Distilled water instant of coolant?

SVT_S5

Established Member
I live in a hot climate during summer (104-120F), never freezes in winter.

Can I run straight distilled water in intercooler and radiator instead of coolant, with water wetter of course.

Thanks guys!

olympic

Established Member
Coolant protects from corrosion and also raises the boiling point. You should run at least 30% coolant.

SVT_S5

Established Member
Understood.

Regarding the Intercooler, do I use 50/50
-70/30 on there also, or just running on distilled water and ww would be OK somehow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Id go with a higher water/coolant ratio. LIke 70 water/30 coolant as mentioned.

There are redeeming qualities in coolant, but more water in the hotter climates is what I run also.

IllCobra

Established Member
Based on where you live, you can run more water than coolant without issue. I live in FL and run a 70/30 mix plus a bottle of water wetter. I have heard running 100% water and a bottle water wetter would cool even better than 100% water alone. I just haven't dug any deeper to on how well WW does for lubrication and corrosion protection.

And if you're worried about keeping the cooling system happy, just do yearly coolant flushes. That will keep your system from becoming acidic.

SVT_S5

Established Member
Based on where you live, you can run more water than coolant without issue. I live in FL and run a 70/30 mix plus a bottle of water wetter. I have heard running 100% water and a bottle water wetter would cool even better than 100% water alone. I just haven't dug any deeper to on how well WW does for lubrication and corrosion protection.

And if you're worried about keeping the cooling system happy, just do yearly coolant flushes. That will keep your system from becoming acidic.

That’s what I was planning on doing, but got scared of the idea after what I’ve been told on this thread.

My plan was straight distilled water and 34oz of ww/ams coolant boost in radiator.

IllCobra

Established Member
This. Distilled H2O will eat your cooling system. Trust me, I'm a chemist.
I thought an acidic build up comes from the chemicals in the coolant? So wouldn't more water be better to prolong that build up? I figured a 70/30 mix of water to coolant would be a good mixture to run for someone that doesn't live in a state that has freezing temps. Or would the 30% of coolant not be enough to prevent corrosion?

IllCobra

Established Member
That’s what I was planning on doing, but got scared of the idea after what I’ve been told on this thread.

My plan was straight distilled water and 34oz of ww/ams coolant boost in radiator.

Heck, 34oz of WW might be too much. They claim a 12oz bottle will work for a 3-5 gallon system. If I am remembering right, our cars hold 4 gallons.... I would call someone from product support to see if there are any negative effects to running 3x more WW in your system

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

Unless you’re racing there’s no reason not to run a proper anti-freeze mix. A quality coolant will perform exactly as you need.

I thought an acidic build up comes from the chemicals in the coolant? So wouldn't more water be better to prolong that build up? I figured a 70/30 mix of water to coolant would be a good mixture to run for someone that doesn't live in a state that has freezing temps. Or would the 30% of coolant not be enough to prevent corrosion?

Without getting into a conversation about valence shell electron repulsion theory and ionic transfer, let me just advise you to run a proper coolant. There’s no reason not to in anything but a race car.

SVT_S5

Established Member
Yeah I’m not running straight distilled water, will use 30/70 and be done with it.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Yeah I’m not running straight distilled water, will use 30/70 and be done with it.

There’s no practical advantage to running 30/70 (other than being cheap) over 50/50 but there are plenty of potential downsides.

SVT_S5

Established Member
There’s no practical advantage to running 30/70 (other than being cheap) over 50/50 but there are plenty of potential downsides.

Thought more water would cool better?!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Unless you’re racing there’s no reason not to run a proper anti-freeze mix. A quality coolant will perform exactly as you need.

Without getting into a conversation about valence shell electron repulsion theory and ionic transfer, let me just advise you to run a proper coolant. There’s no reason not to in anything but a race car.
On the race car theme straight water with water wetter and a sacrificial anode in the radiator (usually aluminum with a threaded bung or the drain) helps plus yearly flushes (reminds me I still need to this season).
-J

Users who are viewing this thread