engine swap coming up

2000SuperStang

Project SuperStang
Established Member
I'm kind of new here. I joined this forum when I had an SVT focus. Anyway, I have since aquired a v6 mustang in great shape for very cheap and decided to use it as a project car. Anyway, I got it looking very nice, and now is time to say good-bye to that v6. I bought a '01 cobra engine, tranny, wiring harness, computer, gauge cluster, and an '02 GT rearend and drive shaft. I'm looking at starting the swap this weekend and finishing it next weekend. I also have ordered a BBK cai, bbk off-road pipe, slp loudmouth catback, frpp 4.10 gears, and underdrive pulleys.

Anything I should know in advance about doing this? Will I run into any problems? I'd like to know of difficulties before hand. Please, any help is greatly appreciated!!

I will keep you all updated on the progress of the swap.:pepper: :pepper: :pepper:

Here she is:

13.jpg

12a.jpg

1a.jpg

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
Neat Idea... Welcome.
Your taste is body mods seems quite different than the norm on this board, but I love something different.

Also both the GT and V6 have 8.8s and the same brakes.

Don't feel down if we call you Fobra from now on.

2000SuperStang

Project SuperStang
Established Member
It's the lambo doors, I know it! ha I decided to take a different approach to the body mods, yes, to make it different then any other mustang. I think it turned out good body wise, nothing wrong with a little rice.

Anyway, so I don't need to swap the rearend at all, the stock 6 banger is ok?? If that's true I can return that and save $700.

Once again, thanks guys!

wallie40

Established Member
I dont think that the V6 rearend is a 8.8 in your year, i am pretty sure that it is a 7.5.

KXT is getting at the brakes(Calipers/Rotors) and the brackets are the same. You should be able to use the ABS sensors and emergency cables too.

Swaping out the rearend is straight forward. Shouldnt be hard since all the right parts are already there.

-pAul

2000SuperStang

Project SuperStang
Established Member
thanks!

Another thing I'm concerned about is will the gauge cluster work? Does it have to be calibrated?? Will the PATS be a problem?

If you know of anything else I might be looking at please let me know. I'd much rather like to know now rather then be stuck with something later.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
check the connectors underneath the passenger side kickpanel, on the pcm and dash harness... I had to change my dash harness to make the 99 Cobra motor work... but I have a 03 GT... from 00 to 01 it might not be necessary.
oh and lots of patience swapping the fenderwell harness to... it is a pita!!

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Interesting project definitely! I'd be curious to know if there is a difference in the body weight between a v6 and the Cobra? Maybe a little less nvh material in the v6?

Perhaps since you've already got the '00R wing and you're swapping in the Cobra engine you might want to consider the 00R hood & front fascia too? The Cervinis stuff is pretty light and good quality. Just a thought!

Keep us posted on how it goes!

Edit: Crap I didn't see the second pic where you already have the 00R front and hood! :(

Last edited:

JP Cobra

Sarcasm at its Finest
Established Member
An interesting project. I like the creativity. Odd side skirts, more pics?

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Looks like he already has a 00R hood.

Cervinis and lightweight dont quite go in the same sentence together. The Cervinis '00R hood that I took off the race car weighed in at 43lbs.

Lightweight would be a Niche Performance carbon fiber '00R hood.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
99COBRA2881 said:
Looks like he already has a 00R hood.

Cervinis and lightweight dont quite go in the same sentence together. The Cervinis '00R hood that I took off the race car weighed in at 43lbs.

Lightweight would be a Niche Performance carbon fiber '00R hood.
Huh, I didn't know that, I just figured since it was fiberglass and all. How much does the stocker weigh and how much does this c/f one cost?

2000SuperStang

Project SuperStang
Established Member
Yep, i have all the body parts. All the '00 R body parts are from Ford. Check out my sig to see all body parts. And let the record stand, that I do not drive this all cobra outed with the v6 engine in it, this sits in my garage as a project car, but will be out and about as soon as this engine swap gets done. I will see if I can post more pics later this afternoon!

Last edited:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
im glad you already have the svt badge and snakes on there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread