Does the type of vehicle you drive have an influence on your driving style?

snakecharmer

Established Member
Definitely matters. When I'm in the ZR1, the gas pedal is finding the floor. Period. It also holds true on the bikes. I'm much more laid back on the Springer than I am on the Vrod.

KingJacobo

GM Fanboy Gone Darkside
Established Member
When I drive the '66 I'm an old man, never going over 2500 RPM.

The Mark VIII, I'm a very mellow sane driver. Except when I need to be, or if it's been awhile since I've stepped on it and have a wide open stretch.

The Trans Am, I'll drive normally but a little more spirited and will accelerate a little faster, holding it in gear a little longer than the other cars. Turns will be taken faster.

rancid

Established Member
I drive like a pussy 90% of the time in the Mustang. She's my baby - I do it more to keep my awareness of other dumb shit drivers on the road. If I ever were to be involved in an accident in that car it will not have been my fault.

+1 sadly. I am way more careful and slower in my Shelby than my DD Honda or my wife's car just because it already draws attention by the model/color, don't need to add speed into the mix.

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
Some days I drive like my mom would drive my car, others I drive like an asshole because I like how my car sounds, and most days I just relax and drive it. Yesterday was the first day I've actually floored it in a good month, still as slow as molasses.

rfugio68

Established Member
Trans Am/Camaro SS=wot every stop light.
Lexus IS250= usually mellow but will wot a lot just because it's slow.
Escalade= Drive mellow, awd launches every now and then.
My old truck=lots of rolling burnouts.
Lifted silverado= drive slow but drove over curbs/parked like an asshole often.
5.0=Mellow 90% of the time, I find it boring to drive and would rather listen to my subs.

Stang Lover

Established Member
Depends on the conditions. When I'm by myself I drive it like it's meant to be driven but "safe" if that makes sense haha.

leo2hot4tv

Established Member
Yes.

I find that on faster cars I drove them far more docile. I rarely went WOT in the Cobra, but was throttle happy in my GT. With my dsm's, the faster I made them, the slower I drove them.

My fusion? I drive it like im in nascar, unless cruise control is on, its WOT or full brakes, especially in traffic. It handles pretty well for what it is, so I like to carry as much speed as possible through onramps and such and around bends.

Lol, I'm the same way. The faster I make the car, the slower I drive it.

punisherser

the real STIG
Established Member
It does with me, was driving a 2014 sentra (rental) this weekend and I was actually trying to keep the mpgs as high as possible.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
When I'm driving the Cobra I take my time in between gears and take a couple seconds to shift. But, then I usually drive 10-15 over when on the interstate

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
When in the Cobra I usually just cruise until it's time to go WOT. I figure if I'm going to get a ticket it's not going to be for doing 70 in a 55, it's going to be a good one. My average speed on the highway is definitely higher in my daily driver vehicles.

Zerohe

Bro do you even Boost?
Established Member
I think I drive the same in both my vehicles, when I drive my GF's car I definatly drive a lot more mellow as I do with anyone else's car, I do not want to F up anyone else's stuff.

This. Girlfriend's Odyssey is nothing to goose it in.
The twin turbos in the Cayenne make it hard to remember im in an SUV. I usually try to hang at the speed limit in it. Half the time my kids are in it, so Im driving defensively and cautiously .

The Cobra.. The exhaust make it so damn loud its hard to do the speed limit in town as i am staring at every cop that passes by i try to drive under and then give it a good tap about 200-400 feet from a stop light after a down shift(4th to 2nd) and hang in that gear.

cant afford tickets right now so i try and behave ;-)

Blown 89

Established Member
I drive the speed limit in the Cobra simply because there's more feedback from the car so it's easier to relax. I'm more likely to use the power to navigate traffic but that's it. Our Lexus has a V8 but the power lag will get you into trouble. It takes a while for it to downshift then even longer to get into the power band so it acts like a 4cyl car when merging. I'm far more cautious in my truck for no other reason than the blind spots.

Users who are viewing this thread