Does the type of vehicle you drive have an influence on your driving style?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have to admit, as well, that I drive fairly aggressively in any car I drive. Worse was my '03 Cobra, LOL. Doesn't really matter what car I'm driving. I do try to be mellow behind the wheel but I usually shift into aggressive in short time. Not angry aggressive. Just jack rabbit starts and hanging at the speed limit and a bit beyond.

When the grand-kids are in the car, I'm definitely more mellow.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I get the exact opposite by people slowing way down and getting out of the passing lane and doing the speed limit with me in the Marauder.

Thats because you bought the color where the paint blisters off. I rarely ever have that happen to me ;-)

I do drive more calm in the bronco than the marauder or the bmw. The bmw, I have stereotypes to live up to :lol1:

RocketSurgeon

Established Member
If I'm in any kind of traffic I'm usually a pretty mellow driver whether I'm in the Boss or my truck. Now over in the canyons just west of my house is a whole different story. I don't think the truck has ever even seen those roads but I definitely drive the Boss in ways I could never dream of doing with a 17 year old pickup. The truck actually probably has a higher average speed, though, since most of the time if I'm driving it it's just on desolate roads through Montana and Wyoming going back and forth between work in North Dakota and home in Colorado.

Lycosa

Established Member
I'm relatively cautious when I'm around traffic and not as aggressive as some. However, when there are no cars around or a gap on all sides, I think it's a lot harder to beat on a hybrid camry than a cobra. I've always been to scared to floor the camry. I don't know why. Always felt like it would break...

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
I'm an aggressive driver no matter what I'm in.

This is me for sure.

All my cars have power adders, so I take full advantage of them. My wife's first car was a 2007 Toyota RAV4 and my god I fell asleep every time I drove it. Merging onto the highway? Had to get out and push!!

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
I think I drive the same in both my vehicles, when I drive my GF's car I definatly drive a lot more mellow as I do with anyone else's car, I do not want to F up anyone else's stuff.

kaz109

Established Member
Yes it for sure makes a difference for me. When I am in my daily I just cruise and very rarely speed or take off from a stoplight. At most i down shift so i can hear the exhaust note but When I am in my neon or M3 I am completely different. The neon I punch it on every and any stretch of road I can and the M3 I am pedal down the entire way to the track and through the canyons.

...Mark...

Established Member
Bottom line... If i have my kids and/or wife in any of the 3 cars i behave..

If i am solo in any of the 3 i drive how i feel like driving at the time.

I will say this though.. Driving a vert with the top down i am more conscious of it and don't pull as much shit as i did once upon a time. Verts leave you exposed for obvious reasons.

Coiled03

Established Member
If I'm by myself, the vehicle I drive has no bearing. I'm aggressive no matter what.

If my daughter is in the car, I drive much more defensively.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
My Mustang is my DD. Sometimes I'm mellow yellow when I drive it, sometimes I'm balls to the wall and make it a point to just drive fast and get where I'm going quickly. My fiance rarely rides in the car with me, but when she does, I tone it down a little bit.

truefiveo

Established Member
I have a spotless driving record.

Kinda sucks owning a 500 HP vehicle and not being able to push it like it was built to be pushed.
The older I get the more I have to lose.
I haven't street raced since 2004 and I never will again, not even a little highway play.

One of these days Ill try the whole strip/track thing.

Last edited:

mjohns930

Established Member
I drive my wife's Lexus CT200h like it's an F1 car, which, let's be honest, with this year's new power units in F1, it practically is. I generally drive my Mustang like I used to drive my old 1998 Cavalier: 5mph over the limit then hit cruise control.

B0B

Established Member
I like this thread.

I drive defensively in the mustang. I try to stay away from other cars to avoid getting into an accident or rock chips. On the open road I like to get on it from time to time, but I don't drive like I used to. I rarely exceed the speed limit, and I never do more than 10 over (except for the occasional pull to 100 on an open country road).

I drive the jeep to the equivalent of an old man driving a farm truck. the straight 6 has the torque to rarely exceed 2500 rpm.

When I'm in the truck I become the asshole who lets you know when you're driving like a dip shit:

Merging onto the freeway? Yield bitch, I'm not changing lanes.

Driving in the left lane on the freeway while you aren't passing? how do my high beams look in your face?

Tailgating? I don't care. My hitch will go through your radiator if I have to come to an abrupt stop.

Pull out in front of me? I will miss hitting you by a few inches and make your butthole pucker so bad you won't shit for a week.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Hmmm, I don't know. I have a, I don't know, 90hp Civic, and a 470rwhp Mustang. The mustang comes out not even weekly. When it doesn, it's time to be naughty. :) Traffic lights become Christmas trees, corners are reasons to send the ass end sideways, etc. Years back when the mustang was a DD, I would say I drove it a little more mildly. Now when it comes out, it has a purpose....and that's not going slow.

Stroszek

Goes to 11
Established Member
My driving style influences what kind of vehicle I drive. The confines of asphalt and edge lines are not terribly appealing to me.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Well, my DD is a 2000 F-250 7.3 PSD so it's moderately fun to drive relative to it's size. I have a '96 Superduty/F-450 7.3 flatbed with a 5-speed that is surprisingly strong and fun to drive as well mostly because it's the only manual in my stable. The Lightning I usually cruise around and will give it some throttle every now and then but I don't really give it hell because I don't really have empty roads out here. My girl doesn't like riding in it especially when she starts to hear the whine lol. Meanwhile, driving her Toyota Matrix feels like a death trap sometimes when trying to accelerate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jebadias

Established Member
Yes.

I find that on faster cars I drove them far more docile. I rarely went WOT in the Cobra, but was throttle happy in my GT. With my dsm's, the faster I made them, the slower I drove them.

My fusion? I drive it like im in nascar, unless cruise control is on, its WOT or full brakes, especially in traffic. It handles pretty well for what it is, so I like to carry as much speed as possible through onramps and such and around bends.

This is me...

Cavalier, Stock TBI F-Bodies, or any slower cars I have had I drove like a prick. Maybe I was compensating for lack of performance.

Older Mustang GTs, TPI or upgraded TBI F-Bodies and my Super Coupe were quicker and I drove... spirited.

Driving my Grand National or Boss around and I often notice that I am driving below the speed limit. I suppose I know it's fast and have nothing to prove.

I always drive trucks slower... not sure why. Must be too much time driving in slow military convoys. I always drive my Superduty 60-65 mph unless I am in a big hurry, which isn't too often.

Chosyn1

I'm your Huckleberry
Established Member
i'm pretty chill behind the wheel of any car and mostly stay in the slow lane to cruise, but i love me some on ramps. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread