Ecoboost Coyote GT500

CO Mack

Established Member
Why would you hope for a V6 in a GT500? Do you actually think the V6 from a 400K supercar will bear any resemblance to anything Ford would be willing to stuff in a sub-100K muscle car? No. Way.

It's also going to be in the Raptor...

For me the "King of the Road" Mustang would be a higher tech corner carver. V6 EB with carbon bodywork and some other fanciness, I'm in.

I like the 13-14 GT500 a lot too, BTW.

Last edited:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
It's also going to be in the Raptor...

For me the "King of the Road" Mustang would be a higher tech corner carver. V6 EB with carbon bodywork and some other fanciness, I'm in.

I like the 13-14 GT500 a lot too, BTW.

KR, was never a corner carver. The next GT500 needs to compete with the upcoming ZL1. V8 TVS with manual and automatics. If you think you're gonna steal any sales from the ZL1 it better not have a V6.

CO Mack

Established Member
KR, was never a corner carver. The next GT500 needs to compete with the upcoming ZL1. V8 TVS with manual and automatics. If you think you're gonna steal any sales from the ZL1 it better not have a V6.

I don't really care about the ZL1 or their buyers. I'm simply commenting on the GT500 I'd like to see. I think we're getting up to torque levels way beyond what street tires can hold. I don't really see the reason to do a V8 in the car when I'd bet they could get into the 600's with a beast of a torque curve at a price point that fits the car, but again, that's just what I'd be interested in buying. A cheaper Porsche GT2, not a Ford ZL1 or Hellcat.

Last edited:

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
People werent as gay for automatics as they are now. And im not saying that to start shit, but it seems that only recently has the trend swayed towards automatics as being an actual viable option for performance cars. Nowadays if a car doesnt come with it its a con, whereas before it was the other way around.

When the terminator was top dog, the C6Z took its place, then everyone started moving to GTR's. Nissan made a platform that moped the street scene pretty good until Ford, Chevy, And Dodge started upping the game with better technology in their cars. Hey atleast auto's evolved to the point where they are competitive on the street. I still would take a traditional 5/6 speed for the fun factor but auto's have came a long way in the last 5-7 years for sure.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I don't really care about the ZL1 or their buyers. I'm simply commenting on the GT500 I'd like to see. I think we're getting up to torque levels way beyond what street tires can hold. I don't really see the reason to do a V8 in the car when I'd bet they could get into the 600's with a beast of a torque curve at a price point that fits the car, but again, that's just what I'd be interested in buying. A cheaper Porsche GT2, not a Ford ZL1 or Hellcat.

The ZL1/HC/GT500 is all the same buyer. If there weren't such absurb markups on A8 HC's I'd buy one. I've never owned a dodge. As of now I plan to purchase a 2017 ZL1 because Ford isn't offering anything to compete currently. I also want the A10. I've had 2 cobras(97 and 04) and 2 GT500s (09 and 12).

With the correct tire size, suspension, and traction controls you can make a big hp/tq car hook. My CTSVcoupe has gone 1.7 60fts on Nitto Invo's, hardly the best summer tire out there, and not a DR.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
It's been a while since you've driven a stock shiftered Ford. Do you remember how bad your 03 cobra stock shifter sucked. It was essentially 10x's worse in the 10+ GT500's. An Automatic would've been a godsend.

I didnt mind it too much. Towards the end though I was having issues with 1-2 and 3-4 shift, but I fixed that with the freebie plastic adjuster mod. The first time I owned the car it was stock shifter, but the second time I had it the previous guy put a MGW Orange. Makes it better, but its not impossible without. I'm not too keen on drag racing and beating my transmissions up like that though, Im more of a turns guy where your lap times wont be conducive just on shifting but more aspects of input.

Not many companies produce a smooth manual that handles power, its typically a tradeoff. You either get durability or smoothness. Hell, my Genesis is notchy as **** and its 275hp. All my DSMs were less than favorable shifting feel. Ive driven mustangs from t45 to mt82's. Its a manual, its supposed to have some "feedback", its part of the experience. Just about the only car ive driven that was butter smooth from the factory was my buddies RSX-S. But even that car gained from a short throw, and good luck with that tranny holding past 250ft/lbs.

Id bet an automatic in a GT500 of those years would be a warranty nightmare for its owners.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I didnt mind it too much. Towards the end though I was having issues with 1-2 and 3-4 shift, but I fixed that with the freebie plastic adjuster mod. The first time I owned the car it was stock shifter, but the second time I had it the previous guy put a MGW Orange. Makes it better, but its not impossible without. I'm not too keen on drag racing and beating my transmissions up like that though, Im more of a turns guy where your lap times wont be conducive just on shifting but more aspects of input.

Not many companies produce a smooth manual that handles power, its typically a tradeoff. You either get durability or smoothness. Hell, my Genesis is notchy as **** and its 275hp. All my DSMs were less than favorable shifting feel. Ive driven mustangs from t45 to mt82's. Its a manual, its supposed to have some "feedback", its part of the experience. Just about the only car ive driven that was butter smooth from the factory was my buddies RSX-S. But even that car gained from a short throw, and good luck with that tranny holding past 250ft/lbs.

