Ducktail nascar spoiler for 99-04 mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.

98_Undertaker

Established Member
Agreed with the rest, the 2nd looks great.

Reminds me of this,

2309xs5pu4_zps3332a42b.jpg

mustangcobranyabilder07wk0_zps075bdb4a.jpg

Wow any more info on this one?

coposrv

Established Member
Wildcard, great work man. I love seeing hands on fabrication pop up on this site.

stang8psi

Established Member
good deal on the self fabrication.. But whats up witht he lower bumper? it looks way out of place and kinda rough (fitment & finish).

Wildcard

Established Member
good deal on the self fabrication.. But whats up witht he lower bumper? it looks way out of place and kinda rough (fitment & finish).

are you talking about the rear diffuser or the bumper itself? the bumper is being replaced. It's a really old worn out piece.

as for the finish—The rear diffuser is a prototype that when it's sent to paint it will get all of the finished sanding any errors filled up. I'm not a body man, so I leave that to the professionals.

Its fit is fine. Fits on the car perfectly. It is mean to stick out as it attached to the bumper—it is not meant to be flush with the bumper cover. If you are referring to it hanging lower than the bumper, that is because it is designed to work with the Roush rear valance and body kit that is going on the car. The only change to its fitment will be a thicker foam piece that is sandwiched between the part and the rear bumper.

as for "look[ing] way out of place" I think that is really opinion. I've made multiple rear diffusers for my cars. This one was the most complicated design. It works for me, and its functional, so I'm happy with it.

Is this what you were referring to?

Last edited:

70Maverick

Established Member
I love how your idea has evolved like most truly creative people's ideas do. This is a compliment.........this current spoiler is NOTHING at all like a Nascar ducktail spoiler. That is what makes it cool. You started some place and ended up worlds away with this next generation.
So cool. I dig it! Very nice looking indeed.
I know this is a race car but on a street car do you think it would end up flexing and vibrating enough to rub through the paint on the trunk lid or not? we just can't see how strong it is. I would imagine it might need at least some foam. just thinking out loud.

61mmstang94

Established Member
Agreed with the rest, the 2nd looks great.

Reminds me of this,

2309xs5pu4_zps3332a42b.jpg

mustangcobranyabilder07wk0_zps075bdb4a.jpg

It does look like the one OP has made and I like OPs from the close up shots he posted...but seeing this style in perspective with the rest of the car I'm not sure if it flows so well with the car.

Wildcard

Established Member
I love how your idea has evolved like most truly creative people's ideas do. This is a compliment.........this current spoiler is NOTHING at all like a Nascar ducktail spoiler. That is what makes it cool. You started some place and ended up worlds away with this next generation.
So cool. I dig it! Very nice looking indeed.
I know this is a race car but on a street car do you think it would end up flexing and vibrating enough to rub through the paint on the trunk lid or not? we just can't see how strong it is. I would imagine it might need at least some foam. just thinking out loud.

Thanks I do that the fact that the spoiler changed over time as a compliment. :beer:

It definitely does not fit under the title of Nascar spoiler anymore.

As your question as to the strength, that is actually a great question, and I want to answer it fully.

The amazing thing about carbon fiber is that it is 10x stronger than aluminum of the same thickness, and 5x stronger than steel. If it has low voids of air pockets, and is compacted by vacuum you get an incredibly strong part that is both strong and light. Plus, whenever you add curves or bends to any structure, you get an i-beam effect where a simple bend adds rigidity to the structure.

I went outside and laid two 14.4" rotors and a 14" rotor on the spoiler. The spoiler is .016mm thick, multi layer carbon fiber that was made with 25 inHG (inches of mercury) which is 12.27 psi or 1766.88 pounds per square foot, which is the weight that is applied to the part.

The rotors were hard to hold on due to the shape, so I have one with me holding them trying to prevent them from sliding, and one just with them weighing down on the part.

null_zpsc238eabd.jpg

null_zpsaaada986.jpg

and a pic of the part after

null_zps60f21377.jpg

If I could have balanced the weighs on this part better it would have been a perfect example, however, I think you get the point that this particular part is extremely strong.

This also brings up another great question, which is how does this part relate to the spoilers that are on most of our cars.

Most of our cars running either saleen, reproduction saleen, 2003 cobra spoilers, or stock spoilers are almost all fiberglass. If you cut them open most likely you would see a texture like this

null_zps05ae3758.jpg

This is strand mat fiberglass. It only cures by using polyester or vinyl resin. Polyester is the most used resin because of its cost. However, it is extremely brittle due to the fact that it cures so fast. If I were to have performed that test with the same spoiler, but made out of fiberglass/polyester resin there would be cracks after I lifted the weights.

The resin that I use has a very high tensile strength, which means that the epoxy I use makes a part that is equivalent—in strength to a part that had more layers of carbon fiber or was thicker.

This leads me to point out that a majority of the items that are for sale as Real Carbon are actually 1 layer of carbon with fiberglass behind it. These parts are most likely made with polyester resin and will not have the strength of a real carbon part that was made with epoxy resin. Here's an example.

This is a piece of a part that I bought awhile ago that was supposed to be real carbon.

Looks like carbon from the front, but once you cut it open you see a white line. that line is fiberglass. You can see that in the second picture.

null_zps0b939f2f.jpg

null_zps04071da4.jpg

this is pretty much what you get in almost everything in the market that has carbon fiber, but is for $200-400 or below.... including hoods, trunks, spoilers, engine covers etc.

So back to the question of how my spoiler will hold up on the street. If it is affixed well with either double stick automotive tape, rivets, or blending in it will not be allowed to bounce around and dig into any paint. As for the wind's effect on the spoiler, this spoiler is much stronger than any fiberglass spoiler that is on any of our cars. So this type of spoiler could go on any vehicle without the addition of foam being added to the inside. And though my black car is a completely built race car—pretty much—it will still see lots of street time, and if a spoiler is made to work at high speeds it will stay together at lower speeds.

Sorry for the long write up :beer:

CJHAMIL

Pew Professional
Established Member
Nice work OP I wish you did work for SN-95s. saleen96 go home you're drunk. Every American has the right to vote as they please, and a lot of Americans have given their lives for that right and many more.

Wildcard

Established Member
Wow! that was a wild couple of hours. Thank you to everyone who supported me. Many Thanks. :beer::rockon:

So onto some questions.

Definitely want one :beer:

Be happy to make a copy. :beer:

I have a feeling someone's going to get a vacation.
OP, great fab work BTW.

You do have good feelings. And thanks... this has been a hard project that's taken about a month. :rockon:

Nice work OP I wish you did work for SN-95s. saleen96 go home you're drunk. Every American has the right to vote as they please, and a lot of Americans have given their lives for that right and many more.

I'm probably going to start working on a 96-98 spoiler soon. Just gotta get myself a copy of the trunk. If anyone can donate me a spoiler that sits on the deck like a saleen, so that I can make a copy of the back I'll help you out with a wing for pretty much the cost to make it.

"Every American has the right to vote as they please, and a lot of Americans have given their lives for that right and many more." I couldn't agree with you more. :rockon:

OP, his shit will be gone from here shortly. Let the mods deal with him.

Definitely good advice.

Nice work dude! I really like your car.
-Garrett

Thanks a lot Garrett. :beer:

-Brett

Very good advice. :beer: Thread cleaned up.:rockon:

Thank you Mod :beer::rockon:

:beer:

OP - Great job and I can't wait to see the final result.

Thanks. :beer:

So now that it's cleaned up can we see a mock up on the car from more angles?

I'll be happy to get more angles. Unfortunately the red car had a leak in RT Rear caliper, so I have that caliper out getting fixed, which is why it is on jacks. I ended up having to buy a spare caliper, so as soon as I get the back put together again, I can get it out on the street and take more pics. The spare caliper will arrive on Friday, so I should have the car back together by Sat.

I've improved the mold some more this week, and I'll be popping out the first final-final-final copy, so I'll take tons of pics from multiple angels. :beer:

Last edited:

yellow98stang

Established Member
I can't wait to see what you come up with for a 94-98.
If you could do something in between a s281 and the t1 wing, I think it would be perfect!
T1
IMG_0720_zpsbb5ec8a2.jpg

Kenne_Bell006_zps8e34c4a5.jpg

S281
20130602_124816_zps5228f674.jpg
20130514_180048_zpsb0cc7c0b.jpg

Last edited:

61mmstang94

Established Member
I can't wait to see what you come up with for a 94-98.
If you could do something in between a s281 and the t1 wing, I think it would be perfect!
T1
IMG_0720_zpsbb5ec8a2.jpg

That is the best looking sn95 I've seen. I'm not sure I'd change on single aspect of it. Except maybe get rid of the saleens and go with some all black forged wheels. It'd be perfection.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread