Ecoboost Coyote GT500

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Couldn't be more wrong. There's no way ford puts a 5.0 in a GT500. No replacement for displacement. Especially in their flagship performer.

Why does their "flagship mustang" need to be 5.8L+ when their true flagship vehicle, the FGT, is a 3.5L V6?

If they can get 650-700hp out of a worked 5.0L then what does 0.8L matter? You guys still believing displacement makes a difference in 2016 are pretty funny.

If they size the snails properly you would have just as torquey of a powerband as a larger motor and unlike a SC, it would still breathe up top.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I don't care if it's a 1.6L Ecoboost (exaggerated, obviously) lol As long as it outperforms everything else, does it really matter?

*in for guys who like the sound of a V8 and would sacrifice performance to get it*

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I don't care if it's a 1.6L Ecoboost (exaggerated, obviously) lol As long as it outperforms everything else, does it really matter?

*in for guys who like the sound of a V8 and would sacrifice performance to get it*

I'd take a V8 for the rumbly sounds. For the next GT500 to compete with the new ZL1 it will have to have atleast the 662 rating of the last gen and have a competent chassis.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I want it to be a 5.2, and it should be relatively easy for them to do. Not a FPC, just use the PTWA tech they have used in the other shelbys to get up to the 5.2L. They already have an FRPP block for it, no reason it can't be in a production car.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
People need to stop spreading the dumb rumor that a V6 is in the works for the next GT500. Ford chose that for the GT strictly for racing homologation on a car that 99.999% of Mustang guys couldn't afford anyway.

The 10-speed is a done deal as an option for the next car (because ZL1). The other thread in the new forum is dead and off-topic so I'll comment here. I was able to find out that Ford played around with a Boss 6.2 derived 5.8 some years ago. That's my inclination for a dark-horse candidate for the next GT500 mill. Or if shock-tower clearance is an issue they could shorten the deck slightly to reduce the engine width but that's just me speculating aloud. A 5.0/5.2 wouldn't be special enough for the top dog Mustang, even with two snails attached. A 6.2 derived 5.8 reduces the need for high boost and stressed components and gives more meat between the bores for additional strength and cooling capacity if 700+ is indeed the target. Remember that Trinity had slightly compromised durability due to exhaust valve heat so they may need more space for larger cooling passages in the heads and larger bore spacing ala Boss architecture helps nicely in this regard.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
People need to stop spreading the dumb rumor that a V6 is in the works for the next GT500. Ford chose that for the GT strictly for racing homologation on a car that 99.999% of Mustang guys couldn't afford anyway.

The 10-speed is a done deal as an option for the next car (because ZL1). The other thread in the new forum is dead and off-topic so I'll comment here. I was able to find out that Ford played around with a Boss 6.2 derived 5.8 some years ago. That's my inclination for a dark-horse candidate for the next GT500 mill. Or if shock-tower clearance is an issue they could shorten the deck slightly to reduce the engine width but that's just me speculating aloud. A 5.0/5.2 wouldn't be special enough for the top dog Mustang, even with two snails attached. A 6.2 derived 5.8 reduces the need for high boost and stressed components and gives more meat between the bores for additional strength and cooling capacity if 700+ is indeed the target. Remember that Trinity had slightly compromised durability due to exhaust valve heat so they may need more space for larger cooling passages in the heads and larger bore spacing ala Boss architecture helps nicely in this regard.

Just because the ZL1 has an auto doesn't mean the next GT500 will. The 12+ ZL1 has an auto option and Ford didn't play ball then.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Just because the ZL1 has an auto doesn't mean the next GT500 will. The 12+ ZL1 has an auto option and Ford didn't play ball then.

There wasn't enough in the development budget. The 12+ ZL1 produces dramatically lower torque so the transmission requirements are correspondingly much lower. To have designed an auto that could live behind 631 torque plus a 10-20% margin would have been beyond the scope of the program. The new 10-speed is ready on the shelf and the new GT500 WILL have the option.

CO Mack

Established Member

I don't think anyone is spreading rumors, just a hope.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
There wasn't enough in the development budget. The 12+ ZL1 produces dramatically lower torque so the transmission requirements are correspondingly much lower. To have designed an auto that could live behind 631 torque plus a 10-20% margin would have been beyond the scope of the program. The new 10-speed is ready on the shelf and the new GT500 WILL have the option.

