Diesel dyno carnage

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Did it blow the block apart? In that one photo you can see half of the thermostat housing...

3000rwhp and how much torque?!?

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
Those clutches look fine.

Pff. Typical Dodge transmission. Can't even hold 3000hp.

Yep, splits above the crank.

When the Cummins B's let go due to boost they tend to split across the block through the cam journal. There was that one guy at Bandimere I think it was that had his throttle and/or bottle stick open and split it that way too. It's crazy to see, especially with this one the top half of the engine in the air with the accessories all still bolted up.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
That is just brutal. I assume this is on a stock block and not one of those billet pieces(i can see some brown so i assume thats rust on the block face).

Not sure if this is the same setup he had on the dyno but saw this video talking about the internals. He called it a Hamilton solid block, not sure if that’s billet or just a filled factory block. What surprised me is he said that it’s still using a factory crank! Had no idea they could hold that kinda power. (Well I guess it didn’t.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
Not sure if this is the same setup he had on the dyno but saw this video talking about the internals. He called it a Hamilton solid block, not sure if that’s billet or just a filled factory block. What surprised me is he said that it’s still using a factory crank! Had no idea they could hold that kinda power. (Well I guess it didn’t.)

Hamilton created a new block based on the factory casting that is supposed to be 30% stronger. Problem is they’re still pushing them too hard. At this power level billet is the only way to go. You already have to pull a ton of timing to keep it from spitting the bottom end out at low rpms, otherwise you’d have stupid torque...probably 5000 ft/lbs and they just can’t handle it. The factory blocks check out around 1400rwhp/2000rwtq iirc.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Hamilton created a new block based on the factory casting that is supposed to be 30% stronger. Problem is they’re still pushing them too hard. At this power level billet is the only way to go. You already have to pull a ton of timing to keep it from spitting the bottom end out at low rpms, otherwise you’d have stupid torque...probably 5000 ft/lbs and they just can’t handle it. The factory blocks check out around 1400rwhp/2000rwtq iirc.

I see. I wonder how much money was into that build to not use a billet block and crank. Is there someone who makes billet blocks for these setups? What kind of torque did it make putting down 2900+ hp?

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
See what happens when you dont mask up?!

5b7d46001bd013a6e7cc0cebda52611a.jpg

POW! Right in the kisser!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
I see. I wonder how much money was into that build to not use a billet block and crank. Is there someone who makes billet blocks for these setups? What kind of torque did it make putting down 2900+ hp?

I know D&J in cooperation with Firepunk did a billet block that is currently in their S10. There was another company that had made several I believe but I don’t believe the market is there for a full on run, or either the cost is prohibitive.

Biggest thing is pulling back on the timing down low to keep the cylinder pressure down until sufficient rpm is achieved. I believe Firepunk made something along the lines of 3200hp and similar torque. They have several dyno videos and quite a few videos of the setup as a whole that are very informative.

Users who are viewing this thread