Diablosport Intune

01turbowolf

ford tech
Established Member
funny thing about the IDS. ford has access codes to look deep into any module through IDS. you send hotline a request, they send you a code, you send back information retrieved with said code that looks nothing like normal IDS screens, just a lot of lines with random characters as far as i know. i had to perform this once a couple years ago. so to say they are not able to see anything more than what we know is foolish, just my opinion.

whatwhine

Established Member
^ and right when I'm sold, a ford tech steps in and says some more stuff I don't understand. :( I'll wait. Put the money towards wheels or my drop supplies as well

ViciousJay

Established Member
^ and right when I'm sold, a ford tech steps in and says some more stuff I don't understand. :( I'll wait. Put the money towards wheels or my drop supplies as well

Take it with a grain of salt, I'd like to hear from a few other techs

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Sounds like he's talking about the same thing I was, Mode 9 CVN data. Not a clue if intune can get around it.

Shaun@AED

Sounds like he's talking about the same thing I was, Mode 9 CVN data. Not a clue if intune can get around it.

In lamens terms:
Checksum verification.
Checksums change with every tune modification. Modify the tune, checksum changes and as far as I know the ECU records the different checksums.

If this is correct, Ford can access this info via IDS and non-dealer access. From there it's as simple as verifying the date a checksum was recorded was NOT when the car was reprogrammed at a dealer.

Last edited:

Shaun@AED

Well what if it's tuned early in its life? Like 7k miles? Will the key counts and checksum work out if I need warranty work at 25k?

As far as I know Checksums recorded are not erased with time/mileage.

Best advise I can give for anyone that needs warranty work:

1. Verify the work necessary is NOT related to any modifications to the vehicle.
2. Contact your Service Writer (best to contact the head of the department) and let them know the vehicle is modified, but that the warranty work required has nothing to do with the modifications. Verify they will work with you BEFORE bring the vehicle in for work.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
That is correct, as does SCT.

The ECU records and saves the changed checksum from when the vehicle was tuned. Returning to stock, performing a KAM reset, disconnecting the battery for a month, etc, does not erase the saved checksums.

When digging into the ECU Ford will find 3 checksums saved.
Stock
'tuned'
Stock again
Sooooo....

Cliffs:

No matter what, Ford will still be able to see you changed something, correct, Shaun?

devildog1679

Established Member
That is correct, as does SCT.

The ECU records and saves the changed checksum from when the vehicle was tuned. Returning to stock, performing a KAM reset, disconnecting the battery for a month, etc, does not erase the saved checksums.

When digging into the ECU Ford will find 3 checksums saved.
Stock
'tuned'
Stock again

'm trying to follow all this but I'm not a tuner so you lost me on a few things. So if I read the above correctly, Ford will still be able to tell a car was tuned even when using the Intune? Personally I may pull the trigger regardles.

Shaun@AED

'm trying to follow all this but I'm not a tuner so you lost me on a few things. So if I read the above correctly, Ford will still be able to tell a car was tuned even when using the Intune? Personally I may pull the trigger regardles.

Yep!

Modify / Tune at your own risk.

Ford gave us an EXCELLENT vehicle IMO. However, if I broke a stock axle at the track, I would not even bother trying to get an axle replaced under warranty. My fault for slapping on the slicks and racing it. Same goes for the stock clutch, trans, engine, etc. It's my car and my responsibility to maintain / fix it if what I've modified (or my driving stye / Racing) contributes to parts failure.

Now, if my radio stops working....I'll probably take it in for repair. :lol:

ViciousJay

Established Member
Yep!

Modify / Tune at your own risk.

Ford gave us an EXCELLENT vehicle IMO. However, if I broke a stock axle at the track, I would not even bother trying to get an axle replaced under warranty. My fault for slapping on the slicks and racing it. Same goes for the stock clutch, trans, engine, etc. It's my car and my responsibility to maintain / fix it if what I've modified (or my driving stye / Racing) contributes to parts failure.

Now, if my radio stops working....I'll probably take it in for repair. :lol:

watch them blame a tune on something like that :lol1:

Diablo Mike

Trinity Guy
Authorized Vendor
I just did a read of all available mode 6 and mode 9 data, and there is waaay to much misinformation in this thread :)

The PCM is not keeping a list of CVNs. The CVN does change when a tune is loaded, but it goes back to the stock value when the backup is restored (using one of our tools). Again, if you flash the vehicle back to stock, there is NOTHING for the dealer, or anyone else, to see.
There is no list of CVNs as someone mentioned earlier.

Key counts do not change either, so again, there is NO way for anyone to detect one of our tunes having been installed once restored back to stock.

Users who are viewing this thread