Do I need an Oil separator??

jdant

Established Member
I have an 04 Cobra with a 2.9 Whipple making 625whp. I just bought this car a few weeks ago and it does not have an oil separator. Do I need one?? Do I need a breather? I see JLT offers a nice one for the driver and passenger side, but it will be $380 to do both sides.

jdant

Established Member
C0E086CE-B53A-4264-96F0-AE8560CDD05D.jpeg

Engine pic

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Was wondering the same. Sometimes I get a little smoke at start up, always thought it was due to pcv.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Was wondering the same. Sometimes I get a little smoke at start up, always thought it was due to pcv.

I would guess your smoke at start up is valve seals or valve guides, not PCV. On these cars the PCV oil collects in the bottom of the intake and usually doesn't have a smoke on start up effect.

As for running a catch can. It'll slow down the oil but it does not eliminate it. If you think the catch can is keeping your intercooler clean you're mistaken. I've tested this many times over the years on a variety of cars, types of engines, n/a, blower and turbo cars. It definitely slows down the process but catch cans do not entirely eliminate oil vapors passing through.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
I would guess your smoke at start up is valve seals or valve guides, not PCV. On these cars the PCV oil collects in the bottom of the intake and usually doesn't have a smoke on start up effect.

As for running a catch can. It'll slow down the oil but it does not eliminate it. If you think the catch can is keeping your intercooler clean you're mistaken. I've tested this many times over the years on a variety of cars, types of engines, n/a, blower and turbo cars. It definitely slows down the process but catch cans do not entirely eliminate oil vapors passing through.
Wasn't what I was wanting to hear, but good info. Thanks for the reply!

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
If you think the catch can is keeping your intercooler clean you're mistaken. I've tested this many times over the years on a variety of cars, types of engines, n/a, blower and turbo cars. It definitely slows down the process but catch cans do not entirely eliminate oil vapors passing through.

I agree with the above, however, anything I can keep out of my intake is a + in my book..
1st_A_P_2014_cruise_night_-_05-07-2014_003.jpg

30_day_build_update_pics_05-21-2014_009.jpg

Jeg_s_filter_on_the_17_F150_001.jpg

air-oil_separator_at_work_003.jpg

IllCobra

Established Member

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Thanks for this! Cheapest I've seen one go for. But why is it so far away rather than near the firewall like the others???

It's more effective when mounted farther away - all in detail in the link I posted. Mounting them close on the firewall is a cosmetic thing that came about probably due to how the kits were sold and where someone decided one just happened to fit. Tried it myself as well for a couple years and it did little to nothing.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
IMAG1188_zpsfxfekbpf.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG1188_zpsfxfekbpf.jpg
    IMAG1188_zpsfxfekbpf.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 223

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I was getting good puff of smoke on startup. Had car tuned and tuner suggested I was getting blowby past the oil catchcan, as I was running 25psi. We removed the air intake tube prior to starting tune and sure enough, there was small amount of oil in throttle body. The tune didn't completely fix the startup smoke, but it did get me to pass the State emissions test.

Sometime later the car started idling rough, so I started by cleaning the heck out of the MAF, and I ran fuel injector cleaner in the gas. My car has since been running wonderfully, and I no longer notice the smoke on startup.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
i have an Elite on my C6 and it works great. That is who I will be using for my can.

Dubbs, how did you mount yours? Having a tough time visualizing it.

I just used the regular hockey stick style bracket. Goes in front of valve cover, where an existing bolt already is. I did grind the hole in the bracket more so the separator would sit lower. I also used DEI heat sleeve around parts of the hose because it contacts the crossover tube.

IMAG1467_zpse70xfwl2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread