Engine stumble issue, beware of K&N FIPK, my story.

pdube1

Established Member
Hi,I had a engine stumble problem this summer, I lost my car for almost 2 months, pretty long considering the summer here last about 5 months.
So I want to share my story so if it happens to someone, then you will know what happened to me.
My car has a K&N FIPK air intake which work very well for my application. At the beginning of the summer I decided to remove the FIPK assembly for little cleanup.
Some time after, I decided to accelerate harder for fun. All of a sudden, under acceleration the engine stumbled. At first, I thought it was the traction control that kicked in and didn't mind much.
Some time later, it did the same thing, but that time, I put more attention and then deactivated the traction control, well, it did the same thing!
As I needed to get my car to the garage for transmission rebuild and a new clutch, I asked my mechanic to look at this engine stumble problem. So he data logged the car and everything was looking good. Spark plug were ok, FRPS was ok, well the only thing he thought that could caused this problem was a faulty fuel pump. So we ordered fuel pumps and replaced them. It took 3 weeks just to receive the pumps from Walbro. During that time I was affraid using my car so I did drive it.
To bad, even with the new fuel pumps the engine still stumbled. I asked him if it could be the MAF, so he replaced the MAF with one he had in his back store and gave it a try. Surprise, issue fixed with the other MAF. So I went back home, once almost arrived, I did accelerate hard, and again, engine stumbled!
My mechanic then asked me to play with the wire coming from the MAF. I started the car and pulled on the wires coming from the MAF, engine completely stalled! Here was the problem, the K&N filter is fixed on a metal plate that attached to the MAF, the wire harness was under this metal plate. So when the engine shift right because of the torque, the metal plat squeezed one of the MAF wire that is in the harness and then it caused the wire to be grounded, that is why the engine was stumbling under acceleration!
So guys having K&N FIPK, please look at the wire and make sure they are not under the metal plate attaching the air filter to the MAF!
Some electrical tape and re-routing of the wire harness fixed my issue! BTW, I replaced a RAM clutch to a McLeod RXT, and let me tell you, it's not the same car!!! :)

pdube1

Established Member
You think this could only happen to me and I should have not shared this?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
in this case it sounds like it was an installation error - it does not sound like the problem was specifically with k&n.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
in this case it sounds like it was an installation error - it does not sound like the problem was specifically with k&n.

That's were I was going with my reply.
Plenty of high HP cars still running this intake, and actually it was one of the first out when we got them new.
Sorry I didn't clarify in my reply. Thanks for the heads up.
Ignore the trolls. I post, they follow. Lol

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Op I feel bad with all that money you spent trying to find the problem. When indeed you should have looked at the last part you installed when the problems started.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
That's the chance you take when putting on Anything Non-Oem. Glad to see you found the culprit.

Users who are viewing this thread