Diggin' the new MRT Hood Struts

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
I'm wondering, when you close the hood, do you have to press it closed? If so, there is NO way I can use these on my car. If you can get a little drop, I might be able to use it.

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
Looks great... and its nice to be able to open the hood while still holding your beer. :-D

Kevin the Clean 1 said:
Looks great. I have the Redline Tuning kit & love it...:beer:
+1. People that are scared of rivets are funny.

Cobra10th Anniv

Established Member
SVTStrikesBack said:
I'm wondering, when you close the hood, do you have to press it closed? If so, there is NO way I can use these on my car. If you can get a little drop, I might be able to use it.

Yes, you can definately use gravity to do the closing of the hood.

Having use of your other hand for a beer is a very nice feature as well. I especially like not having to worry about the prop being knocked over by my "bull in the china closet" style. :beer:

Will make cooling her off at the track much easier this year... Can't wait.

David

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
SVT04 said:
Bulky ! :lol: :lol: Redline tuning are way longer and will get in the way occasionally when you are working on something from the side of the car reaching into the engine bay...I know from personal experience having wrenched on a car equipped with them. As well the Redlines require drilling and rivets into the fiberglass of the hood. I didn't like that.

The CDC and MRT are short ,compact don't take up much space require no drilling or riveting and fit really nice. As well as working great. :burnout:
They have never gotten in the way of anything for me and I personally like the polished stainless steel better as well.

The brackets are bulky and look like SHIT!!!! :xpl: And WOW rivets are really hard to install and are really going to devalue the car. :rolleyes: :kaboom: :loser:

Red Shift

2.6 + 4.6=GAWDAMN!!
Established Member
Are these the guys that go to WFC every year and install them for you(at the race anyway)? When I go I may get a set

SVT04

Established Member
04sleeper said:
They have never gotten in the way of anything for me and I personally like the polished stainless steel better as well.

The brackets are bulky and look like SHIT!!!! :xpl: And WOW rivets are really hard to install and are really going to devalue the car. :rolleyes: :kaboom: :loser:

The brackets look fine ,compact and look like they belong there. Rivets are not hard to install ,but when riveting to plastic or fiberglass it is best to be able to put a backup washer on the backside of the rivet to allow it to spread out the load and prevent it pulling out...were you able to do that on your Redline kit ? I don't think so.

If Ford had put the hood struts on from the factory I can assure you they would have used a design something like the CDC ( the original ) or MRT (the copy) :burnout:

Sorry you bought a substandard kit ...good that you like it though

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
SVT04 said:
The brackets look fine ,compact and look like they belong there. Rivets are not hard to install ,but when riveting to plastic or fiberglass it is best to be able to put a backup washer on the backside of the rivet to allow it to spread out the load and prevent it pulling out...were you able to do that on your Redline kit ? I don't think so.

If Ford had put the hood struts on from the factory I can assure you they would have used a design something like the CDC ( the original ) or MRT (the copy) :burnout:

Sorry you bought a substandard kit ...good that you like it though

Substandard in comparison to the CDC? :shrug:

01cobra2020

Established Member
I just got a set and for the life of me can't get the fender bolt on either side to thread with the bracket on there. Without the bracket they thread but they're still a pain in the ass. Did you have any problems with this?

SVT04

Established Member
01cobra2020 said:
I just got a set and for the life of me can't get the fender bolt on either side to thread with the bracket on there. Without the bracket they thread but they're still a pain in the ass. Did you have any problems with this?

Some guys have said that they had to get longer bolts, mine worked fine with the stock fender bolts.

SVT04

Established Member
grimreefer said:
Looks great... and its nice to be able to open the hood while still holding your beer. :-D

+1. People that are scared of rivets are funny.

No one is afraid of rivets ! It is just a matter of what works properly and what doesn't...
Rivets are not hard to install ,but when riveting to plastic or fiberglass it is best to be able to put a backup washer on the backside of the rivet to allow it to spread out the load and prevent it pulling out...are you able to do that on the Redline kit ? I don't think so.

Cobra10th Anniv

Established Member
SVT04 said:
Some guys have said that they had to get longer bolts, mine worked fine with the stock fender bolts.

Yes I did, but here's how I got it to work w/o different bolts.

1. Re-thread the original bolt w/o the mounting bracket and make sure you tighten all the way.

2. Then loosen and take out the bolt (keeping the hardware underneath the bolt in place by hand)

3. Drop the mounting bracket on top of the hole and start threading the bolt by hand.

4. Once it catches you should then be able to completely tighten with socket wrench.

That worked for me. Good luck.

David

Cobra10th Anniv

Established Member
SVT04 said:
No one is afraid of rivets ! It is just a matter of what works properly and what doesn't...
Rivets are not hard to install ,but when riveting to plastic or fiberglass it is best to be able to put a backup washer on the backside of the rivet to allow it to spread out the load and prevent it pulling out...are you able to do that on the Redline kit ? I don't think so.

X2

Why would I revert back to an 8th grade metal shop technique when I can mount this product using the original hardware? :shrug: Oh, and what he said above as well...

Not a flame, just common sense. :beer:

David

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
My "substandard" Redline mounts are just as tight as the day I installed them. The composite material the hoods are made of are better than most give credit to. Properly installed there are no worries. While putting a backing washer on isn't a bad idea... it's hardly necessary. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread