EGR delete Pros & Cons

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Unfortunately I can't search on three lettered words and nobody types out exhaust gas recirculation lol.

So anyhow I'm putting in a 2.9 Whipple and considering the EGR delete. I wanted to hear from some real world experience with the delete.

To me it seems the pros are it'll keep the blower casing a lot cooler because you won't have that hot exhaust coming up and in. But will it really be cooler? I mean it is bolted to the engine absorbing a huge amount of heat anyways.

Cons are that in normal cruise you'll no longer have EGR which for those that don't know recirculates exhaust gas into the intake which saves on gas mileage. When you have less fresh air going into a cylinder and some inert exhaust gas the computer can squirt less fuel and still be on target for 14.7:1 AF ratio. Difference this makes realistically? dunno, 1 mpg? 1/2? if so that's nothing on a car that already drinks gas down like a mofo lol. Although when I DD this thing around in the summer any bit of mileage helps but if it really is heating up the casing a bunch and killing HP then no way.
Of course it also reduces emissions but nobody cars on a toy car like this.

Info, comments, suggestions?

cbr repsol

Established Member
ive heard it does nothing for performance + or -.

pos is u can see the blower...lol

neg not smog legal at least in cali

Ironhand

Banned
My ported eaton car had 12 degree lower IAT2 temps without EGR. It also took a shorter period of time for the IAT2 temp to drop back down to normal after a long WOT pull.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Those exhaust gases being recirculated actually cool off the intake tract to cool combustion temps. It turns off at wot but at cruising and part throttle it keeps the temps cooler not make them warmer.

speeddemon2000

Established Member
Pro: It makes blower removal easier. Not that you'll be doing that alot but It's one less thing to have to deal with if the engine has to come out.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
My ported eaton car had 12 degree lower IAT2 temps without EGR. It also took a shorter period of time for the IAT2 temp to drop back down to normal after a long WOT pull.

Did you loose any gas mileage once you did the EGR delete?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Pro's: cleaner engine bay
Cons: loss of gas mileage, no performance increase, hotter cylinder temps

Not sure I can come to a conclusion logically on my own about this one. Care to elaborate how lack of recirculating the hot exhaust gases back into the engine causes higher cylinder temps?

Those exhaust gases being recirculated actually cool off the intake tract to cool combustion temps. It turns off at wot but at cruising and part throttle it keeps the temps cooler not make them warmer.

96stangt is correct that without the EGR in place normal cruise will have hotter cylinder temps. However he's incorrect in saying it's because the exhaust gases cool off the intake tract as they recirculate to cool combustion temps. In fact quite the opposite the hot exhaust gasses heat the intake or in our case the blower which is why IronHand above posted lower IAT2 temps after removing it.

The recirculated inert exhaust gases going back into the intake displace the amount of combustible fresh air going into the cylinder so there's less combustion, less fuel used (hence better gas mileage), and less cylinder heat.

Really I'd like to remove mine to get a less heat on the blower but just a few degrees won't be worth it if it kills my gas mileage any worse than it already is. How much my gas mileage will reduce is the big unknown for me.

LSUstang05

Established Member
I did EGR delete on mine because if it started to stick or started to have vacuum leaks it would need to be taken out/replaced so I got rid of it. I'll update this thread after I finish another tank of gas to see where my gas mileage is in the city. Normally it's about 15-16 city and about 18-20 highway. On my way back from Baton Rouge this weekend I got 16mpg but I did quite a few (like 8-10) 3rd-4th gear pulls since it was just tuned and I hadn't driven it in 2 weeks :lol:

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
Subscribing. I would like to do this for the simple reason it looks like a figging birds nest on the side of my blower! Also, if I go with a return style fuel system in the future doesn't that eliminate the EGR anyway?

Ironhand

Banned

Yup. You cant reburn burnt exhaust gases.

Did you loose any gas mileage once you did the EGR delete?

Nope, still got 22-23mpg depending on how I drove it.

I removed it because it helped my blower heatsoak and dropped IAT2 temps. It took longer for the car to get to the 140 temp range to pull timing.

stal94gt

Established Member
i removed my egr when i swapped out my blower just cause it was one last thing to get back on the car. since then i could not tell you if the gas milage is that worse with out it cause the car gets bad gas milage ever since i put the 2.9 on.

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
I've been debating on doing it, but it looks to be necessary for the Lethal budget return kit that I'm installing this winter. The kit appears to have the regulator mounted in place of the FRPS on the fuel rail right next to the EGR bracket.

I dont really want to disturb the factory setup electrically, because I've done this on previous cars which tends to lead to almost a pure race car instead of street car.

it would be great to drop my IAT2's even further..... the cooler the better. Since I have had the killer chiller I have never seen my IAT2's higher than 115* and that was rare, most of the time I will see a spike up high 90*s immediatly after WOT run with throttle plate closed leaving system with basically EGR gases, the boost bypass, and what little gets through the TB closed .......which quickly drops as soon as I re-open the accelerator for normal cruising.

Last edited:

rudycobra

Established Member
Pro:
d0612f21-bb80-a9f8.jpg

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Nope, still got 22-23mpg depending on how I drove it.

Wow what's your secret? I never even saw that stock and I purchased my car brand new. Best I ever saw while cruising back and forth to work was 19 mpg and that was a fair 50/50 mix of city highway easy driving. If I hit boost here and there and had some fun with the car 16s. When I romped on it a lot having fun "cruising" with friends more like 13s or 14s.

Since I lowered my compression I see consistent 14s with an occasional 15 mpg in there. Wish I could go back in time and kick my ass for lowering the compression lol.

Ironhand

Banned
Wow what's your secret? I never even saw that stock and I purchased my car brand new. Best I ever saw while cruising back and forth to work was 19 mpg and that was a fair 50/50 mix of city highway easy driving. If I hit boost here and there and had some fun with the car 16s. When I romped on it a lot having fun "cruising" with friends more like 13s or 14s.

Since I lowered my compression I see consistent 14s with an occasional 15 mpg in there. Wish I could go back in time and kick my ass for lowering the compression lol.

Its all in how I drove the car to be honest.

Whats your compression? Im too lazy to do math right now. :)

Users who are viewing this thread