DIY Projector retro...

keith89

Established Member
damn I'm not sure if my ballasts are working. I stopped using them for about a year and left them installed. I ended up using my halogens for that year.

keith89

Established Member
For some reason my ballasts decided to work today. I believe the double cutoff issue you're having is with the factory lense. I test fired it up without the lense on and it's a sharp single line. I just need to straighten them out.

btw for the hi beam wiring, does it matter which is positive and negative? I believe the wiring from my ballasts are blue and white.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
For some reason my ballasts decided to work today. I believe the double cutoff issue you're having is with the factory lense. I test fired it up without the lense on and it's a sharp single line. I just need to straighten them out.

btw for the hi beam wiring, does it matter which is positive and negative? I believe the wiring from my ballasts are blue and white.

As long as you get high beams at the right time then u are ok. One will have 12ish volts when you turn it on at the stalk and the other should be zero. This is by just checking one wire at a time with a voltmeter. I had red and black so i was ok.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
So you lock the stalk in position but the HI beams just flick on then off??? Can you post a pic of your HI beam wire/connector and the connector that hooks up to your original head light plug.

Couple things to check. Pull the HI beam connector and make sure that the 12ish volts going to it are constant when the HI's should be on. Make sure you have the pins going to the OE headlight plug pushed all the way in and properly locked into place.

keith89

Established Member
So you lock the stalk in position but the HI beams just flick on then off??? Can you post a pic of your HI beam wire/connector and the connector that hooks up to your original head light plug.

Couple things to check. Pull the HI beam connector and make sure that the 12ish volts going to it are constant when the HI's should be on. Make sure you have the pins going to the OE headlight plug pushed all the way in and properly locked into place.

I'll snap a picture later. When i lock the stalk in the hi beam position, the high's just flash for an instant. I do not think there is a constant 12 volts going through when the high's are on. I will have to double check. Maybe it's something with the HID guy ballasts. The connector on the ballast is much smaller than the one that came with the retrofit kit and the pins cannot be transferred.
I have a set from DDM on order anyway. They're probably going to take a while though. Hi beams aren't urgent as i rarely use them anyway. Are the pins for the high's on the DDM ballasts similar to the ones in the retrofit?

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
There should only be 2 things plugged into your ballasts, the bulb on one side and the power plug on the other. The power plug will either be an adapter that goes from the ballast to the stock headlight connector (one for each side) or a wiring harness that will only connect to one headlight connector but connects to both ballasts. The HI beam control connector is on a separate set of wires and will not be connected to the ballasts in any way.

If you have a HI/LO harness from anyone besides DDM I will need to see a photo to be sure you have it set up correctly but they should be the same in theory (as I described earlier) from any manufacturer.

keith89

Established Member
There should only be 2 things plugged into your ballasts, the bulb on one side and the power plug on the other. The power plug will either be an adapter that goes from the ballast to the stock headlight connector (one for each side) or a wiring harness that will only connect to one headlight connector but connects to both ballasts. The HI beam control connector is on a separate set of wires and will not be connected to the ballasts in any way.

If you have a HI/LO harness from anyone besides DDM I will need to see a photo to be sure you have it set up correctly but they should be the same in theory (as I described earlier) from any manufacturer.

Jay,
Here is the hi/lo harness from the HID guy ballasts. HID guy on the right, Female from retrofit kit on the left.
2012-03-25_14_01_05.jpg

Here is what my cutoff looks like. I still need to straighten them out. (note, this photo was taken during the day so they don't look very bright.)
2012-03-23_18_40_43.jpg

Lights off:
2012-03-25_14_14_12.jpg

Lights on(forgot to turn fogs on too). No more glare! :banana::
2012-03-25_14_14_31.jpg

Last edited:

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
I have no odea what that connector on the *left* is. You say it came with the retrofit kit, did you buy it from TRS along with the projectors???

So how do you like the projectors at nite so far??? What kelvin bulb did you go with???

keith89

Established Member
The connector came with the HID kit i gut from HID guy a few years ago. I used the HID's in the stock headlamp for a few months before i decided to go back to normal bulbs because of the glare. The ballasts and harnesses have been left installed in the car, unplugged.

I love the projectors. They look much better externally and are much more concentrated than the HID's with the stock reflector. I had 6000k's previously and left them in my fogs so i got 6000k's for the H1's in the retrofit. I'll take a night picture in the next few days.

TRBO VNM

Thinking about doing this as well. Probably just pick up a set of smoked lights from AM and use those. I had one of the plug and play HID kits at one time but it was horrible at night. the light was brighter but it was all over the damn place. I put silverstars in and visibility was awesome. But really want true HID's.

Z06KILLR

Established Member
Anyone attempt more of these? How did they turn out? Pics?

I like the look of the projector..it gives the car "eyes"

The double/fake ones are rice-tastic though.

If someone has this down id be willing to pay for a set.

Users who are viewing this thread