DIY'ers: what motor oil are you using?

REPCobra10

Established Member
I use Mobil 1 10W-30 full-synthetic down here in hot-ass South Florida. I love it in my '12 5.0 and I've loved it in my past high-performance Ford vehicles, as well; '03 Lightning and '04 Cobra:rockon:

ATFPat

Established Member
The Boss 302 and GT w/ track pack use 5w-50. I'd say use whatever you want between a 20 to 50 weight oil and not worry about it.

Would let me have more choices of oil brand etc. I can barely find 5-50w oil and Mobile 1 doesn't make the weight. :bored:

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
She's a customer service representative. When I hear it from a Ford engineer I might be inclined to believe it.

That's fair. But, let's face it, the question of oil viscosity, IMO, was always more about liability (i.e. whether Ford would use it to deny warranty) and less about whether the thicker oil actually hurt anything.

Her statement would make it harder for someone to get the warranty denied because they used 5w-20 in a 2013 Track Pack that wasn't tracked or for using 5w-50 in a non-Track Pack GT . . . or whether either used something in between.

All that said, do you really believe her statement was incorrect? Do you think that they developed different internal engine components for the Track Pack than the regular 2013 GT? The Track Pack upgrade price would not support that theory.

D.T.R

Established Member
5w20 Mobil 1 Extended Performance to help with the Texas heat. Seems to perform better than regular Mobil 1. Also switched back to stock air filter instead of the K&N after all of the performance tests rated the stock higher.

Got a link to this?
Did the stock filter get rater higher than the AFE filters as well ?

Turbo900rr

Established Member
Oh yeah, I'm running 10-30 and supercharged on e85. I want to be sure I have a sufficient amount of film strength for the load I'm putting on the motor.

32ValveSymphony

Established Member
Amsoil SS 10w30 with Amsoil filter per recommendations here on the forum. It doesn't use a drop and she's smooth as silk.

hand-filer

Established Member
That's fair. But, let's face it, the question of oil viscosity, IMO, was always more about liability (i.e. whether Ford would use it to deny warranty) and less about whether the thicker oil actually hurt anything.

Her statement would make it harder for someone to get the warranty denied because they used 5w-20 in a 2013 Track Pack that wasn't tracked or for using 5w-50 in a non-Track Pack GT . . . or whether either used something in between.

All that said, do you really believe her statement was incorrect? Do you think that they developed different internal engine components for the Track Pack than the regular 2013 GT? The Track Pack upgrade price would not support that theory.

I agree with your logic on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATFPat

Established Member
Bump, still waiting to see what anyone with that track pack runs. Going to call up the dealership to see what they use/recommend. Instead of that 5-50w stuff, may just run 5-30w mobile 1 and call it a day. It's the same engine as a reg. GT.

03dsgdreams

Established Member
You may want to ask unleashed beast that question. But from my understanding a wide viscosity oil I.e. 0-30 will break down faster and lose viscosity than a 10-30 or even 5-30.

Unleashed beast recommended the Amsoil signature series AZO 0w-30 for my 2012 GT based on the fact that i live in Michigan and drive my car year around. I have not noticed any ill effects, the engine actually is a little more quiet since i changed to the Amsoil. Is there any truth to the 0w-30 breaking down faster? What is a wide viscosity oil?

scotmach

Established Member
Bump, still waiting to see what anyone with that track pack runs. Going to call up the dealership to see what they use/recommend. Instead of that 5-50w stuff, may just run 5-30w mobile 1 and call it a day. It's the same engine as a reg. GT.
It's spelled Mobil 1.

ATFPat

Established Member
Oh good, though the company went out of business when nothing was coming up in the searches. :rollseyes

Users who are viewing this thread