Embargo is lifted!! offical info on the 2011 Mustang GT

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Wow, 235 series tires standard on the Mustang GT! Is that a bad joke? Someone must have forgot to tell Ford this car has REAL power now and it needs REAL tires.

235 tires with 390 ft-lbs. of torque! I see lots of Mustangs wrapped around trees in the future.

Shoot, 19x9" looks to be the widest wheel and they will probably only run a 255 on that wheel. I think Ford dropped the ball on the wheels and tires.

Why is Ford stuck on narrow tires? The GT500 tires are too small and certainly a 235 is too small for a 412/390 Mustang GT. The cost between 235 and 275 is not significant. Especially when we are talking about a $30k car.

The GT should have 275 tires standard in my opinion. At the very least, 255's standard and 275's on the Track Pack.

The damn 370z has wider tires with less weight and less power.

Ahh it's the GTO all over again!! I think at stock power levels it will be okay since it has a bit more sidewall. Of course I would LOVE if they put a wider tire on there, but it won't stop me from buying one. If the GTO did okay traction wise with 400b-ft and a 245 tire with less sidewall I think it will be okay.

Formula51

Established Member
Ahh it's the GTO all over again!! I think at stock power levels it will be okay since it has a bit more sidewall. Of course I would LOVE if they put a wider tire on there, but it won't stop me from buying one. If the GTO did okay traction wise with 400b-ft and a 245 tire with less sidewall I think it will be okay.

Well, the GTO ran 245's because of space limitations. You can not fit much biggger on there, especially with a "factory" look.

The GTO also benefitted from better weight balance and more weight on the rear wheels (due to balance and its greater overall weight).

The GTO also didn't come with 3.73 rear gears as an option and I am thinking the transmission gearing in 1st gear was less aggresive.

Formula51

Established Member
I'd bet this is the reason

But the gas mileage isn't even impressive. Doesn't it only get one mpg better on the highway than the 250+lbs. heavier and more powerful Camaro SS (which has 275 rear tires)?

Then again, if 275 tires would have made the gas mileage worse than the Camaro, that would look real bad. Sooo, perhaps you are correct.

In my opinion, Ford is still behind in terms of gas mileage with their V8's. The V6 is very impressive though.

Last edited:

Formula51

Established Member
No biggie. I bet the majority of new GT buyers wont even give the gas mileage too much thought.

Hmm, you think. Maybe with gas prices where they are now, but when they go back up, every mpg will matter. More so on a $30k volume car that people daily drive like the Mustang GT and Camaro SS than say a more expensive and often second car like the GT500 or a Corvette.

Obviously Ford thinks it matters because if the decision to use 235 tires was for gas mileage then they compromised performance and potentially safety to advertise better gas mileage.

I wonder if the 3.55 or 3.73 performance axle option will mandate that you get wider wheels/tires? Can you imagine the rubber this car would lay down with 412/390, 3.73 gears, and 235 tires! haha.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread