Eaton Swap problems

agent-orange

Established Member
I'm finished the swap today and the car started immediately, but it seems that something isnt working. The car is vibrating and the idle rpms move always between 900 and ~1300 rpms, very rough idle. Thought the car was misfiring, so I checked all the spark plugs, but the locked good. Also tried to read the error code with my Xcal3 but I only get this P1000 drive cycle read error
I still run with the stock 01 Cobra pump and the tank is only 1/8 full, maybe less.

What could that be? Too less fuel in the tank? I'm running a tune on it, which I got last year. Should I tune it back to stock?

Thanks for any help,

Sascha

01yellercobra

Established Member
Did you happen to check the COPs when you checked the plugs? Is the tune you're currently running for that set up?

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

agent-orange

Established Member
I dont checked them. But one plug was kind of rosty, so I changed it. No the tune isnt for that setup, so I flashed the stock tune back.

After that, it runs a little bit better, the idle rmps isnt move around anymore. Now it is around 1000rpms, but the car ist sill extremly vibraiting.

Could it be possible, that the maf or the IAT1 is causing the problem?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Try unplugging your MAF and see if it gets better. Beyond that you need a tune for your current set up.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I just got done with mine and my car started up and run great with the stock tune. It was running real rich and reaked of gas but idle fine and drove fine. I put in a 03 tank but don't think that would make a difference. You'll love the car once you get it tuned and running.

agent-orange

Established Member
I just got done with mine and my car started up and run great with the stock tune. It was running real rich and reaked of gas but idle fine and drove fine. I put in a 03 tank but don't think that would make a difference. You'll love the car once you get it tuned and running.

Did you use a 03 Cobra engine harness or just modified the stock harness? If you modified yours, how you did it?

I used the two outside wires for the IAT2 and the IAT1 is still plugged in. Or could the MAF be the problem? Could the 01 cobra has a 80mm MAF and the 03 Cobra a 90mm so far I know.

I now, I have to get it dyno tuned, but the only tuner which can do that, is about 300Km away. And I need a "safe" tune, that I can drive to there. So from where can I get a safe tune here?

thanks,
Sascha

Last edited:

smoked01cobra

Established Member
i heaerd you had to have atleast 1/4 or 1/2 tank of gas because our cars dont have baffles in the gas tank..idk

How did the swap go??

agent-orange

Established Member
Thats also something what I thought, maybe I have to put some fuel in the tank.

On M1R forum is a very good write up, detailed and explained with pics.

Edit: I just put some more fuel in the tank and tried to start it without connected MAF. When I disconnect the MAF, its worse, the rpms start moving around between 900-1500rpms. When I connect it, it's around 1000rpms but the is still vibraiting like a massage chair. When I just put a littlebit on the gas pedal, so that it is around 1800 rpms, the car runs smoother.

And I realized, that some kind of smoke is coming out of the engine, drivers side. Looks like it comes from the area around the headers or so, maybe from the EGR tube, cause I changed that. But it doesnt smell of burning cables or exhaust gas, it's more like oil or something like that. I also replaced one power steering line and there came oil out of it, or it could be that or the WD40 which I put so much on the EGR tube to remove it :-S

Last edited:

agent-orange

Established Member
It looks like, that the spark plugs cause this problem. The gap of my plugs is around 2mm (0.078) and the 03 Cobra is around 0.048-0.056

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Did you use a 03 Cobra engine harness or just modified the stock harness? If you modified yours, how you did it?

I used the two outside wires for the IAT2 and the IAT1 is still plugged in. Or could the MAF be the problem? Could the 01 cobra has a 80mm MAF and the 03 Cobra a 90mm so far I know.

I now, I have to get it dyno tuned, but the only tuner which can do that, is about 300Km away. And I need a "safe" tune, that I can drive to there. So from where can I get a safe tune here?

thanks,
Sascha
I modified my stock harness. I used the two outside wires (I think) and run just one iat post blower. How are you running two iats the 01 computer can only handle one. I also used an 03 mass air not sure if that made difference.

agent-orange

Established Member
Hmmm....Do I have to disconnect the IAT sensor, which is in the inlet tube?

I only need the two wires from the MAF for the IAT2? Or do I have to connect the wires from the IAT and the two from the MAF to the IAT2?

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
yes, installed the 39lbs injectors.

That could be the problem. When I first supercharged my car I put in 03 cobra 39# injectors and the car ran like shit. My tuner sent me a file to compensate for that so I could drive the car to him for final tune. I was on the stock tune as well

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Hmmm....Do I have to disconnect the IAT sensor, which is in the inlet tube?

I only need the two wires from the MAF for the IAT2? Or do I have to connect the wires from the IAT and the two from the MAF to the IAT2?
Don't cut the maf sensor wires! I almost did the same thing!!! I used those same directions and their mass air is different than ours. You'll notice on our mass air plug the two outside ports aren't used... On theirs those two outside wires are for iat. Just use the two wires from the iat in the elbow and hook them up to the one in the blower. I think they colors match but can't remember for sure.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
The wires from your iat sensor in the elbow go to the two outside wires on the blowers iat and the middle two aren't used. See this thread... http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-eaton-swap-wiring-iat2-intercooler-pump.html you sensor should look like mine below with the two outside ports empty. On the other cars those two outside ports are for integrated iats. Let me know if you need more help...
mafws.jpg

Last edited:

agent-orange

Established Member
The wires from your iat sensor in the elbow go to the two outside wires on the blowers iat and the middle two aren't used. See this thread... http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-eaton-swap-wiring-iat2-intercooler-pump.html you sensor should look like mine below with the two outside ports empty. On the other cars those two outside ports are for integrated iats. Let me know if you need more help...
mafws.jpg

Now I'm a little bit confused. Cause in the M1R forum, is a diffrent description about the IAT1/2 & MAF.

There is written, I have to cut the outside wires from the MAF and wire them to pin 3&4 from the IAT2. Could it be that Mach1's have integrated IATs?? Cause at the moment my MAF only has 2 connected wires instead of 4.

Here is the wiring description I mean:

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showpost.php?p=932285&postcount=16

Thanks,
Sascha

agent-orange

Established Member
Damn, I just saw your other post, with the MAF. I already cut them :cryying:

Then I think, I have to reconnect them to the MAF again and use the IAT wires for the IAT2.

Users who are viewing this thread