Does the VIN# indicate when the vehicle..

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by Mach1driver
I don't see how that is possible. I could see two cars with very close Cobra serial #'s having VIN's that were seperated by a large margin BUT I can't two cars with close VIN's being built months apart. Serial #'s months apart yes, VIN's months apart no. Hope that makes sense. :)

Maybe I didn't word it properly but this thread is an example of how the Vin#'s have nothing to do with production. There's a lot of extra stuff to sort through but vin#'s are given on p1 an3 showing the disparity in the sequence.

old thread

Mine is ..1482 built June 20, but not delivered until July 13. Why who knows. I didn't want to sort through all the old threads but there was also a member whose vin is like ..0098 that didn't get his car well into the build. The Vins are assigned by build approval and have absolutely nothing to do with production/ assembly etc. If someone has better examples to help explain this please post them. :read:

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Originally posted by 03snake
OK POY-SIN. You opened a can of worms, now it's time to go fishing. Post a copy of this letter, or explain how you are the only Cobra owner that has one, and your car was built almost 4 months after mine..........

On a whim I called svt today and asked this question and was told ... "Maybe in 6-8 months"

Poy-sin you need to respond to this BS or at this point a OUT RIGHT LIE.

I would suggest you leave for good

:bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

Poy-ZIN

Established Member
I posted this early.This is what it says
FORD
FORD SPECIAL VEHICLE TEAM
CERTIES THAT
VEHICLE IDENTICATION NUMBER
#BLA BLA
IS LIMITED-EDITION 2003 SVT MUSTANG COBRA
ASSEMBLEDAT DERBORN ASSEMBLY PLANT ON 8/15/2002
THIS VEHICLE IS #2152 OF A BUILD
TOM SCARPELLO O.J. CLETTI
AND LET ME TELL A FEW OF YOU GUYS. I HAVE A LOT BETTER THINGS TO DO THAN TO COME ON HERE AND TALK BULLSHIT. SO DON'T GIVE ME THAT BULLSHIT, ABOUT OPENING UP A CAN OF WORMS. YOU PEOPLE ARE ALLWAYS READY TO JUMP THE GUN. THIS YOUR PROOF. I WILL BRING THE PAPER TO MUSTANG MAGIC, THIS WEEK, I WILL LET HIM POST A COPY OF IT. BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW HOW.
POY ZIN

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Originally posted by Poy-ZIN
I posted this early.This is what it says
FORD
FORD SPECIAL VEHICLE TEAM
CERTIES THAT
VEHICLE IDENTICATION NUMBER
#BLA BLA
IS LIMITED-EDITION 2003 SVT MUSTANG COBRA
ASSEMBLEDAT DERBORN ASSEMBLY PLANT ON 8/15/2002
THIS VEHICLE IS #2152 OF A BUILD
TOM SCARPELLO O.J. CLETTI
AND LET ME TELL A FEW OF YOU GUYS. I HAVE A LOT BETTER THINGS TO DO THAN TO COME ON HERE AND TALK BULLSHIT. SO DON'T GIVE ME THAT BULLSHIT, ABOUT OPENING UP A CAN OF WORMS. YOU PEOPLE ARE ALLWAYS READY TO JUMP THE GUN. THIS YOUR PROOF. I WILL BRING THE PAPER TO MUSTANG MAGIC, THIS WEEK, I WILL LET HIM POST A COPY OF IT. BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW HOW.
POY ZIN

My response is ......

NewGuy

And I thought this would be such a simple post.

Thanks to SoCalBlk03 who did an excellent job of answering my question. :beer:

T3 Cobra :lol: :lol: :lol:

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Does anyone remember WHEN production of the 03 actually began? I don't think it was as early as August, and even if so, SVT was building them at a trickle at first. Over 2000 by 8/15/02 ? Sounds fishy to me too....:nono: And I'll second that SVT does not send out the certificate of authenticity till AFTER the production run is complete. Most owners don't get theirs till a few months after the model year is done.

Last edited:

Poy-ZIN

Established Member
For all you non-believers, you gave new meaning to my interst in
sharing info. I thought thats what this board is about, but I see
some of you are more interested in making accusations than sharing info. I'm not here for a spelling lesson. When I bought this car, they did't ask me if I knew how to spell money when I handed them $35,000. in cash. When the document is posted, T3 Cobra, YOU CAN TAKE YOUR INDICATOR BAR AND STICK IT WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE! AND THATS BEING NICE!!!

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
POY-SIN, It's obvious that the document you hold is not actually a SVT Build Certificate that is mailed to each owner at the end of the production cycle. I think that is what everybody is trying to say in one way or another. I/we are not sure what piece of paper you have, it could be something from SVTOA, or some other type of certificate. It's been common practice from Ford and SVT since it's inception, to mail the build certificates after the model year is closed in order to accurately inform you what your build # is out of how many they make.

Poy-ZIN

Established Member
As I'm new to Ford, I do not know If this certificate is an actual Build Certificate. I only offered the fact that SVT sent me a certificate which states my VIN and the build #2152 of my vehicle. as well as assembly location and date. This certificate is open ended and does not state the total # of production which leads me to believe there are more to come. My only point to my earlier post was to show no connection between VIN and build #, if you recall, that was the original question! Many of our readers decided to make my post, which offered this imformation, reason for a witch hunt.

Poy Zin

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Originally posted by SoCalBlk03
Maybe I didn't word it properly but this thread is an example of how the Vin#'s have nothing to do with production. There's a lot of extra stuff to sort through but vin#'s are given on p1 an3 showing the disparity in the sequence.

Mine is ..1482 built June 20, but not delivered until July 13. Why who knows. I didn't want to sort through all the old threads but there was also a member whose vin is like ..0098 that didn't get his car well into the build. The Vins are assigned by build approval and have absolutely nothing to do with production/ assembly etc. If someone has better examples to help explain this please post them. :read:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought that the VINs were assigned sequentially to everything that comes off the same assembly line... So they show sequence of assembly, like the serial number of any other manufactured product.

Where is the Ford rep / assembly guy to straigten this out?

Now, I will agree that VIN has absolutely nothing to do with the SVT Cobra production number. Two completely different things.

03DOHC

Established Member
If two or three people can PM me their complete VIN's I can have it run and post the build date/last 5 of the VIN or whatever, to see if there is any pattern.

03DOHC

Established Member
Poy-ZIN, your build date is 8/15/02. Mine is 8/29/02 and your VIN is a lower number than mine. I ran a few others and so far it appears that the last numbers in the VIN get higher as the build date gets newer.

*EDITED BECAUSE I HAVE 2003 ON THE BRAIN*:D Sorry.

Last edited:

03cobra#116

Established Member
I have one data point to add if it helps:

Number 116 was ordered at the end of March, built 6/7 and delivered 6/25.

I know when I ordered it and when it was delivered. The build date came from the extended warranty paperwork.

03DOHC

Established Member
Got Incon?- Your VIN's last 5 is way different. Don't know what that means, just an observation.:shrug:

Last edited:

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
Well seeing as it was built after the superbowl, I hope nothing else on my car is way different

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
vin and build sheet

I see that dates and so on are being asked. I have found the build sheet under the back bumper. the drivers tag says 6/02 the build sheet says later than that actually 6/13/2002 at 2:16 pm at least this is when the final build sheet was done. I am attaching a scanned image of it.

Users who are viewing this thread