Dez vs PerformanceDyno

SVTmystic290

Established Member
Well now that I have an 04 cobra obviously the next step is modification. Thinking small to begin with (pullies, headers/mid pipe, TB, tune, etc.) I will be doing almost all mods myself but I have no dyno or tuning knowledge so that is the part I would have to hand over the keys to another shop. I am considering Dez racing and PerformanceDyno. I have heard good stories about both but as this is a very important step in modifying my vehicle I want to make sure I make the right choice.

What Id like to hear is some experiences with both and who is more prefered by the local mustang owners. Hopefully some of you have some good input and will help me with my decision!

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Both are amazing shops and can do the job you are looking for.

Dez built my 05 while I was deployed and the motor has been bullet proof. I trust him and his tech very much. Taught me a lot when I lived up there too.

My advice is to call both or check out their shops in person. Best was to see which way you want to go.

My2003Mach1

Established Member
Hey SVTmystic290

Here ~>>> is my Experience with DEZ Racing ( in a nut shell they blew my engine on the dyno, they filled my mach 1 interior with my car parts , bastardize my Mach 1 by taking my car apart and LOSING all the hardware (what a damn nightmare to go through fords parts department to get all the correct nuts bolts and misc parts and sensors.... It cost me nearly $4,500 in labor having Performance Dyno piece my Mach 1 back together inch by inch WHICH they did an AWESOME job!!)

Three things about Dez Racing other wise......
Their Shop is a MESS!! no room to store your parts, no room to store your mustang inside while its apart or being worked on.
Lastly they ALWAYS give you one price and ALWAYS have and inflated price when paying. The wait is absurd to get anything done. whether its dynoing or its work done on your car (except a simple bolt on) the wait is unacceptable.

I been going to Performance Dyno and the shop is CLEAN! they have extra bays to store your car , mine was there for months!! and no charge! (only reason it was there months is because of DEZ racing)

The pricing was VERY fair and practical and they are professional and knowledgeable..

Dez racing is known for blowing engines... Just recently they blew up ( Steves Saleen Mustang)

You'll see no one will tell you any horror stories about Performance Dyno...

But this link http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/new-england-158/755357-its-been-while-mike-dez-bolt-jockey.html

Has my story and a few others.....

I will continue to give them a bad reference until they own up to the responsibility and offer to pay for part of my damages ( they never will so i will always offer up the truth)

In the end good luck!

streetone01

SVT
Established Member
Hey SVTmystic290

Here ~>>> is my Experience with DEZ Racing ( in a nut shell they blew my engine on the dyno, they filled my mach 1 interior with my car parts , bastardize my Mach 1 by taking my car apart and LOSING all the hardware (what a damn nightmare to go through fords parts department to get all the correct nuts bolts and misc parts and sensors.... It cost me nearly $4,500 in labor having Performance Dyno piece my Mach 1 back together inch by inch WHICH they did an AWESOME job!!)

Three things about Dez Racing other wise......
Their Shop is a MESS!! no room to store your parts, no room to store your mustang inside while its apart or being worked on.
Lastly they ALWAYS give you one price and ALWAYS have and inflated price when paying. The wait is absurd to get anything done. whether its dynoing or its work done on your car (except a simple bolt on) the wait is unacceptable.

I been going to Performance Dyno and the shop is CLEAN! they have extra bays to store your car , mine was there for months!! and no charge! (only reason it was there months is because of DEZ racing)

The pricing was VERY fair and practical and they are professional and knowledgeable..

Dez racing is known for blowing engines... Just recently they blew up ( Steves Saleen Mustang)

You'll see no one will tell you any horror stories about Performance Dyno...

But this link http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/new-england-158/755357-its-been-while-mike-dez-bolt-jockey.html

Has my story and a few others.....

I will continue to give them a bad reference until they own up to the responsibility and offer to pay for part of my damages ( they never will so i will always offer up the truth)

In the end good luck!

ouch sounds like a nightmare, I have used dez, before i did my own tuning, I never had an issue and I KNOW he is a knowledgeable tuner. I have also never heard of him having a REP for blowing engines. I know a lot of people who have used him. I agree his shop is a mess, I hate that as well. Blowing up a car on the dyno does happen once in a while, especially when your tuning hundred and hundreds of cars. Cars blowing on the dyno is not always the tuners fault. It sucks for the shop when a guys motor blows on the dyno and the owner who has no idea why it blew starts flaming the shop online. I believe the car your speaking of makes 800+ at the wheels, cant blame that blowing on the tuner unless you KNOW for sure it was his fault.

My2003Mach1

Established Member
ouch sounds like a nightmare, I have used dez, before i did my own tuning, I never had an issue and I KNOW he is a knowledgeable tuner. I have also never heard of him having a REP for blowing engines. I know a lot of people who have used him. I agree his shop is a mess, I hate that as well. Blowing up a car on the dyno does happen once in a while, especially when your tuning hundred and hundreds of cars. Cars blowing on the dyno is not always the tuners fault. It sucks for the shop when a guys motor blows on the dyno and the owner who has no idea why it blew starts flaming the shop online. I believe the car your speaking of makes 800+ at the wheels, cant blame that blowing on the tuner unless you KNOW for sure it was his fault.

Well DEZ built Steve's engine from what i was told... Reliable source told me that the heads separated from the block...

But i agree it could been builder error, or customers error there (possible cutting a corner) no head studs, Or use of sub par head gaskets. I did hear that "Steve" called Pete at performance dyno looking for Petes help getting it fixed and re-tuned.

