!!! Engine Noise !!!

SVPAM

Established Member
Hi Guys,

I found a noise in the engine last night
when the car is cool the engine is roughing !
Idler cont is clean, fuel pumps is new, injec are clean, t.b is ok
Also, I feel that there is decrease in power
After 2 runs I heard the noise
it's like ''tick tick'' and it's increases with gas paddle
The mechanic sow it quickly without opening any thing it was only check
he told me that the valvetrain is smooth, it could be the pin of the con rods
OR I said maybe it's the lifters
Does the lifters usually weak and need to replace ?

Mods : LT, x pipe, exhaust, JLT 12'', 2.6KB, 60lb injec, dual ford gt pumps, NGK TR6IX, aux idler, cooling mods
18lb with race gas (C16 ) Leaded
Hot weather
55000 Miles on the car

Is there is famous engine noise in the 03/04 ? what could be the problem
Is there a step to follow it ?

thanks guys

forcefedcobra

Established Member
could be head tick, lifter sticking, piston skirt rattling, etc, etc.

I have a similar noise and will be swapping motors this weekend. I'll have more info once the old motor is pulled.

SVPAM

Established Member
This is video , sorry for bad qualtiy but I want to load it quick

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2nMjFLOg1U"]YouTube - Engine Noise 1[/ame]

forcefedcobra

Established Member
I dont really hear much in the video but judging by the fact that you are focusing the attention of the video around the blower............my guess is the noise is coming from around there? Injectors? maybe a leak from the gasket under the blower?

bigmoose

Established Member
if its down on power and sounds like a loud ticking i would do a compression test and go from there. have you checked the plugs yet?

Cobreezy

Established Member
I started having a similar noise as you have about a couple of days ago. It seems to get louder as the car gets warmer. It doesn't sound like a "tick", but more like a "clunk" noise coming from the heads. I'm going to try and listen for the source using a screw driver.

SVPAM

Established Member
what does it mean !!!
Is it valve train problem , valves , lifters , floweres or short bolck ???
Could it be the oil level, I found mine need something like 1/4-1/2 bottle of oil !
BTW I'm using 10w30 Castrol

forcefedcobra

Established Member
what is the head tick exactly ???
Is it a problem in 03/04's ?
Also, what is the couses do you guys think ?

do a search on here and you can learn all you want. The head tick was especially a problem with early production 03's but has also been known to happen even on late production 04's.

the problem is valve wear. the valve rattles around in the head. it is said that the jan 05 revised heads fix this issue and the cooling passage ussue that can aid in getting the dreaded head tick.

If you do have "the tick" you can send your heads off to have them worked over or buy some new jan 05 revised heads.

Its very rare for the head tick to develop after 20k from what so many 'tick' guys have reported. Its not out of the realm of possibility but I think a compression test is good advice as far as starting with diagnosing the problem. You might as well start there to eliminate motor damage.

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
I coudln't hear anything in the video. But if it increases under engine load not rpms, its probalby not the valvetrain. Then you would be looking more at a spun bearing or piston issue. But I would think either of those would of been audible in the video....

SVPAM

Established Member
Is it possible to contact Ford Mother company so they can send to a near dealr to let them to replace the heads to 05 revised design under warranty ??
Or I forget it we are in 2008 !!!

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I coudln't hear anything in the video. But if it increases under engine load not rpms, its probalby not the valvetrain. Then you would be looking more at a spun bearing or piston issue. But I would think either of those would of been audible in the video....

Well said...but seriously could you have posted a more awful quality video...get a better video so we can help!

Users who are viewing this thread