Dyno Numbers with Eaton!

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
well, last night my friend(the guy from the previous thread) and i drove over to Stiegemeier's for my dyno tune. i made 4 runs all together. the first was good, until about 4500 when it started knocking a little(i didn't even hear it). we looked at the numbers and saw 429 hp and 379 tq. more importantly however, the timing jumped to 22° up top, not good. we backed it down to 17° across the board and adjusted the AF a little and made a second pull. this time 476 hp and 403 tq. Bob was speechless. these numbers were comming from a stock pullied eaton. next run was about the same with some minor AF changes in which i made the biggest number of 479 hp and 405 tq. i wanted to go a little safer with the tune(it was already on the safe side anyway). so we backed to 16° timing across the board and richened a hair across the board to get an AF ratio around 11.2-11.4. we made one last pull and were rewarded with 470 hp and 402 tq. :D that is the final sheet below. that little dip at around 5500 was leaned out just a hair to bring it to the upper 10's before we called it a night. Bob and Jim were very impressed with how much difference some compression makes on blown setup with these cars. Bob said he might put some pics and numbers from my car on his site, so that had me smiling too.

driving impressions afterwards, well, let's just say undescribeable! this thing pulls like one strong MF! i am absolutely amazed! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: it is now a totally different car. punch it it any gear at any speed and it flat out runs! i am still catching my breath....

i do have dyno vids by the way. i will post up later after i get them from my friend. we'll see about making a couple other quick little vids as well.

as for the blower whine for those who were wondering: it SCREAMS! another friend was getting gas and i did a drop to second and hammer it as i drove by. he said it sounded almost as loud as his lightning with a 2.8 upper and 2lb. lower!

by the way, my mods are in sig as well.

img0804ad9.jpg

Last edited:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
i know!!! the torque is almost overwhelming from 2500 all the way to redline. i love it :thumbsup:

Double"O" : it was right at 8 psi the entire time and tipped 8.5 psi from about 5500 up.

thanks eveyone for the compliments!

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
ported blower too right????

my friend has a steggy stage 3 on hie 03 Cobra at 15psi you wanna talk about scream

Oh what your SAE Numbers???

cobra4v

Hooked On SVT
Established Member
Very impressive numbers! We gonna see more people asking how to do the eaton swap.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Double"O" said:
ported blower too right????

my friend has a steggy stage 3 on hie 03 Cobra at 15psi you wanna talk about scream

Oh what your SAE Numbers???
yes, Stieg Stage 4(the most current one). yea, i can only imagine a port with a pulley too :D ! that would be purely ear piercing. i'm not sure on sae numbers. that was never talked about. maybe i'll call him and ask.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Very, very nice! Are you on stlmustangs.com? We'd love to see you over there if you haven't dropped in yet!

Btw, what were you using to tune?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
It's the difference between the C heads and the Terminator heads.

The C heads don't have very good low speed velocity so the torque comes on a bit later in teh rpm range, qhich consenquently creates more hp.

Notice how even at 6500rpm the torque isn't falling off. On the Terminators, the heads have better low speed velocity so torque peaks sooner and thus falls off on the top end. The torque peaks before the HP does and that's why you see more torque vs hp.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Torch10th said:
It's the difference between the C heads and the Terminator heads.
The C heads don't have very good low speed velocity so the torque comes on a bit later in teh rpm range, qhich consenquently creates more hp.

The velocity on the C-heads is great and very close to that of the 03/04 heads (both have 177cc intake ports), I say it's the cams. The 03/04 cobra cams have a lot less duration than that 99/01 cams therefore the 03/04 would produce more torque down low. Additionally, the amount of overlap is not conducive to FI applications. The 99/01 has more which is not good for FI. I bet degreeing the cams to better suit FI would result in a lot more torque and a little more hp. I'd try an intake lobe center of 112 and and a lobe separation of 114 to 116 (or more). Heck, anything would be better than the stock cam timing which have been found to be all over the place (+ or - 5 to 6 deg).

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I second the cams thing. My Eaton '99 cobra made sick power up top, but lacked a little on the torque, perfect combo IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread