Ducktail nascar spoiler for 99-04 mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnzilla

Established Member
It does like look like the Dick Harrell Camaro spoiler.
Which is not a bad thing.

And Riddla, I actually like that one where its missing a little in the middle.

Last edited:

94venomV8

Established Member
You have a killer set of skill man no doubt. I love the rear valance you made, not sure about the looks of the wing from the back yet. Dont mind it from the sides, not that my opinion matter. But overall, awesome job! If I still had my car I would love to have you do some stuff on it lol.

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
I certainly like it. I always did like things that were a little different. I agree with the comments about your skills. Good work. I had to mold that ducktail onto my 65 in the photos as well as shaping and contouring the T-Bird / Shelby lights into the rear panel instead of just slapping the lights onto the panel the way a lot of guys do that mod. I understand how difficult that sort of fabrication can be and I commend you.

The Snake

paradigm

Established Member
30hofua.jpg

Which spoiler is this?

Also I am very interested in seeing the final product from the OP. I have always liked the thought of a NASCAR style spoiler.

Wildcard

Established Member
Vacuumed the plug—making a top and a bottom section.

null_zps06bde1d9.jpg

and finished the molds.

null_zps8d77780d.jpg

null_zps4041090c.jpg

(gotta trim this one for excess)

I should have a final by this weekend or at the very latest early next week. I'll also have a surprise that I'll be unveiling at the same time.

Last edited:

Wildcard

Established Member
thanks again to everyone. Just wanted to respond to a few replies.

dem brakes

Yep. Dem Brakes! Btw I love that Calvin and Hobbs comic strip in your signature. I saw that one a few months back and that one is awesome.

You have a killer set of skill man no doubt. I love the rear valance you made, not sure about the looks of the wing from the back yet. Dont mind it from the sides, not that my opinion matter. But overall, awesome job! If I still had my car I would love to have you do some stuff on it lol.

Yah I love the diffuser too—it took me forever to build the plug for that one, as for the wing you know for me I'm not 100% sure either. That is the cool thing about doing this. For me it was "do this, and see if it comes out good." If I like it, then I'll use it. If I don't, then I'll go another direction. Regardless, its fun and through designing I start to find out where I want to be. With all that said, I think that I have found out the direction that I want to go. I'm looking forward to start making the final pieces.

But thanks a lot for the compliments on my work. :beer:

Wow love everything especially the rear diffuser....

Subbin for updates

Thanks! :burnout:

Can you do a write up of the brakes on the cars? good work so far!

I built the brakes awhile ago. I don't think I have a write up on them. I used to build big brake kits for my former company. I think the best advice is to build a jig off of a hub, then take your calipers that are matched with the correct size rotors and start building your bracket. You'll need a machinist and a welder, but once you have it all planned out it all starts to fall together.

I certainly like it. I always did like things that were a little different. I agree with the comments about your skills. Good work. I had to mold that ducktail onto my 65 in the photos as well as shaping and contouring the T-Bird / Shelby lights into the rear panel instead of just slapping the lights onto the panel the way a lot of guys do that mod. I understand how difficult that sort of fabrication can be and I commend you.

The Snake

I definitely wanted to respond to your post. It is a ton of work as you know. Especially if your using microspheres set in epoxy, stuff is massively hard to sand. The '65 looked great—shaping and molding parts is extremely hard, but when its all over it is fun to have a part that you made, that meets your design requirements, and hopefully turns heads. Thanks for the post, and it is cool to hear from someone who has walked this road before. :beer:

Which spoiler is this?

Also I am very interested in seeing the final product from the OP. I have always liked the thought of a NASCAR style spoiler.

very intriguing.... post more pics when done :rockon:

I'm excited too. I should have a finals done by this weekend, and at the latest early next. I also always loved the sleek look of ducktail spoilers.

Very cool man. You have some skills, can't wait to see the finished product!

Thanks! :beer:

I like the spoiler.

Thanks a lot! :beer:

Okay... thank you to everyone and hopefully next post I'll have the finals.

null_zps6925eadc.gif

null_zps7296618f.gif

Last edited:

Wildcard

Established Member
had to refinish the inside of one of the molds because of a bubble. So I resealed the mold from the inside.

null_zps94497174.jpg

null_zps1829361b.jpg

null_zps4b9b9e02.jpg

also did a wet layup on the bottom part mold. I wrap it in aluminum foil to: (1) make sure that there are no strands that are standing up that can poke me; and (2) to give some compression to make the carbon conform to the shape.

2007ShelbyCobra

Established Member
awesome, so awesome. I read the title and was thinking "what is this ricer doing!" started looking through and daaamn was I ever off! lol, subscribing

Wildcard

Established Member
Ok. I talked about a secret earlier. That secret was that I was working on another spoiler in tandem with the spoiler that I showed in the begining. I've decided to work on this one exclusively. I still have the mold for the other one if I choose to make it later, but I like this one better.

Here is the finished part fresh out of the mold. I have to do some refinishing on it, final coat of epoxy over it, and bond all of the sections, but here is a sneak peek.

5934ab6e-5027-4604-9c95-dd042feb6144_zpsf2ccfb2a.jpg

null_zps8c9b44ad-1_zpse89431bd.jpg

null_zps9d94ea89-1_zps3d6f973e.jpg

null_zps8c95f0fd-1_zpsabce4db1.jpg

null_zpsf60ed07c1_zps3d05a6b0.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread