jetaws6

Established Member
Im wondering how this will turn out to. Interesting idea

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
When I saw the first photo of the carbon copy of a wing cut into pieces, I could not fathom how this was going to end up looking anything close to nice. But man, what a fantastic job you did. So professional. I'm really impressed. Everything about your car is fantastic. Love it! :thumbsup: :rockon:

TClark22

Established Member
you got some fab skills for sure. i was expecting something a little smaller, not so ricey looking though.

def looks like its all functional though, and those brakes :) wish i could afford big brakes!

Coiled03

Established Member
Not feelin' the looks of the spoiler, but at least it'll be functional if you're running high speed events.

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
I really like what you've done with your mustang, the brakes, spoiler, diffuser...your ready for action.

I want to do big brake kit but wow 8-piston is overkill x3 for me, 4 maybe 6 piston calipers I can swing lol

JeffSeb

Established Member
After looking at your other thread, everything is better than I would have imagined by reading the title.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
30hofua.jpg

coposrv

Established Member
The car as a whole, You have my complete attention sir.

Wildcard

Established Member
I first off want to say thank you for your guys comments. I defineitly honored and humbled. So thank you. :beer:

I cant respond to each questions so I will respond to a few.

When I saw the first photo of the carbon copy of a wing cut into pieces, I could not fathom how this was going to end up looking anything close to nice. But man, what a fantastic job you did. So professional. I'm really impressed. Everything about your car is fantastic. Love it! :thumbsup: :rockon:

Thanks a lot. Fabrication always has phases. Usually it looks like crap for a while until you start to make things more defined, and then in the hopefully the end result looks good.

At first i was gonna say, all that for street duties, then i saw Mojave...

I like the functionality of everything in this car....:beer:

How easy is it, to lock up those front brakes?

Thanks. I like fast and like functional. What's the point of doing anything if it really doesn't have a purpose. All of the big brakes on my cars stop on a dime. You drive knowing that matter what happens, you hit that pedal and you will be down to speed in a controlled stop asap. I just got back from Vegas yesterday, I took the red car there to see a graduation. And on the 600 total miles, I know that no matter what happens I'm safe. Thankfully I had no trouble this vegas trip, but last time they saved me when a pickup truck wasn't paying attention swerved over almost hitting a big rig, which swerved over almost hitting another big rig. I was glad I had these brakes that day because when you are right behind these trucks going 90-95mph, and all hell breaks loose you want to be out of that sitaution asap.

Thank for comment. :beer:

I was expecting something made out of metal much like the Griggs spoiler. This looks really cool though. Looking forward to seeing it finished. I wouldn't mind learning how to work with composites. Do you have any good links besides that forum or any good book recommendations?

I looked at the Griggs spoiler and its easy to make, that was actually my backup plan if I didn't like what came out, but I kinda like how more full this one is. It isn't just a skeleton which needs posts. So, right now I'm pretty sure I wont have to use that backup plan and design another wing.

I interned at a epoxy manufacturer a summer or two ago and they thought me the ropes for composites, but it is always a learning experience--you learn by doing, and you pick up new techniques that help you do learn. So unfortunately I cannot recommend any books, but there are tutorial in pdf on west marine, fiberglast.com, as well as other composite sites that walk you through the steps. I would say first start with a wet layup. You'll learn all of the in and outs of the material, what you can do with it, and how epoxy works. I strictly use epoxy because it much stronger than polyester resin which is common in fiberglass parts. The polyester is usually why fiberglass parts are so brittle. After mastering wet, move to vacuum bagging. It's a huge step up in the quality of the parts, but your racing against a clock to lay up and epoxy can start getting hot before your done. Then there is throwing it in the bag and firing it up. Vacuum bagging will give good parts, but it is always a challenge and you are hoping that you don't have any problems while you are doing it because that cure time is getting closer and closer. The final step unless you build a oven or have access to an autoclave is vacuum infusion. Vacuum infusion is like that Starship Enterprise compared to a 1930's car. It is awesome. You don't get dirty, there is no clock, and it is actually fun. You put the parts in dry, you take your time building your bag. Testing it for leaks, and then when you are all done, you introduce the epoxy which is infused through the fabric. The only problems with the latter two, bagging and infusion is that you have to build your mold to withstand vaccuum. For bagging you don't need the full vaccum or 20-30 inHG( inches of Mercury). You can just get it to hold the parts without deforming the plug or the mold if it is not strong enough. However, for infusion the part will have to be tough. If it isn't you will not get a good part. You will get a deformed part, and all of this carbon, supplies, epoxy, fiberglass is all time and money. You don't want to lose money, so it's a big challenge getting it all together. So just start trying with it. You are going to learn about the material, techniques and you will eventually progress to making parts, but it will not be quick. There are many dark alleys that you have to walk before you find the yellow brick road.

I just had my freakin mind blown when I walked into this thread. Bud what part of Cali are you in? I'd like to get together and chat you up one of these days

I'm in studying Law up in San Fran, but its summer time, so I'm back in the land of Socal! Sun, hot weather... I missed this place :bowdown:

I got back and just decided to see what I could do with this wing for fun. If it turned out to anything then cool, if not then that's R&D for you. :beer:

you got some fab skills for sure. i was expecting something a little smaller, not so ricey looking though.

def looks like its all functional though, and those brakes :) wish i could afford big brakes!

Not feelin' the looks of the spoiler, but at least it'll be functional if you're running high speed events.

Thanks for the fab skills. Hopefully it turns out nice. Nice things about building things is that it has to look good to me. If it doesn't then it wont go on. I'm definetly not trying to go for a rice look, but its styling is not for everyone. I looked at a smaller wing, and it wouldn't give me downforce, and I need it. So it's it has to be a functional spoiler. But as always there are different strokes for different folks.

yah those brakes are pricey. Pretty much 10k of brakes on each car.

but thanks for the comments. :beer:

I really like what you've done with your mustang, the brakes, spoiler, diffuser...your ready for action.

I want to do big brake kit but wow 8-piston is overkill x3 for me, 4 maybe 6 piston calipers I can swing lol

Yah at Accufab when I brought those rotors and calipers in they said "Damn, are you trying to stop a train." Brembo doesn't even make the 8's anymore, but I wanted the 8's so I got them. Six's are pretty much the max now days. Unless you go with a company like WP which will give you 12, but their probably 12 tiny pistons.

I never saw that, and that is a pretty cool picture, minus the missing section. Ducktail is a common favorite of almost any car culture, from imports, to old muscle cars, to even trucks. It can be just simple and functional. I know that I'm thinking of incorporating a brake light and the key hole in mine (it was covered over in the plug because the first rule of composites is get rid of the holes), but it arrived yesterday this an idea of where I am planning on putting it.

null_zpsd7c059bb.jpg

But thanks for that picture! :beer:

The car as a whole, You have my complete attention sir.

Thanks! Doing all of the fabrication to this car has been a beast, but thank you! :beer:

Last edited:

Wildcard

Established Member
after letting the top part dry for a day. I sealed the bottom half. So after a day or two I can start making my molds.

null_zpsb888dba1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread