E85 whats needed

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Ok...so take this with a grain of salt, but....

I work on the head line and we had to put in special coated valves AND seats to handle E85. Are you guys swapping out your valves or anything like that? Just curious....

no..no one is. the stuff has been run for a while in stock vehicles.

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
no..no one is. the stuff has been run for a while in stock vehicles.

interesting...i can definitely see the life of the engine being shortened by this if the valves and seats weren't made for E85. I know that the seat and valve material is MUCH harder on the new E85 stuff (i believe it is because E85 burns much hotter). I am not an expert by any means, but I know that we arent putting special E85 valves and seats on heads just for fun either...

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
Ok...so take this with a grain of salt, but....

I work on the head line and we had to put in special coated valves AND seats to handle E85. Are you guys swapping out your valves or anything like that? Just curious....

My fellow Michigander that I do not know, don't know if you seen this:

Food for thought, what about EGT's can they help us tune these E85 cars? Are our stock exahust valves and seals going to fail over time if we drive hard and run 100% E85 with 700 HP to the wheel? More oxygen plus more fuel = more heat on the exhaust side. Is there a point where your need upgraded exhaust valves? Are cats going to with stand the heat? I don't know the answers. I am I stupid for thinking this? Maybe I am looking more into it than needed, I surely did based on the numbers reported.

ZOSO

colorados baddest eaton
Established Member
E85 burns cooler than gasoline. I have been on E85 for 2 years with not one single issue. all lines and hoses are just fine.

As for different valves and seats I have never heard of any of that needing to be done.

ZOSO

colorados baddest eaton
Established Member
Yes as it seems you would need those parts just to be safe. As for power your guess is as good as anybody elses. It'll all be up to the tuner. I'd guess 20-50whp gain.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Ok I can get E85 here only minutes away.....ok I need 80 lb. innjectors, 2 GT pumps, modified FPDM, and a BAP??? I am getting ready to do a stage 5 port so lets say I make 520rwhp how much could I make with a E85 tune? Thanks guys.?
I doubt you would need the BAP.

I could easily see a 30 RWHP gain on your combo or possibly more. The thing here is that you will have a lot more octane cushion along with the cooling benefits of the Ethanol if you switch. It's nice not worrying about being tuned on the edge detonation with gasoline.

ZOSO

colorados baddest eaton
Established Member
I doubt you would need the BAP.

I could easily see a 30 RWHP gain on your combo or possibly more. The thing here is that you will have a lot more octane cushion along with the cooling benefits of the Ethanol if you switch. It's nice not worrying about being tuned on the edge detonation with gasoline.

And the power under the curve is where you'll notice it.

Red Poison

Over it
Established Member
Just read all 6 pages of this

A lot of good information in here... I hate to revive a thread thats been dormant for the last 7 months, but I hate to see the nay sayers not put in their place.

So I figured those that now have experience with E85 can chime in on all the big issues.

- Gas mileage & Driving habits (how gay:lol1:, but hey... some really want to know:rollseyes)
- Power Gains from previous setups (midrange and peak)
- Engine problems (valves, seals)
- Track times

I think it would help here for those of us that have been researching this heavily, on our way to switching to have the true, real life "experience" here in this thread so the full story is told.
:beer:

Swaie

Established Member
I would also like to add a question...What about the change in blends....will that make much of a difference from winter to summer?

Red Poison

Over it
Established Member
I pulled this from another thread... http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/distillery-374/738186-any-cons-running-e85-2.html
Its pretty much along the same lines as what you are asking. If the blends change, then you are not getting true "85", which would be like mixing true 85 with 93 and diluting it (lack of a better term).

how does this work with having leftover fuel in the lines or injectors from the opposite fuel, with a new tune? i guess what im saying is if you go running E85, then switch to 93....will there not be some mix? can that be dangerous at all? thats the question i thought of when going through the cons list ( be it rather small). I am in the same boat, i will be switching this spring after my motor is done.

From my understanding, you wouldn't run into any problems going from your E85 tune to your... lets say 93 octane. The major difference betweeen the two fuels are their octane rating. Going from a higher to a lower won't do any damage because your tune for 93 will have less timing, so if you were under WOT you would still be covered by the higher octane of the E. It would be no different than putting Torco in your tank even if you're not tuned for it. Its just upping the octane and if your tune doesn't call for such a high octane, you will just be wasting it. Now switching from the 93 tune to the E tune is something different. You'll be looking for the necessary octane to safely run that timing and the 93 left in the lines will not be able to produce. I would take it easy for a while after switching back to the E after 93 to make sure its out, depending on how much 93 you have left in your tank.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You are partially correct.

E85 actually sustains the same Octane all the way down to E50. So no worries there.

The only thing you may encounter is a slight change in A/F, but E85 has a much wider "Sweet Spot" for A/F so not too much worry there either.

Ethanol mixes Perfect with Gasoline so no worries about mixing the two.

Funny, Mid Range Ethanol blends (Like E20-E30) are actually getting better fuel economy than 100% unleaded gasoline. :read:
New Study Supports Mid Range Ethanol Blends - Domestic Fuel

Last edited:

nanastymach1

Established Member
e85 here i come...i just need 80 lb injectors do u guys know anyone i have 60's for sale as of now call me if u have some or want to trade 3366249851

cobra=trouble

Established Member
sleeper man.. i read all here ..all i got to say is after an hour ''all'' this .to much back and forth bickering ,is confusing.

im thinking of going corn ..after my build.

bench racen LOL.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread