Dyno Day?

4rdsvtdriver

Drive it like u stole it!
Established Member
I had a great time! It was nice meeting everyone, talking and seeing some sick ass Cobras. Makes me miss mine like crazy now! Mark, all I have to say is...SWEET RIDE! Your car has to be the loudest sounding Cobra I've heard in quite some time. I had my stereo cranked (it's aftermarket) and I could STILL hear you get on it! That's Nucking Futs! T.J., it was nice meeting you and the wife. We'll have to hook up and hang out when I'm in O.H. I usually cruise up on the weekends. I think I might head to Meridian myself sometime after I get my lower pulley on etc. Hope to see you guys again soon! I'm always willing to cruise out and hit the dyno when I'm in port (which usually isn't for long). Thanks to John, his wife for everything. Can't beat seeing some sweet rides put down some sick numbers and eating some burgers and dogs for free! I'll definitely come again. Probably for some tuning. Hope to see you all soon!

-Rob

P.S. Dave, I haven't seen you since the Round Up last year when we met. I'm dying to see your ride now! Let me know when you head to Meridian. I wanna see those #'s you lay down!

Last edited:

shznit

shznit
Established Member
Hey... finally got a chance to get on here & respond... So here it goes.

I was disappointed pretty much until I got on here & read Will's & Greg's #'s.... I ended up with 457hp & 507 lb-ft of torque. The a/f ratio was a flat 12.0 all the way through (after the MAFia was installed) with my RWTD tune. Boost peaked @ 18.4 (at 3700 rpms) and didn't drop off till 5200. The tune was set up @ 20degrees of timing. Looking at Stiegemeier's website, looks like 23 degrees is optimal for a ported set-up. I'm thinking of switching to a 2.93 pulley & getting a 23 degree tune. The car does rock with this set-up... feels great.

Will... definitely would like to get up to Meridian with you guys when you go.. let me know.

Greg... passed you on the way out... sorry & didn't turn around. I would have if I would have known you were gonna run.

Damon

saleen09

Slow A$$ Kenne Bell Cobra
Established Member
BigHuge, most of us don't have a LARGE and PLENTIFUL money tree in our backyard, such as yourself......

LOL!

shznit

shznit
Established Member
Oh... I was just going off what he had listed on his FAQ... he didn't really elaborate on what octane.. I was figuring pump gas (since that's what most of us run on a daily basis). Looking at the boards whenever a discussion comes up with that they always say the power is in the timing.. so I figured I had a conservative tune. Guess not...

Still.. 18.1 lbs of boost on a ported heaton may be the reason the power didn't go up after mid 5k range... or belt slipping.. either way I say there's more in it. Maf isn't pegging and fuel should be good.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
I know how you feel. You always read that 23* is the setup but I've never been able to run that. It rattles pretty bad if I do. I can bump it up to 21 in the Winter but no way for the Summer.

Oxford Snake

Established Member
shznit said:
Oh... I was just going off what he had listed on his FAQ... he didn't really elaborate on what octane.. I was figuring pump gas (since that's what most of us run on a daily basis). Looking at the boards whenever a discussion comes up with that they always say the power is in the timing.. so I figured I had a conservative tune. Guess not...

Still.. 18.1 lbs of boost on a ported heaton may be the reason the power didn't go up after mid 5k range... or belt slipping.. either way I say there's more in it. Maf isn't pegging and fuel should be good.

You are not going to get any more out of that setup, in fact you may be losing power with that much boost. That poor Heaton is losing so much hp with all the heat the amount of boost is creating. Bob recommends 16.5 max boost. Drop down to a 2.93", run a little Torco, and add 2* timing and you'l be set.

shznit

shznit
Established Member
Greg what were your #'s for the day? Only difference between us is a stage iii/iv , NOS set-up, and custom tune.

Yeah I was thinking about switching to a 2.81 or 2.93 pulley. Looking at the graph boost was dropping down mid-high range. I didn't look at the IAT2 temps. But I'm sure with that much boost its up there. Not sure if its worth swapping and adding a few degrees or not.

BTW... what were the final #'s on the convertable on Saturday? I thought he was up there?

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
shznit said:
Greg what were your #'s for the day? Only difference between us is a stage iii/iv , NOS set-up, and custom tune.

463/498. 19* of timing. 11.4 a/f
No nitrous as my clutch will not hold it. Stop using it since the last dyno day.
I dont run race gas since I drive it all the time.
You hear that the Eaton is all done when pushed as hard as I am and you can see it a bit in the upper rpms but everytime I dyno she turns in very consistant #s. The last few times I've dyno'd I've driving a long way and jumped right on the dyno and for all 3 runs the numbers stayed the same or got alittle better. The main reason I spin mine so hard is I use my low end torque so much and hardly need to spin my motor that hard to worry about the heat and blower rpm. If I do get into the revs I short shift it.
I still feel that this is the setup for a true daily driver. I use the torque way more often than the horsepower and for the few more ponies I'd get by stepping down(~5-10hp) its not worth the loss in torque (~20-35tq). :beer:

Oxford Snake

Established Member
Damon,

For comparison Will's car peaked at 13.9lbs of boost (at 4500 and lost 1lb by 6200) and made 11+ hp, granted the torque was a bit lower. I recommended he add a 2lb lower to his current setup or a 4 lb lower and change to a 2.93 to get him to 16lbs of boost. That should make a couple more hp and bring the torque more in line with yours and Gregs cars.

saleen09

Established Member
Dave, thanks for picking on me and my lowely UNDERSPUN Eaton.... :)

I have IAT1/IAT2 logged. I was between 89-98 ( Dave has the log and can chime in)if I remember correctly. Greg/Damon, it would be interested to see where y'all are at.

shznit

shznit
Established Member
I definitely love the lower pulley set-up. My thinking was more upper pulley set-up (2.81 or 2.93). Not that I'm out running 18lbs of boost often. But if another degree or two of timing & a few lbs lower boost is the way to go I'm game. My RWTD tune was rock solid at 12.0 a/f ratio. BAP is at 25%. Didn't log injector duty nor IAT2 temps. Didn't log anything since John had his computer plugged into the OBDII port.

saleen09

Established Member
And WAY more Eaton whine.

For those who haven't heard Greg's car, it's the loudest/best sounding Eaton I've ever heard!

Users who are viewing this thread