love. Smalls Arms Repair. I get to play with guns all day.

TERMINATED97

Established Member
Congrats! It seems like yesterday that my brother joined...in reality it was about 15 months ago...He is stationed in Quantico, VA at MHX. He loves it!

SLOW95

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!
Established Member
Yeah I think SW is right you already sold your soul. But if something changed so that you can do that your GT and EL are great for better Jobs like Air Traffic Control 7257. Let me know if you have any questions.

Users who are viewing this thread