Diminished value settlement

SHOdown220

Established Member
Anybody dealt with a diminished value settlement from the insurance company?

Long story short wife was sideswiped in her 2020 pilot on Christmas Eve by a hit and run driver. We found the guy, he was in a company truck that thankfully was insured. 2.5 months later the car is repaired and we are talking diminished value. Car had 18k in damage, no airbag deployment, bumper, fender, hood, both doors, rear bumper quarter panel, both headlights etc. basically part of the front and the entire side of the car replaced.

His company insurance has paid for the repairs obviously, 2.5 months rental car, new car seats for the kids, and offered us $3,000 diminished value check. Said it’s non negotiable, take it or leave it.

So, take the check or lawyer up and try to negotiate? My gut is we are tired of dealing with all this and just want it to be over. We also considered asking the company the guy (used to) work for, for compensation but really it’s not their fault.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
$3k is pretty solid for them to come to the table with.

I'd take it.

Diminished value is so hard to judge. If you press too hard, they could bring up the pre-owned market being so crazy, and that check might go backwards on you.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
I know in Virginia on four totally different experiences. The company that owns the truck holds the liability for repairs. Even if the truck was stolen.

SHOdown220

Established Member

I'd take it.

Diminished value is so hard to judge. If you press too hard, they could bring up the pre-owned market being so crazy, and that check might go backwards on you.
Thanks Nick I was hoping you would chime in. They did bring up the used car market when we discussing if it would be totaled but the market value they told us was already higher than what we paid for it back in September.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks Nick I was hoping you would chime in. They did bring up the used car market when we discussing if it would be totaled but the market value they told us was already higher than what we paid for it back in September.

I would take the money and run.

What will happen is, they will provide market data that either backs the $3,000 offer they gave you, or realize that the diminished value based on your ownership is almost non-existent.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Yea take it. My father was in a court battle for years over a diminished value claim. He won, and got a little bit higher but that was like 2 years after the accident.

They didn't offer anything at first fwiw.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member

I'd take it.

Not even knowing the law on this kind of thing or precedence, this is exactly what came to mind as I was reading the original post.

If you buy an EV you won’t suffer through high gas prices. - Peter Buttplug

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Smart move! And, you'll be done with it. Had you decided to take a chance at getting a higher amount for diminished value, you'd likely be talking 2+ months more dealing with the insurance company. Sounded like that's not really something you wanted to have to do. At least you know that the $3000 payment is a very decent settlement.

Adower

Established Member
I'd take it. From everything I read its rare to even get a diminished value check from an insurance company.

Cobra1776

Established Member
Take it, I deal with DOV on occasion. 3k right off the bat isn’t bad at all. If injuries occurred and you repped up with an attorney who will represent for injury AND pd, they may get you a little more. Not worth it imo.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Take it, I deal with DOV on occasion. 3k right off the bat isn’t bad at all. If injuries occurred and you repped up with an attorney who will represent for injury AND pd, they may get you a little more. Not worth it imo.

Thankfully no injuries, he crossed the center line and my wife swerved enough to prevent a head on collision but he still got the whole side of the car. We are very lucky it could have been much worse.

Cobra1776

Established Member
Thankfully no injuries, he crossed the center line and my wife swerved enough to prevent a head on collision but he still got the whole side of the car. We are very lucky it could have been much worse.
That’s the best news my man… take it and move on.. I’m glad she is ok!

Users who are viewing this thread