Id bet an automatic in a GT500 of those years would be a warranty nightmare for its owners.

The MGW in the 04 was a huge improvement. Ditto when I installed one in my 12. It makes the driving experience where it should be from the factory. Not a crapshoot if you're going to get blocked out of the gear or miss it. I would think confidence in being able to make the gear change would be helpful in drag or corner carving. It definitely helped when I did the SCCA track night at Nola motorsport park.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
The MGW in the 04 was a huge improvement. Ditto when I installed one in my 12. It makes the driving experience where it should be from the factory. Not a crapshoot if you're going to get blocked out of the gear or miss it. I would think confidence in being able to make the gear change would be helpful in drag or corner carving. It definitely helped when I did the SCCA track night at Nola motorsport park.

Oh well, the factory cant account for everything.......if they did these cars would be 2x the cost and we wouldnt have any aftermarket.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I'd hate to see them go that route on the top dog Mustang, but I wouldn't be surprised, either.

Thank the GTR for that. :nonono:

And not in a good way.

If Ford wants to do another bespoke engine, but "has" to do a 6 cylinder, how about a twin turbo inline-6 knocking back about 700HP? Inline-6s are in Mustang's history. Or if they really want to blow the world's mind, do a straight 8! Hey, if they can make a 5.2L FPC work, why not a straight 8, too?

What would really be cool is if they sneaked in that V10 they were working on for the '04 Shelby Cobra concept.

All the inline 6s from just avout every manufacturer have been phased out, and Im thinking that is because of emissions or weight. They make insane power for what they are but I dont think the efficiency they need for CAFE standards is there. I would love to see a new inline 6 come back though, or even an inline 5.

Tx5811

Veni, vidi, vici
Established Member
Most of you guys need to sell yalls V8 SVT machine and hop in a Honda like Thomas. And throw some "NOS" on it.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Most of you guys need to sell yalls V8 SVT machine and hop in a Honda like Thomas. And throw some "NOS" on it.
I'd swap my V10 for a twin 6 banger with 600hp. Also I'd like a 10 speed auto.

Last edited:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Oh well, the factory cant account for everything.......if they did these cars would be 2x the cost and we wouldnt have any aftermarket.

My 78 280Z had a more rewarding manual transmission from the factory. If Ford delivered a better product for $35K in 04 and $57K in 2012 I wouldn't bitch about a manual trans. Chevy got it correct with their version of the T56 in the Fbods, and very little if any complaints from the ZL1/CTSV crowd in regards to shifting. Matter of fact you can no lift shift those cars from the factory.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
My 78 280Z had a more rewarding manual transmission from the factory. If Ford delivered a better product for $35K in 04 and $57K in 2012 I wouldn't bitch about a manual trans. Chevy got it correct with their version of the T56 in the Fbods, and very little if any complaints from the ZL1/CTSV crowd in regards to shifting. Matter of fact you can no lift shift those cars from the factory.

Its the same t56 iirc. The only difference is cable vs hydraulically assisted clutch. Hydraulically assisted clutch is likely why they are more easily bang-able, vs a cable that is prone to stretching.

And that 280 made 170hp on its best day. Another example of a low powered car with a butter trans but one that wouldnt survive at the above power levels.

I NLTS all my turbo cars, including my gen from time to time. No loss of boost during shifts ftw.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Its the same t56 iirc. The only difference is cable vs hydraulically assisted clutch. Hydraulically assisted clutch is likely why they are more easily bang-able, vs a cable that is prone to stretching.

And that 280 made 170hp on its best day. Another example of a low powered car with a butter trans but one that wouldnt survive at the above power levels.

I NLTS all my turbo cars, including my gen from time to time. No loss of boost during shifts ftw.

Ford used a weak input shaft on the 03/04 cobra's, GM used the 26 spline. Also the shifter is the bigger issue between the two. The GM unit is much better than the vague ford unit.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
The 6l80 lives behind many modded ZL1 and CTSV's. It's a tough trans. From what I've seen the 6sp auto in the GT's can take a fair amount of abuse in stock condition.

You hope the next GT500 will have a V6? You can't be serious.

The V and ZL1 have the 6l90e, a really tough trans. 6l80 is ok.

Never_Enough

Established Member
The ZL1/HC/GT500 is all the same buyer. If there weren't such absurb markups on A8 HC's I'd buy one. I've never owned a dodge. As of now I plan to purchase a 2017 ZL1 because Ford isn't offering anything to compete currently. I also want the A10. I've had 2 cobras(97 and 04) and 2 GT500s (09 and 12).

With the correct tire size, suspension, and traction controls you can make a big hp/tq car hook. My CTSVcoupe has gone 1.7 60fts on Nitto Invo's, hardly the best summer tire out there, and not a DR.

Really? I have Invos on my Z06 & they are useless.

Are you selling the V for the ZL1?

Users who are viewing this thread