Engine Whine.....HELP!!!

TorchedSnake

Established Member
I have an '04 with a 2.3 whipple full Metco pully kit and just had a stage 2 build on my tranny.......what I'm getting at is I have a whine like a loose belt sound coming from under my car around the transmission area. It has gotten progressively louder over the last few months. Changed belts..... Had the tranny rebuilt by Texas Drive Performance......it makes the sound once the car is up to temp.

Any help with this would be awesome.

Thanks

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Give some details on the noise. Like does the noise change pitch as the engine RPMs change? or vehicle speed? does the noise go away with clutch in or out etc?

TorchedSnake

Established Member
The noise doesn't change or go away when the clutch is in or out.....I only hear it at idle once the engine is warmed up.....does't really make the noise or as loud when it is cold......doesn't sound like it changes with speed or rpm.....my exhaust is a little on the louder side so it's a little hard to tell but it doesn't sound like it.......The sound is almost like a loose belt sound and it goes in and out its not a constant whine or squeal.

And Stage 2 it what he calls the build they did. TDP specializes in T56 transmissions

Here is what was done....not all constitutes the stage 2 some other stuff needed replaced outside the stage 2 build

26-spline input, Cobra T56
T56 Countershaft
Countershaft bearings/races
3rd Gear
Billet Throwout brg sleeve
Diamond Clutch, Stg2 Basic kit w/ Billet Flywheel
T56 Upgrade Kit, Billet keys/Fork pads Modify quadrant.

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
When fully warmed and you hear the noise have you tried removing the serpentine belts and fired it up to see if the noise goes away? start with just the supercharger belt.

TorchedSnake

Established Member
I don't know what you mean by just leaving the supercharger belt......there is only one belt for everything......also the sound is not coming from the belt it is around the bellhousing.....that is why I had the transmission rebuilt (plus the whine from the worn counter and input shafts and 3rd gear being worn).......could a sound like this be from a worn main or rod bearing......I've never heard a noise like this from something like that but I know enough to be dangerous......

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I meant remove only the supercharger belt and fire up to see if noise is gone. If not then remove the other belt. There are two. You said it sounded like a belt whine is why I suggested that.

If it's a much worse sound it gets harder to find. When you removed the transmission did you start the engine to see if the noise was gone with the transmission removed? That would have isolated it to be the transmission for sure.

I had a similar issue a few years ago. I was so convinced it was in the transmission because the bell housing sound was so loud. I pulled the transmission and fired the car up and sure enough the noise was still there so clearly it was not my transmission. I used a mechanics stethescope and really struggled to isolate a part of the engine till I stuck it on the exhaust pipe a few inches behind the manifolds. Immediately I noticed the passenger's side exhaust resonated the sound much louder than the driver's side. This narrowed it down to one half of the engine. At that point I started disconnecting one fuel injector and one spark plug at a time trying to isolate a specific cylinder. My #4 was the cause. Piston issue.

Do you have any video of the sound? Usually a worn main or rod bearing produces a knocking sound but not always. I've seen a spun rod bearing that made a loud squealing sound. It was an LS motor with stock rod bolts that the guy got tuned and was revving to high. Appears the rod bolts stretched and the bearing walked and caused it oiling issues. There was no knock at all, just a loud squealing sound and his sounded like it was coming from the bell housing or transmission too. His oil also had metallic flakes in it. Have you checked your oil?
This is what his rod bearing looked like.

IMAG0583.jpg

TorchedSnake

Established Member
Unfortunately I was not there when the tranny was pulled.....good thought though I did not think of that.......I will try to get a video of the sound up as soon as I get home

TorchedSnake

Established Member
20131112 173808 - YouTube

Here is the link to YouTube.......you can hear a squealing noise go in and out a few times.....I know what sound a spun bearing makes....I had one on an sn95 I used to have but it IS coming from under the car around where the tranny meets the engine.........?

Last edited:

TorchedSnake

Established Member
Just had all the trans rebuilt

26-spline input, Cobra T56
T56 Countershaft
Countershaft bearings/races
3rd GearBillet Throwout brg sleeve
Diamond Clutch, Stg2 Basic kit w/ Billet Flywheel
T56 Upgrade Kit, Billet keys/Fork pads

But no whether the clutch is in or out it still makes the noise

Last edited:

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
Is your A/C on. The noise is coming and going like the a/c compressor is cycling on and off. Is the mode turned off? Make sure it's not on a/c or defrost. Another component that could cycle like that would be the alternator possible. Are you in an enclosed area like a garage when the video was made? Very loud......

Did they replace the pilot bearing/bushing?

Last edited:

TorchedSnake

Established Member
The video was taken with my phone in the driveway......I stuck my phone under the car by the bell housing because that is where the noise is coming from......I have had my car on the lift while running and the noise is definitely coming from that area even had a stethoscope ......like I said before my tranny has been completely rebuilt.......so my concern is maybe a main/rod bearing going out but that is usally a ticking type sound not a squeal........I'm trying to avoid taking this thing apart......... the noise has and is getting progressively louder

Users who are viewing this thread