The 6l80 lives behind many modded ZL1 and CTSV's. It's a tough trans. From what I've seen the 6sp auto in the GT's can take a fair amount of abuse in stock condition.

You hope the next GT500 will have a V6? You can't be serious.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

People werent as gay for automatics as they are now. And im not saying that to start shit, but it seems that only recently has the trend swayed towards automatics as being an actual viable option for performance cars. Nowadays if a car doesnt come with it its a con, whereas before it was the other way around.

CO Mack

Established Member
You hope the next GT500 will have a V6? You can't be serious.

Absolutely. The Ford GT makes unholy noises, it's light, better weight distribution, etc etc. If you could get 650HP or so out of it, I think it'd be amazing, especially if they did some other stuff to save weight.

Last edited:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
People werent as gay for automatics as they are now. And im not saying that to start shit, but it seems that only recently has the trend swayed towards automatics as being an actual viable option for performance cars. Nowadays if a car doesnt come with it its a con, whereas before it was the other way around.

It's been a while since you've driven a stock shiftered Ford. Do you remember how bad your 03 cobra stock shifter sucked. It was essentially 10x's worse in the 10+ GT500's. An Automatic would've been a godsend.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member

The rise in automatics has come from the realization by consumers that they put down the some of the best and most consistent number. The field is very competitive now with the GTR destroying basically everyone, and everyone knows that with closely matched cars the GTR is going to have the upper hand because of its trans if it is up against a manual. So we can all thank the GTR and probably the Gallardo too for the sudden rise.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member

Except Ford doesn't put an auto in the Fiesta ST, Focus ST, Focus RS, Mustang ecoboost PP, Mustang GT PP, Boss 302, Shelby GT350, or any previous GT500. There are autos that were plenty strong for many of those cars. I would not be surprised one bit if Ford keeps the GT500 manual only. They have always been saying they use manual for the driving experience in a performance car like those listed above. I actually commend Ford for it. I have nothing against modern autos. They have gotten quite good recently, but I enjoy driving a manual. It really does change the experience, imho.

The Ford GT came with an auto for one reason, the GT was meant to be fast on a track. It was not meant to be an enjoyable/reliable daily, it was meant to win races. In terms of outright performance, it's very hard to beat an auto these days.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Ditto.

They did the screamer NA GT350, so what I want out of the GT500 is probably blasphemous around here...but what they did before...the FGT engine.

I'd hate to see them go that route on the top dog Mustang, but I wouldn't be surprised, either.

Thank the GTR for that. :nonono:

Absolutely. The Ford GT makes unholy noises...

And not in a good way.

If Ford wants to do another bespoke engine, but "has" to do a 6 cylinder, how about a twin turbo inline-6 knocking back about 700HP? Inline-6s are in Mustang's history. Or if they really want to blow the world's mind, do a straight 8! Hey, if they can make a 5.2L FPC work, why not a straight 8, too?

What would really be cool is if they sneaked in that V10 they were working on for the '04 Shelby Cobra concept.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
They have always been saying they use manual for the driving experience in a performance car like those listed above.

And that would be great if everyone that owned an 03/04 cobra or an 07-14 GT500 didn't have to change the bag of shit shifter to get that driving experience. I've had an 04 cobra, 09 GT500, and my current 12. None in stock form would I consider a rewarding experience.

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
What if I told you guys that the car more than likely will have 2 options for transmissions? One for elitists and one for people who want comfort, but also the performance?

93 347 Cobra

Established Member

Why would you hope for a V6 in a GT500? Do you actually think the V6 from a 400K supercar will bear any resemblance to anything Ford would be willing to stuff in a sub-100K muscle car? No. Way.

CO Mack

Established Member
And not in a good way.

That's a matter of opinion.

The V6 is cool because it could leverage the FGT and Raptor programs, so we could get amazing tech amortized over multiple platforms. It's also good for packaging, you can keep the Cg of the car more near center for better weight distribution.

What would really be cool is if they sneaked in that V10 they were working on for the '04 Shelby Cobra concept.

The Boss 351, that was pretty awesome. I think the Viper mostly sounds like a UPS truck, not much of a fan of the sound of low revving V10s at all, but it is an interesting format. Especially if they updated it from the 4.6 to the 5.0 architecture and made it a screamer.

Users who are viewing this thread