Do I need an Oil separator??

meliskyc

Established Member
I just used the regular hockey stick style bracket. Goes in front of valve cover, where an existing bolt already is. I did grind the hole in the bracket more so the separator would sit lower. I also used DEI heat sleeve around parts of the hose because it contacts the crossover tube.

That’s perfect. Thanks for sharing the photo. That’s probably a good mounting solution for me plus it’s far enough away to actually be effective. I’ll be sure to sleeve the hose as you said.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
A single can works for both sides. Looks like a bargain to me.

The one I have shown, which is billet aluminum, can be found on eBay all day long for around $50 - and a lot of guys have started buying them. That's a bargain, and you only need one. The passenger side valve cover is crankcase inlet, so adding a catch can or anything else gimmicky there is a waste of money.

Yet another tbread just started a few days back:

https://www.svtperformance.com/foru...o-run-catch-can-set-up.1149807/#post-15737169

Last edited:

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
What does it matter, catch cans are not car specific, only the mounting hardware/brackets might be. The PCV systems works the same way on anything. If I find something that saves enthusiasts some coin, that is one of many reasons why I would share it on my web site, and the billet separators that are all over eBay are the epitome of bang-for-the-buck.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
The one I have shown, which is billet aluminum, can be found on eBay all day long for around $50 - and a lot of guys have started buying them. That's a bargain, and you only need one. The passenger side valve cover is crankcase inlet, so adding a catch can or anything else gimmicky there is a waste of money.

Yet another tbread just started a few days back:

https://www.svtperformance.com/foru...o-run-catch-can-set-up.1149807/#post-15737169
I wonder if that separator would fit in the location shown if running a rai with a shield? It looks like it may not.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
The passenger side valve cover is crankcase inlet, so adding a catch can or anything else gimmicky there is a waste of money.

If you remove the PCV system the passenger's side valve cover is the only one that needs the catch can. Driver's side will catch nothing but moisture.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
If you remove the PCV system the passenger's side valve cover is the only one that needs the catch can. Driver's side will catch nothing but moisture.

I made no reference to removing any PCV components and see no reason to do so.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I made no reference to removing any PCV components and see no reason to do so.

You stated only the driver's side needed a catch can. I was just clarifying since a lot of people remove their PCV system and then look at putting catch cans on. When the PCV system is gone the passenger's side is the one that blows out oil only.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
You stated only the driver's side needed a catch can.

Yes I did, in reference to only the OE system, which is shown in the link I had posted. With all that in place, the only catch can needed is fit in between the PCV and intake.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
What does it matter, catch cans are not car specific, only the mounting hardware/brackets might be. The PCV systems works the same way on anything. If I find something that saves enthusiasts some coin, that is one of many reasons why I would share it on my web site, and the billet separators that are all over eBay are the epitome of bang-for-the-buck.

I was referring to other cars needing a can on each side.

Users who are viewing this thread