Drag radials and durability of the drivetrain

IceMan

Vanilla Ice
Established Member
alright, so i just picked up a set of 275/40/17 M/T's .. i have zero work on my rear... im gonna get a BF brace before i put the tires on but what about the input shaft and the half shafts..?

Current mods:
2.93 pully
K&N CAI
Borla Catback
tune

Last edited:

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
like all drag radials dont dump the clutch on launch just slip the clutch a little so it preloads the drivetrain by doing that stock halfshafts/axles which ever sould be fine and even with out a diff brace/girdle

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
well an irs brace would sure be good insurance with stock irs bushings

the halfshafts are usually only in danger of snapping if you have wheelhop, so immediately if you do

the stock input shaft for many folks holds up fine, even when drag racing with a twin screw

what kind of launching were you doing with your previous tires? you will sure find it hooks alot better with these tires! alot of fun

yellowgt02

Established Member
Wheel hop doesnt kill halfshafts. Wheel will kill the differential.

Its the combination of shock on the drivetrain and stiff sidewalls(Drag Radials) that kill halfshafts. This is why many of the hardcore Cobra drag racers on here swear by ET Streets or a Full Slick.

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
I broke a half shaft then went lvl5 and bf brace, then cracked the diff cover with the brace on. Now i have a sra. Mickeys should be better with the irs then nittos because of the softer sidewall. And i broke my 10 spline input shaft in the interstate with the nittos on the 3-4 shift.

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
I broke a half shaft then went lvl5 and bf brace, then cracked the diff cover with the brace on. Now i have a sra. Mickeys should be better with the irs then nittos because of the softer sidewall. And i broke my 10 spline input shaft in the interstate with the nittos on the 3-4 shift.

Damn man you must be like the master of driving your car to cause that much stuff to happen.

I have done all kinds of racing with my stock shafts, and different tire combos. Never an issue, but I dont beat the hell out of the car. I just tossed in some lvl2's cause a local guy had them for sale.

My fastest times at the track have been powering through the wheel hop.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
OP, you should be fine in moderation...just don't get stupid...just remember that they can go at any time, lol

gnxs

Established Member

Its the combination of shock on the drivetrain and stiff sidewalls(Drag Radials) that kill halfshafts. This is why many of the hardcore Cobra drag racers on here swear by ET Streets or a Full Slick.
The title of the thread is "Drag Radials and durability of the drivetrain. :shrug:

Wheel hop and DR's will kill halfshafts....... Been there, done that.

Grenade the pumpkin with Level 5's in the car....been there, done that too.

Been through stockers, DSS Level 5's, now have a solid and ET Streets. Problem solved.

Yes the ET Streets (or any tire with a flexible sidewall) will be way more forgiving on the half-shafts, but the OP didn't mention his fears being on the street or strip and the ET Streets are not a practical street tire.

I broke a half shaft then went lvl5 and bf brace, then cracked the diff cover with the brace on. Now i have a sra.
Sounds like me and you traveled the same road. :beer:

Last edited:

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
with the setup in sig, the only driveline problems i ever had was the rear diff started leaking. the bf diff brace cured that. even after a few launches everything else is fine. like another guy posted, preload it by letting the clutch out a little slower and u should be fine.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
The MT drag radials are very sticky and have a pretty soft sidewall for a drag radial, as long as you don't treat them like a slick you'll be fine.

Wheel hop does kill halfshafts, it's the main cause of half shaft failures.

IceMan

Vanilla Ice
Established Member
Thanks for all of the input guys.. im going to be using these on the street.. they should be sufficient for 30+mph rolls ect.. im gonna save a few $ and get the brace and diff bushings at the same time.. ill have a little more peace of mind that i at least make an attempt to re-enforce the IRS. :beer:

gnxs

Established Member
Thanks for all of the input guys.. im going to be using these on the street.. they should be sufficient for 30+mph rolls ect.. im gonna save a few $ and get the brace and diff bushings at the same time.. ill have a little more peace of mind that i at least make an attempt to re-enforce the IRS. :beer:
The Billetflow IRS brace is required equipment. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread