Eaton Swap problems

agent-orange

Established Member
Guys, I have a question. On the oil cooler adapter is a sensor, there is a pigtail plugged in, whit just one wire. This wire goes up to the engine harness, don't where the other end is plugged in. What is that for a sensor? Oli Temp?

The 03 Cobra harness doesnt have this plug, it's on the starter harness.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I'm not sure as I didn't take my adapter off, just the cooler itself. But if I had to guess I would say pressure not temperature.

agent-orange

Established Member
I just removed the eaton and the lower manifold intake to check the intake gaskets.

Can I use 03 cobra intake gaskets for my 2001 cobra? Cause it looks like that, they doesnt fit perfectly on the ports from the short block.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I would think so but I'm not sure. When I did mine I reused my stock 01 intake gaskets. Did you grind the nubs down enough on the heads that hold the gaskets in place? What about the knock sensor bosses? Maybe the lower intake isn't seating and causing a vacuum leak?

agent-orange

Established Member
I would think so but I'm not sure. When I did mine I reused my stock 01 intake gaskets. Did you grind the nubs down enough on the heads that hold the gaskets in place? What about the knock sensor bosses? Maybe the lower intake isn't seating and causing a vacuum leak?

No, the knock sensors and nubs are completly away, dont think that they could cause the problem. But I think, that the intake gaskets cause the problem, but I dont have the 01 intake gaskets anymore.

RX1Cobra

Established Member

agent-orange

Established Member

They arent the same, I just found an old pic, when I replaced the intake manifold with a ported one, last year.

I also saw, that the tube, which comes from the bottom of the supercharger, has a 3mm long cut. Where can I get a new one?

agent-orange

Established Member
Guys, is that normal, that the exhaust getting extreme hot, after 10-15min running at idle?? It smells strange, like something getting extreme hot and some smokes comes from the shifter bezel/transmission
into the car. It's not smoke cause something is burning, it's just of the heat I think.

Another question. Where can I get new dust boots for my half shafts?

Last edited:

agent-orange

Established Member
So I finally got the new intake gaskets and installed them today. Then I realized that the EGR port, at the bottem of the manifold intake, is touching the intake valley. It looks like, that the intake manifold isn't sitting embeddable on the intake ports.

What could I do in that case?

agent-orange

Established Member
So, I have some news.

The car runs now almost perfect again, I found the problem. I had a big vacuum leak at the manifold intake gaskets. But it was caused of the pcv screw, which is at the bottom of the lower manifold. Is wasnt screwed enought in, so the pcv screw touched valley of the shortblock. Is wasnt much, but enough that the intake gaskets wasnt sealed enough.

The only thing, was isnt run perfect. When I start the car and put the first gear in, the car moves jerkily forward (like stop n go, hard to describe) but when I put the second gear in, it move perfect again.

Could that cause a bad MAF? Or not enough gas in lower rmps??

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I think that's more slop in the drivetrain and the lower ratio in first that causes that. All stick cars will do that. If the motor runs fine I would get it tuned and see what happens from there.

agent-orange

Established Member
yeah, I now, I already had that before I installed the eaton, but I wasnt that extreme like now.

Would you recommend to replace the gears with the one from the Terminator??? That would be 3.55 gears or?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Get the tune adjusted. There's probably something off from the vacuum leak being fixed.

agent-orange

Established Member
That problem with the first gear, disapeared. Donno what it was, may I pressed the gas pedal to less. But there is a irritating squeak from somewhere, have to check the engine again. I installed a new billetflow pulley (stock size) and also replaced all the SC idlers.

The last thing what I have to do now, it to change the fuel tank and pumps.

Last edited:

agent-orange

Established Member
That problem with the first gear, disapeared. Donno what it was, may I pressed the gas pedal to less. But there is a irritating squeak from somewhere, have to check the engine again. I installed a new billetflow pulley (stock size) and also replaced all the SC idlers.

The last thing what I have to do now, it to change the fuel tank and pumps.

Edit: Also this problem is solved, the 2 hoses from the steering fluid tank are touching the sc belt.

And I have so say, I love the car even more now. Sounds so crazy now :D

Last edited:

agent-orange

Established Member
So I also swapped my tank with a 03Cobra tank. Took me about 6hours cause I couldnt use my fuel line disconnect tool, so I had to disconnect the fuel line with 2 flat screwdrivers. Unfortunately I messed up the fuel filter, so I have to replace that too.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Those can be a pain! Do you have the metal tool or the cheap plastic ones? If you're using the plastic ones get a metal one... they work much better!

agent-orange

Established Member
damn, I have a new little problem. After I swapped the tank with a terminator tank, my fuel level sender isnt working. It could be, that I wired something wrong or so. When I start the car, the fuel gauge moves to full end then it goes back to Empty. The needle is maybe 0.2inch below the "E"

There were 2 wires, one could I directly connect with the hat and the second I placed between the lower screw and the fuel level, I guess that would be for the ground?

Thanks for any help

Users who are viewing this thread