Embargo is lifted!! offical info on the 2011 Mustang GT

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Step 1) Someone make a slightly larger size retro-copy of the original 5.0 badge.

Step 2) Ford: Awesome job overall; but please. FIX THE REAR END. It looks like ass; bad pun intended.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
why? so you can go back to an engine that's making less power than your Cobra did when it was stock?

Well it's not just about power for me, I want a newer car. The new Mustangs handle better, have nicer interiors, are lighter, have a warranty, etc..It's pretty much why I sold my fbody for a Cobra, with the nitrous my WS6 was faster than my current Cobra. I'd rather have the nicer overall car.

Last edited:

LaFlavor

Established Member
I wish they would show a hp and torque curve. Oh well, they did mention in the "deep dive" article on the engine that it would be making well over 300 lb*ft over most of the rpm range. Damnit, I want one.

Toofer89

Established Member
So let me just say that someone said "trashy 5.0 emblems" and Im a little offended. I happen to own an 89 5.0 and I like it.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
why? so you can go back to an engine that's making less power than your Cobra did when it was stock?

Yeah,equipped with a supercharger:banana:

and yeah....a run of a mill Mustang GT vs a limited production SVT Cobra

maybe we should compare it to a 390hp 38k Cobra vs a 540 45k GT500

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member

I wonder who in their right mind paid $38,000 for a 03 Cobra. :lol: MSRP was $34K and most didn't even pay that much.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

werd. not to mention one thats not built for boost......

that 5.0 will be a great engine, but its still limited since its designed with natural aspiration in mind. A motor designed with boost in mind will always have far more potential out of the box. You dont have to build the 03/04 Cobra motor to handle 500-600-700+hp, it does that already (even more with snails). Starting with 412/390 is a nice point, but methinks the 5.0 Coyote is still going to be limited to the same 500ish area that the n/a 4.6L got to that "borrowed time" area. Only time a 03/04 Cobra motor is on borrowed time is with bad tuning.

Id keep the Cobra but guys with simple bltons/pulley swaps/tune will need to be mindful whether its a 2011 GT or 2010, as im pretty sure a 2011 GT with boltons/tune will edge out a 03/04 Cobra with the mods i listed above.

Its going to be a great car, and those who said the muscle car war is over (me included) are eating our words with this new mustang incarnation. Ford is stepping to the plate and finding ways to meet mandated MPG while still finding how to make more power.

Thursday

Tu ne cede malis
Established Member
Nice engine but I'm bored with the retro styling. Get risky and create something new, no more throwback. I know, I know. The market is perfect for the baby boomers wanting to relive their high school years. Let Camilo loose on a ground up reconstruction of the Mustang, I promise I'll be first in line!

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member

the "equipped with a supercharger" is the same damn thing that the LSx folk complain about when you beat them..

hmmm, MSRP on an 03 Cobra was 34,750.. I paid 30,750 for mine (an 03, 04's were already on the lot)

and yes, people DO compare it to a 45K 540 hp GT500..

snakecharmer

Established Member
Step 1) Someone make a slightly larger size retro-copy of the original 5.0 badge.

Step 2) Ford: Awesome job overall; but please. FIX THE REAR END. It looks like ass; bad pun intended.

Agreed. The rear is a total turn off. They need to fix the pig-snout on the Shelby's nose as well and lose the hideous stripe of cheap black plastic on the hood vent.

R1der

SVT Vet
Established Member
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlR8hbpkHkw&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- 2011 Ford Mustang 5.0L V8[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwvLEx10KgE&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- 2011 Mustang 5.0L V8 Dyno Test[/ame]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread