Does the VIN# indicate when the vehicle..

Poy-ZIN

Established Member
If someone will give me there fax#, I will fax a copy of the
letter from Ford tomorrow. And they can post for all to see
Poy Zin

philip

Tweet Tweet Bitch
Established Member
A car’s vehicle identification number (VIN) is the automotive equivalent of
human "DNA".

It sets their vehicles apart from the millions of vehicles out there. In later years it is reflected in 17 digit characters. It displays a car’s uniqueness and heritage and provides a form of factory to scrap yard identification. It can be used to track recalls, registrations, warranty claims, thefts and insurance coverage. Each character or digit has a particular purpose.

1st character- Identifies the country in which the vehicle was manufactured.
For example: U.S.A.(1or4), Canada(2), Mexico(3), Japan(J), Korea(K), England(S), Germany(W), Italy(Z)

2nd character- Identifies the manufacturer. For example; Audi(A),
BMW(B), Buick(4), Cadillac(6), Chevrolet(1), Chrysler(C), Dodge(B),
Ford(F), GM Canada(7), General Motors(G), Honda(H), Jaquar(A), Lincoln(L), Mercedes Benz(D), Mercury(M), Nissan(N), Oldsmobile(3), Pontiac(2or5), Plymouth(P), Saturn(8), Toyota(T), VW(V), Volvo(V).

3rd character- Identifies vehicle type or manufacturing division.

4th to 8th characters- Identifies vehicle features such as body style, engine type, model, series, etc.

9th character- Identifies VIN accuracy as check digit.

10th character- Identifies the model year. For example: 1988(J), 1989(K), 1990(L), 1991(M), 1992(N), 1993(P), 1994(R), 1995(S), 1996(T),
1997(V), 1998(W), 1999(X), 2000(Y)------2001(1), 2002(2), 2003(3)

11th character- Identifies the assembly plant for the vehicle.

12th to 17th characters- Identifies the sequence of the vehicle for production
as it rolled of the manufacturers assembly line.

This last set of directions should help some people, but as for my svt focus which is #3069 of 4788....has the last numbers 228568 which I see no relationship between the two. :shrug:

Last edited:

Mach1driver

Established Member
My Mach 1 would apply as the mustangs share sequence numbers. My VIN is 1FAFP42R63F337756. I don't know the exact build date just that it is sometime in early November. Knowing that, the sequence in my VIN should be higher then cars built earlier and lower then cars built later. The only thing I can think of that might account for some minor variances every now and then is if maybe a vehicle is assigned a VIN and then for some reason there is a material hold or some other issue that stops production on a particular model within the Mustang lineup. The car would'nt be built until later allowing numerically higher VIN's to have a build date earlier then the one in question. I doubt this happens often and still think the VIN is a very good indicator of who's car was built before anothers. But I guess we are gettin off track from the orginal question so I will add that I agree with the concensus that VIN has no relation to serial #.

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
Ok, a bit a clarity might be helpful from an engineer who has actually worked in an auto assembly plant....(although it's been about 10 years!)

VIN, "phillip" did an excellent explaination. I would only add that the VIN number is added, in many places on the car, just as the car is leaving the the scheduling bank apon entering the final assembly line. As Phillip pointed out, cars may be taken off-line for parts shortages or inspection failures and returned later in the sequence. Typically, this delay lasts less than a day. HOWEVER, with limited production cars assembly delays due to parts shortages are very common and most builds must be "finessed" for fit/finish before shipping in any case. Usually, this is done on a as-we-get-some-spare-time basis. If they are running behind they'll probably park all of the Cobras and get to them later. I think this is the most likely cause of all the "sequence" versus "vin" issues.

Build date (on the build sheet) , meaningless, basically the date when the build sheet was printed and affixed to the car. Cars have more than one "build sheet" because there are many sub-assembly lines that use these sheets to aid in the configuration of hardware. Most are removed from the car before they leave the the particular sub-assembly area.

Ship date, The date the car was loaded on the truck or train for transport to the sales/distribution region. This is the "build date" that I suspect Ford reports to SVT owners.

Sequence number, every major production area (paint, body-weld, final assembly, etc.) assigns a "sequence number". It's meaningless. You may see it on the build sheet or stamped on the body --double meaningless.

Shipping sequence number, your cars place in the shipping sequence. If SVT tells you that your car is number 1152 out of 8000, this is where that number comes from.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by mike_b_svt
Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought that the VINs were assigned sequentially to everything that comes off the same assembly line... So they show sequence of assembly, like the serial number of any other manufactured product.

Not trying to restart anything just wanted to comment on this. Our cars started out as base mustangs the got pulled off the assembly line to get finished as Cobras (atleast that was the way it was explained to me). At what point does a chassis get it's vin plate? If it's in the initial stage of the chassis build up than that would explain vin grouping and gaps. This theory only works to a point.

Anyone remember the anticipation building up to receipt. Most of us thought we would die before the car arrived. All the calls to the VOPC etc. IMO the point at which we got our partial vin was at this partial chassis phase. Final vins must not have been assigned until the chassis moved to the Cobra assembly line. Ergo the sequential Vin theory can't be correct. Since the different postion #'s "code" a car as base, gt, cobra you can't assign true sequential vin #'s. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not disputing that there may be a vin# .00038,00039,00040 etc. vin sequence to the Cobras. That’s surely not the sequence they came off the assembly line though. As always I’m sure there someone “in the know” out there.

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Originally posted by SoCalBlk03
IMO the point at which we got our partial vin was at this partial chassis phase. Final vins must not have been assigned until the chassis moved to the Cobra assembly line. Ergo the sequential Vin theory can't be correct. Since the different postion #'s "code" a car as base, gt, cobra you can't assign true sequential vin #'s. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not disputing that there may be a vin# .00038,00039,00040 etc. vin sequence to the Cobras. That’s surely not the sequence they came off the assembly line though. As always I’m sure there someone “in the know” out there.

Originally posted by Phillip
12th to 17th characters- Identifies the sequence of the vehicle for production
as it rolled of the manufacturers assembly line.

This last set of directions should help some people, but as for my svt focus which is #3069 of 4788....has the last numbers 228568 which I see no relationship between the two.

SoCal, I think Phillip is right, based on everything I have ever heard about VINs and car production.

Now, you are right that most cobras will not show sequential VINs- that is because you have v6, GT and Mach1s being VIN'ed at the same time. So those cars fill the VIN gaps.

And while the cars may not roll off the assembly line in VIN order, this would be due to pulling cars aside / holding certain cars (including our Cobras).

VIN has absolutely nothing to do with your Cobra / Focus build number (Cobra #2345 of ~10,000).

M.

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
Got Incon?- Your VIN's last 5 is way different. Don't know what that means, just an observation.:shrug:

That is because between 7/02 and 1/27/03 there were about 85,000 mustang-chassis vehicles built (subtract VIN#301834 from VIN#386494 = 84660). Not bad for 6 months of production, in my opinion.

M.

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
Cobras are mixed in with V6 cars and GTs during produciton. Although I suspect there is probably an assembly spur just to finesse the Cobras a bit since the parts are so different.

The models are mixed like this so assembly-line workers don't get overworked by a long sequence of tack time intensive options.

Also, it helps beat the boredoom.

beabout

Established Member
Thread hyjack alert.... T3 Cobra where did you get that meter at... I got to have one.... :beer:

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Originally posted by beabout
Thread hyjack alert.... T3 Cobra where did you get that meter at... I got to have one.... :beer:

Just right click on it and save it to your hard drive.

use as needed ...... :lol:

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Poy-ZIN
I posted this early.This is what it says
FORD
FORD SPECIAL VEHICLE TEAM
CERTIES THAT
VEHICLE IDENTICATION NUMBER
#BLA BLA
IS LIMITED-EDITION 2003 SVT MUSTANG COBRA
ASSEMBLEDAT DERBORN ASSEMBLY PLANT ON 8/15/2002
THIS VEHICLE IS #2152 OF A BUILD
TOM SCARPELLO O.J. CLETTI
AND LET ME TELL A FEW OF YOU GUYS. I HAVE A LOT BETTER THINGS TO DO THAN TO COME ON HERE AND TALK BULLSHIT. SO DON'T GIVE ME THAT BULLSHIT, ABOUT OPENING UP A CAN OF WORMS. YOU PEOPLE ARE ALLWAYS READY TO JUMP THE GUN. THIS YOUR PROOF. I WILL BRING THE PAPER TO MUSTANG MAGIC, THIS WEEK, I WILL LET HIM POST A COPY OF IT. BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW HOW.
POY ZIN

This is all hogwash. There is no such letter from SVT or Ford yet.

Poy-ZIN

Established Member
VIN#

Where are all the big MOUTHS? I asked for a fax#, to send a copy of the document. This is to you 4 Big mouths
03 red Cobra, the troll
Cobrapete the spelling gunius
T3cobraBullshit meter maid
And for your info, I call up SVT today. And the document I have
is the one you are all waiting for. They made a error and sent it to me. You can call them and ask them, if somone called them today, about this. Or give me a fax# and I will fax it to you and you put it on this site. And we will see who is doing all the bullshiting around here.
Poy Zin

Last edited:

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Re: VIN#

Where are all the big MOUTHS? I asked for a fax#, to send a copy of the document. This is to you 4 Big mouths
03 red Cobra, the troll
03Snake the worm man

is the one you are all waiting for. They made a error and sent it to me. You can call them and ask them, if somone called them today, about this. Or give me a fax# and I will fax it to you and you put it on this site. And we will see who is doing all the bullshiting around here.
Poy Zin

Okay I'll bite .... can you fax it in the next 10 minutes? I am leaving shortly but would wait if you can. Let me know and I will give you the fax number. I will scan it when I get home and post it.

Poy-ZIN

Established Member
VIN #

To all, I will fax a copy of my cert. to 03Cobra tomorrow at 10am
eastern time. He will post asap.
Poy Zin

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Re: VIN#

03 red Cobra, the troll
03Snake the worm man

Poy Zin

POY-SIN, Watch your step there big guy. I was pretty civil with you, trying to help slow down the slams you were getting. No need to bring up my nick in your post......

Poy-ZIN

Established Member
VIN#

03Snake, I deleted your name in my retaliation, upon reviewing your post, I realize you were just asking for the proof. Its on the way. Please correct the spelling of my name to Poy Zin, not
Poy Sin.
Thanks,

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread