engine swap coming up

2000SuperStang

Project SuperStang
Established Member
Dude, you're the best!!

I really thank all of you guys willing to help me with this project. When I do get done with this, my cobra may be "fake." and everything else people wanna say. But the bottom line is I didn't want to spend 20,000 on a stock cobra that I was going to tear apart and make my own anyway. I spent 4,000 on a v6 3 years ago, that has only 25,000 miles on it and was in great shape. I since have changed almost every body piece. When it is done, it will be MY car, not someone elses I bought. To me, that means more.

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
i think its a great project. when i had my 02 v6 all i ever wanted was a v8 swap. its great to see you going through with this. honestly i support you 100% and if your only about an hour or so away from me i would be willing to give you a hand if/when you need

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
2000SuperStang said:
Dude, you're the best!!

I really thank all of you guys willing to help me with this project. When I do get done with this, my cobra may be "fake." and everything else people wanna say. But the bottom line is I didn't want to spend 20,000 on a stock cobra that I was going to tear apart and make my own anyway. I spent 4,000 on a v6 3 years ago, that has only 25,000 miles on it and was in great shape. I since have changed almost every body piece. When it is done, it will be MY car, not someone elses I bought. To me, that means more.

you might not wanna call me DUDE... since I'm a chick ;-)

I think your project is awesome, if your cobra is "fake" so is mine, I bought my 03 GT from the dealership brand new and I did the Cobra motor swap. what matters is that it's your car and your ideas.
keep us updated on how it goes and post pics of the progress :beer:

Last edited:

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
huge project! But very exciting! Just take your time and I don't think you'll have any problems...car is pretty slick...please just get rid of the grill and tail lights! The 01 style cobra rear lights are my favorite...they'd look awesome on that car! keep us posted!

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
N/Angel said:
you might not wanna call me DUDE... since I'm a chick ;-)

I think your project is awesome, if your cobra is "fake" so is mine, I bought my 03 GT from the dealership brand new and I did the Cobra motor swap. what matters is that it's your car and your ideas.
keep us updated on how it goes and post pics of the progress :beer:

I can almost guarantee that I've seen your car in a magazine or a website or somewhere before

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
When I offered my advice it was brushed off like I knew nothing, and got no gratitude for my advice, but rather just some "you do not know" type of responses.

I've done a few of these swaps and helped a bunch of people with theirs.

Established Member
2000SuperStang said:
006, since you have done this before, please give me any advice and/or tips you have. thanks!

Here is a little list I had compiled for the swap I did for my customer with the red mustang. (You may not need some of these since your car is a 2000, but it should help you understand what you'll need)

Done - Engine
Done - Radiator F8ZZ8005AACP
Order - Radiator Fan XR3X-8C607AA
Done - Radiator Top Clip Bracket XR3Z-8A193AA
Done - Hydro Booster XR3Z-2005AA
Done - Master Cylinder XR3Z-2140AA
Done - Master Cylinder Valve XR3Z-2K301AA
Done - A/C Condenser 3R3Z-19712AA
Done - A/C Accumulator 3R3Z-19C836AA
Done - Crash Monitor Air Bag Shock Sensor YR3Z-14B321AA
Done – Cobra Taillight Harness XR3Z-13410BB, XR3Z-13410BA
Done - Gas Tank
Done - (Gas) Fuel Filler Neck
Done - Windshield Wiper Motor
Done - CCRM 1R3Z-12B577
Done - Coolant Overflow Reservoir YR3Z-8A080BA
Done - Windshield Washer Fluid Basin F7ZZ-17618AA
Done - Right side fender canister
Done - Cap Assembly For Coolant Overflow Reservoir F6DZ-8100A
Done - Gas Pump Ford SVT Focus Pump 3S4Z-9H307-BC
Order - Aluminum Drive Shaft M-4602-J
Order - Cobra Exhaust Need to order or get -
Steeda Tri-ax Need to order or get -
Steeda Drive Shaft Spacer Need to order or get -
Radio Harness Question -
Dash Harness Question -
Cruise Control Module Question -
Center Console Harness Question -
Relay Question –
Cup Housing for Gas Tank Neck -
Door/Window Harness -
Cobra Hood –
Clutch/Brake Pedal –
Shifter Boot and/or Assembly in Center Console –
Heat Plate at Shifter -
Master Cylinder Lines -
Proportioning Valve Modification -
A/C Hose -
Heater Hose -
8.8 Rear End

Links to Cobra swaps I've done:

http://www.mustangworld.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=239846

and

http://www.lamustangclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3153

If you need more advice, lemme know.

Established Member
More info:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326631&highlight=dash

Dashboard removal:

Take center console out. (remove shifter bezel, remove the bolts inside the console compartment, and the 2 hex screws bolting it to the dash. Also unplug the lighter plugs and the center console harness from the dash one). Extract the center console.

*All these bolts mentioned below are GOLD in color*

Take the four (4) 14mm-15mm steering column nuts out. The steering wheel drops down. You can detach it very easily with just one bolt. See 2nd Cobra swap link for pics of this part.

Take dashboard windshield vent cover off. Remove the 4-6 bolts off. (8-10mm)

Remove the panels above driver's knee. On the left secured to the frame will be a large bolt. 15mm? Remove it. There should be one on the passenger side also. Remove that as well. You might need to remove the glove box to access it. There should be 2 other smaller ones on both sides remove those as well.

On the center dashboard right foward of the center console area hidden by the carpeting, remove 2 bolts on the driver's side, and 2 on the passenger side. (do not remove the green GROUNDING bolt).

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
006 said:
On the center dashboard right foward of the center console area hidden by the carpeting, remove 2 bolts on the driver's side, and 2 on the passenger side. (do not remove the green GROUNDING bolt).

crap, forgot about those on my list :nonono:

svo600

Established Member
this may have already been posted but youll need a hydraboost brake booster the 6cyl wont fit with that cobra motor you swapping.

2000SuperStang

Project SuperStang
Established Member
Crap, I had wandered about that. Cuz the v6 brake booster is huge. Can these be obtained from a gt as well??? There's like 10 junkyards in my area, but no cobras, lots of gt's though. Let me know the interchangeability of this brake booster.

2000SuperStang

Project SuperStang
Established Member
Crap, I had wandered about that. Cuz the v6 brake booster is huge. Can these be obtained from a gt as well??? There's like 10 junkyards in my area, but no cobras, lots of gt's though. Let me know the interchangeability of this brake booster.

Established Member
2000SuperStang said:

Yes a GT one will work.

If your car has ABS, make sure to get an ABS one...and vice versa.

The links in my sig should show how the lines need to be modified, but with a 2000 model, you might not need to change the proportioning valve...plus if you look at the GT swap link in my sig, you'll see that the 2003 V6 prop valve was a direct fit for the hydrobooster, except you need to bend the lines a little. (see 2nd Cobra swap link on what to use for bending the lines).

You cannot use any 96-98 hydrobooster units.

Users who are viewing this thread