You know as far as the tuning and work done on my car ( though simple mods at the time) things went well I spent THOUSANDS at dez...
so something seriously went wrong for me to never return.

IMHO Performance dyno all pros (no blown engines) clean shop, one on one service.. there are no two mustangs alike in tuning and Pete treats each customer and their car per case basis..

Dez racing well only pro is hes got good knowledge but it has gone to his head in a sense as he really loads up his plate working on too many cars at the same time.
There are way to many cons for me, in fact i didnt mind paying the higher prices at Dez but here once again the quality isn't there to support the higher price...

Pete did such an awesome job when i was just there in May, that i offered to pay him more money then what he charged me ... He turn it down... guys got character....

SVTmystic290 just try take into account everyone's experience ... maybe you might do great at dez racing....

mooch29

Low n' Slow
Established Member
Not against anyone here as this could easily turn into a huge debate thread, but I know many people who have had a great experience with Pete and Performance Dyno.

SonicBlur2003

U.S.C.G.
Established Member
I have gotten my car tuned twice by Pete at Performance Dyno. He is very knowledgeable about our cars and has done everything that he could to help out. I have nothing but good things to say about his shop. In the end it is going to be your choice.

LILBLKSNAKE

Village Idiot
Established Member
Pete did both of my cars and also does pretty much all of the NH Mustang Club. I've been using him since 2004 and never had anything but great experiences.
I'm actually going to Performance Dyno for my Nitrous tune in a couple weeks

DirtaySr

Private Sector Sucker
Established Member
Nothing but postive comments for Performance Dyno!

Great shop, great service, Pete is great to work with.

Blackedout

Established Member
I know of quite a few in my area and mine included that have taken thier stangs to Performance Dyno with Great customer service... :beer:

Jibber

Kevin
Established Member
Pete told me that he bought a cobra to master his craft w/ them. He showed me his files and has done over 200 03-04 Cobra tunes. Each car is different as someone said and he takes the time to get it done right.

I have never been to Dez's so I cannot comment on their service.

Mystic1199

Established Member
I went to Pete for the first time last month and was very happy shop was clean only needed 3 pulls to get my car tuned ...explained some other things to me that will help my car i was happy

went to Dez 10 years ago and wasnt to happy so i just never went back ..maybe he got better but for the 03-04s everyone said pete was the go to guy ..

SVTmystic290

Established Member
Well I really appreciate all the input guys, its def going to help me make my choice. It seems like Performace is the way to go even though I was leaning towards Dez. I will most likely check out both shops before I make the decision. Does anyone know if the pricing between the two shops is comparable or is one way higher than the others? I saw that My2003Mach1, you said you were willing to pay the higher prices at Dez but is it a huge difference? Thanks again everyone :rockon:

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
another thing to keep in mind is relationship and distance

Performance Dyno is in Loudon, NH......depending on whre you are located that's a haul

Dez for me is just not worth the time to even look at when Performance dyno is less than an hour from my house

You are also goign to want to consider long term...meaning buld a relationship with someone who will entually get to learn about you and your car.

Overall, I would lean towards Performance dyno for a variety of reasons...but the choice is ultimately yours.

brys00gt

Established Member
If you are referring to Steve Leppo's saleen cobra, it was just at Dez again going for the 1000 hp mark. So I dont think Steve has any issues with DEZ.
My car is back at DEZ getting tuned after my engine was built, heads and cams and V2. Mike has always been awesome to me. He got my carrunning perfect for break in and is now doing the same for the final tune. I do agree that the shop is a mess and the wait is long. I waited 3 weeks to get this tune. I have no experience with Performance dyno, so I can not speak about them.
I think it is all preference. Call and or visit both shops and see what YOU think. As stated build a relationship and tell him what your goals are.

jgriff18

Established Member
DEZ never returned my call like the said they would and performance dyno never answered the phone so i went to TITS (total induction tuning solutions) hes pretty well known with the lightning guys and he did a great job. he did an extra pull just for me to record it lol.

My2003Mach1

Established Member
Well I really appreciate all the input guys, its def going to help me make my choice. It seems like Performace is the way to go even though I was leaning towards Dez. I will most likely check out both shops before I make the decision. Does anyone know if the pricing between the two shops is comparable or is one way higher than the others? I saw that My2003Mach1, you said you were willing to pay the higher prices at Dez but is it a huge difference? Thanks again everyone :rockon:

Dez Racing was way higher priced. At the time I didn't mind because I trusted his work.
After blowing my engine and talking to people like f2hatch here on SVT
About my car consitanly needed retunes, f2hatch suggested I try someone else because something wasn't right.
That's when I should have listened :)
1 engine later lol. And boat loads of money saved, while getting quality work done at performance Dyno at 1/2 the price. I'm a very proud mustang owner and supporter of performance Dyno

willis414

Established Member
Performance dyno tuned my 2.9 cobra, Pete did a great job very stress free. I did a lot of research to find the right place and I think I made the right choice. I'll be going back soon for an e85 tune.
So.... I'd say Performance Dyno

Johnny03

Johnny
Established Member
I have been going to Performance Dyno for years. Pete is a great guy and knows these cars. He is very careful when he tunes your car and any issues that arise, he takes the time to try to fix them. Very reasonable with his prices, shop is very clean and he is easy to get a hold of. If you leave him a message, he will get back to you within 24 hours as he owns an electrical business and his dyno shop is his 2nd business.

Users who are viewing this thread