DIY'ers: what motor oil are you using?

scott_0

Established Member
anything other than Mobil 1 and your car will blow up! True.......saw it on TV!:lol1::kaboom:
you gotta drive the car for it to blow up :D I just had to, seeing how everyone is on you on the other board lol

2012GTCS

Established Member
Wow a lot of guys using 5w30. I wanted to change to 5w30 (actually ha it all purchased) and people on several forums were totally against it. I think out of 100 people I had 1 person agree. Here it seems much different. Something along the lines that it will mess up something with the timing and gears?!? Car is a basically stock 5.0...

Needless to say I'm running 5w20 Mobil 1 Extended Performance.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Wow a lot of guys using 5w30. I wanted to change to 5w30 (actually ha it all purchased) and people on several forums were totally against it. I think out of 100 people I had 1 person agree. Here it seems much different. Something along the lines that it will mess up something with the timing and gears?!? Car is a basically stock 5.0...

Needless to say I'm running 5w20 Mobil 1 Extended Performance.

using w20 is for mpg gain of 1mpg.... WASTE!!!! also you wont blow anything up using a different weight, but i would consult Unleashedbeast

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
RP 5w-30 with K&N filter here also. Run the same combo in the 5.0, the 2011 Explorer, and my Dad's 2010 Fusion.

saunupe1911

Established Member
5w20 Mobil 1 Extended Performance to help with the Texas heat. Seems to perform better than regular Mobil 1. Also switched back to stock air filter instead of the K&N after all of the performance tests rated the stock higher.

drewzx3

Established Member
Amsoil guys did yalls burn oil when running it? I used it once and mine burnt a couple of quarts since swapped bsck to motorcrsft syn blend and no problems.

ATFPat

Established Member
Wow, I was going to stay with the recommended 5-50w that's on the oil cap. So I can run 5-30 synthic with no issues?

AAG

Established Member
The Boss 302 and GT w/ track pack use 5w-50. I'd say use whatever you want between a 20 to 50 weight oil and not worry about it.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
According to the Ford Rep on ALLFORDMUSTANGS, there are no internal engine differences between the 2013 Track Pack requiring 5w-50 and the non-Track Pack requiring 5w-20 . . . only the "expected use," i.e. that the Track Pack car will be tracked.

This actually confirms the theory, at least for the 2013 non-track pack models, that using thicker oil than 5w-20 won't hurt anything. Afterall, there is no requirement to track your car when you have the Track Pack so, with everyday driving, it would be the same as the regular 2013 GT.

Now, whether you can apply that to the 2011-2012 models with the oil squirters is open to debate, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread