Dodge Challenger SRT Demon

blk02edge

Established Member
i'm sure they are all a blast on the track.
Yea I mean they were lightyears apart in lap times but that's obvious, the gt500 was quite good for its weight and shape though.

Anyway, getting back on track, I'm sure it will be awesome for Demon owners to conquer all the factory stock drag racing events out there :p

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Sticks aren't just about speed now. Its about driver engagement and enjoyment, even if you give up a few tenths. Pretty important on a DD for me.

I admittedly haven't tried the new 8 speed or 10 speed autos, but I feel like I would be bored driving them.

I unloaded my 12 GT500 for the engagement and lack of enjoyment of the TR6060. Haven't driven a new GT350, but I will go on record and dare anyone to disagree the stock shifters and shifting characteristics of 03/04 cobras, and S197 GT500 is truly lacking.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
S197 500 here and tr6060 has been nothing but solid and butter smooth.

C0bra99

Established Member
I found the shifter in my 13 500 to be too spongy so once I installed the Barton it has been fine

From somewhere on earth

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Not just the feel....the ergonomics are WAY off in a terminator. I have long ass arms like an orangutan and 3rd and 5th were a reach because I'm 6'3". I do agree the stock shifter was a slosh box.

03/04s definitely lacked in the shifter feel department.... cant speak for pre 13 500s

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I unloaded my 12 GT500 for the engagement and lack of enjoyment of the TR6060. Haven't driven a new GT350, but I will go on record and dare anyone to disagree the stock shifters and shifting characteristics of 03/04 cobras, and S197 GT500 is truly lacking.

I didn't say every manual was perfect, lol. Even with the quirks of some of the manuals, I still prefer it over an auto for outright driving enjoyment. I haven't had to live with many on a long term basis though. Especially the newer manuals.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
The only irksome thing I ever experienced with the stock shifter in my '11 GT500 was the 1-2 grind. Bought an MGW (gen 1) shifter, and it still grinds. C'est la vie.

Dodge has the Demon. Hennessy has is going to have the Exorcist. Ford should drop a Cobra Jet code named Archangel. LOL

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
I honestly think Hennessey see's itself as a vehicle manufacturer. Who gives a rats ass if a tuner shop can build a car that outperforms bone stock production vehicles. Isnt that the entire point of their existence? Too bad they dont have the balls or skills to challenge and outperform other shops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

not sure if serious?

the iron block GT500s are heavy ass turds that wont handle for shit.

When has that ever happened? Even heat soaked, it's still putting out more power than the Coyote. Depending on ambient temperature, a heat soaked GT500 probably loses between 50 and 100 HP. On a stock '12, that would mean it's still producing between 450 and 500 HP.

Anyways, the '12 GT500 SVTPP is faster around any track than the Boss 302 Laguna Seca. Look it up. Are you saying a GT Track Pack is faster around a track than the Boss 302 LS?

SVTPP possibly. A base gt500? no chance. Without all the extra coolers there is just too much fat to throw around all those turns without shitting itself.

Not sure why your avoiding the '13 and '14. Things changed huge with those cars and you seem to be avoiding it to try and strengthen your case. Which is very weak BTW

From somewhere on earth

Because stronger minds understand the 13/14 is a different league of car. Because a 2 year car hardly depicts the capabilities (or lack thereof) of the entire 07-14 run.

see how that works?

LOL at anyone thinking GT500s have good handling. Especially the iron block ones that have 57% of the weight over the front tires. That's worse than some pickup trucks.

x1000

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
How much do you think the '11/'12 GT500 weighs?? How light do you think the Mustang GT is?? You might want to look it up. You'll be surprised what you find. Your opinion of their handling doesn't change the fact that the '11/'12 GT500 SVTPP was/is faster than the Boss Laguna Seca around any track. And year-for-year, the GT500 handles better than run-of-the-mill Mustangs. You can disbelieve it all you want. That doesn't stop it from being a fact.

So, if you think the '07-'09 GT500 handles like a turd, what does that say for the '07 - '09 Mustang GT and V6? Keep in mind the '05 - '09 Mustang GT compared favorably against the M3 of the same years. It wasn't pretty while it was doing it, but it was still putting up the same kind of numbers.

C0bra99

Established Member
The gt350, sure. Al shelbys? Hell no.

My bone stock brembo pack 2014 mustang Gt would murder my 07 gt500 around a road course.

They're both the same chassis, same car other than the drivetrain really.

The 07-13 Shelbys were GT's (grand tourer) in my opinion.... definitely NOT road course inspired.
Seems you forget what you said earlier. If your gonna compare cars least you could do is pick the same year. The '14 GT500 would handle anything your GT could dish out. Your point is meaningless and actually quite bias to make your GT look better. You seem like the guy who picks a fight with the smallest person in the group and then brags about later.

From somewhere on earth

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Absolutely not. This is what happens when you inject yourself into a discussion without the tools necessary to play the game. Those tools being Reading Comprehension.

Truth is, my points are absolutely not meaningless. Having owned both--a 2014 GT and a 2007 GT500, i have real-world 1st hand experience with the topic at hand. You?

So there was this:

Despite not being confidence inspiring, the GT500 could/can still handle curves in stock form better than run-of-the-mill Mustangs. Anybody thinking Shelbys are supposed to be straight-line cars must be new to the game..

Which DOES NOT specifically mention the 13/14 car but, more importantly, generalizes the entire GT500 lineup.

So again, i think any reasonable person understands that the 13/14 car would own a GT around a track.

The more entertaining, worth-having discussion is what ive put forth in my comments (12 GT vs 12 GT500, or 14 GT vs 07 GT500).

Next time, take 3 seconds to read and fully understand what is being said.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

So there was this:

Not so fast, bud. You're probably the only person in the discussion that thinks comparing stock cars that are 7 years apart is valid. I even later specified year-for-year, and you persist in comparing a '14 GT to an '07 GT500. I even gave reasons why that's not a valid comparison; wheel/tire size, tire tech, remember that? Then I stated examples that show the '11/'12 GT500 to be faster than even the '12/'13 Boss 302 LS. Remember that?

Year-for-year, the GT500 handles better than run-of-the-mill Mustangs. Do you really think Ford would release a "top dog" Mustang that can't outperform the lower cars? You're just wrong, that's all. We all misspeak sometimes in defense of our stance. No biggie. Just accept the correction and go forward with the correct info.

so about that demon...

It's not out yet, so... No harm in deviating a little bit.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Motor Trend 2011 Best Drivers Car - Boss 302 LS - 1:41.06
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford...-laguna-seca-2011-best-drivers-car-contender/

Motor Trend 2012 Best Drivers Car - GT500 - 1:38.7
http://www.motortrend.com/news/niss...helby-gt500-2012-best-drivers-car-contenders/

Jalopnick and a few others have articles (and a video) showing the '11 GT500 lapping VIR in 2:58.48. Car & Driver has the Boss 302 LS lapping VIR in 3:02.8.

Those are the best times I could find for each car on the same respective tracks. Unfortunately, the M/T 2012 BDC is for the '13 GT500. They don't have a BDC video featuring the '11/'12. So just split the difference between the 302 LS and the '13 GT500 at Laguna Seca. There was never an abundance of instrumented tests of the '11/'12.

Users who are viewing this thread