Enlisted in the Marine Corps today!

E

2008 SVTP RPS Champ
Established Member
Sorry to say, but if you already signed the contract and enlisted as "Open Contract", then you're stuck with that. There will be no more discussions about picking MOS's. You'll be at the mercy of the needs of the Corps.

But on the flip side... I enlisted open contract and got put into an MOS that I love. Smalls Arms Repair. I get to play with guns all day.

not true. i signed originally under an open contract due to me join the dep in june of 02 and then once the next fiscal year rolled around i had first dibs on the jobs my recruiters got. once oct 1st 02 hit i signed for the mos i wanted. op i didn't read all the way through but if you are interested in mechanical, look into the airwing. i'm sure someone probably already said it but you can make really good money fixing aircraft after you leave the Corps. i'm a former 0311/8152 myself. gl :beer:

E

2008 SVTP RPS Champ
Established Member
open contracts do not occur much if you score above a 50 on the asvab.

the only reason i did was because my recruiter was out of all the good jobs and so he did mine as an open contract and then let me get mine once the next fiscal year rolled around. i'm from a high recruitment area so all the good mos's are gone within the first 3/4 months of the year

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
Just to clarify to the OP, everyone keeps throwing the word "school" around here, and yes the Marines do have a lot of schools, but they are ALL hands on. No matter what school you go to you will do some class room work, then they make you prac app it until it burns into your brain (muscle memory). So don't let the word "school" deter you from any MOS because no matter what you choose, there will be a school.

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
If you can get into enlisted aircrew(crew chief), the flight school part of your training IS hands-on. Spent flying and learning the aircraft hands-on. Honestly I would go enlisted aircrew. You'll still learn the aircraft and perform the duties of a mechanic, since you HAVE to know ho to inspect, troubleshoot, and fix the aircraft. The plus is you also get to fly and fire machine guns on the aircraft. It's a great job. It is a fast paced job too that requires you to have your head on straight. On top of it you can still get a top secret clearance if you try to go to HMX-1 Presidential helicopter squadron. I would do some time in the fleet before that though.
That's exactly what i wanted to do.. So like a dumb ass i listened to my recruiter "That's a machine gunner, 0331." & that's what i got guaranteed, problem is that's not an 0331 at all. I was stuck with a line infantry platoon lugging around a M240G.:dw::lol1:

I got pwned really good..:burn: (Now that it's said and done, it was an awesome experience).

redfiresvtsnake

Established Member
That's exactly what i wanted to do.. So like a dumb ass i listened to my recruiter "That's a machine gunner, 0331." & that's what i got guaranteed, problem is that's not an 0331 at all. I was stuck with a line infantry platoon lugging around a M240G.:dw::lol1:

I got pwned really good..:burn: (Now that it's said and done, it was an awesome experience).

Wow! I've heard of recruiters burning people but that one takes the cake. At least you like the experience. I'm sure it would have been a LONG 4 years if you didn't.

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
Wow! I've heard of recruiters burning people but that one takes the cake. At least you like the experience. I'm sure it would have been a LONG 4 years if you didn't.
lol, yea.. Full metal jacket was / is a favorite movie of mine. So when i saw those gunners on the helo's gunning down the 'bad guys', i was like that's the job i want..:rockon:

Went with that to my local recruiting office and got guaranteed machine gunner..:lol1:

You should've seen my face in SOI when they handed me my assignment..:eek:
At the end of the day, i always wanted to be a Marine, so i was good to go!:rockon:
I just grew to despise POGEs, cause i wanted to skate like them.:-D

Users who are viewing this thread