Detailing the Cobra... 56K=NO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TL95SVT

Clean & Simple!
Established Member
the broken motor mount bolt, was it the front or back bolt and on which side. i had the same problem except both front ones broke on me. took it to the machine shop, so i am building up a new block. i know how pissed i was and i too tried like 30 different bits, snapped about 2 easy outs.

Back passenger side... Everytime i would get on it just a little, the whole engine would shake and feel like it was gonna fall out lol.

The previous owner broke an easy out in the bolt! I finally had some luck with a 5/8 mason bit. that worked well, but i couldnt find a helicoil to work with it.

Can you imagine what my FIRST purchase was for the new engine? ARP Motor Mount Bolts!!!! :D

Last edited:

TL95SVT

Clean & Simple!
Established Member
Few more parts done:

Radiator Support Brackets - Painted Cleared
Cobra19.jpg

Custom Ground Wires i Made
Cobra20.jpg

Once again, camera does aluminum parts no just with the glare....

Complete Aluminum Pulley Set
Cobra29.jpg

And last but not least my calipers.....

Smoothed, Painted and Clearanced to Fit Skinnies
cobra59.jpg

They are Brembo inspired Gold with Red Letters. I am sorry if you do not like them, but i refuse to be one of the other 27,000 mustangs with red calipers. I would rather have mine look hideous and different, than red and the same as everyone else.

I will eventually do the rears the same gold/black when i tear the rear end apart.

I am currently assembling the engine, degreeing the cam, ect... Still got 1 or 2 more things to paint, but thats about it!

Last edited:

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I absolutely can not wait to see this thing back together.

How difficult was it to take the alternator casing off? Anyone know if this is the same alternator that comes on a 4.6?

-Edit- Calipers look great, btw!

Last edited:

TL95SVT

Clean & Simple!
Established Member
I absolutely can not wait to see this thing back together.

How difficult was it to take the alternator casing off? Anyone know if this is the same alternator that comes on a 4.6?

-Edit- Calipers look great, btw!

Not hard, just be careful not to damage the bearings or any electronics. Just take out the 4 little bolts that hold the electronics on, then the 3 bolts that hold the front and back casing together and just pull it apart. If your worried about it, goto a junkyard and buy one for $8 and take it part, if you screw anything up you dont have to worry about it.

Not sure if they are the same... they look the same, but im not sure about the connections and mounting.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I think the gold/red calipers look great!
When i did mine I almost did the gold/red Brembo look.

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
And last but not least my calipers.....

Smoothed, Painted and Clearanced to Fit Skinnies

They are Brembo inspired Gold with Red Letters. I am sorry if you do not like them, but i refuse to be one of the other 27,000 mustangs with red calipers. I would rather have mine look hideous and different, than red and the same as everyone else.

Those look eff'n HOT! Care to you share what brand and exact color you used to paint them (process)?

TL95SVT

Clean & Simple!
Established Member
Those look eff'n HOT! Care to you share what brand and exact color you used to paint them (process)?

1. Remove Calipers
2. Remove Brake Line, Plug Hole
3. Use a Fine Wire Wheel to Remove Dirt and Get in Between the Fins
4. Smooth them out using a grinder, to clearance them i just removed alot of the material above the cobra letters.
5. Take Pistons Out
6. Tape of everything that you dont want paint on
7. Use degreaser to get all the extra oil, brake fluid, dust, ect off
8. Use 500 Degree Duplicolor Universal Gold Engine Paint, i did 3 coats.
9. Use 500 Degree Duplicolor Red Engine Paint to hand Paint Letters, i did 3 coats
10. Install new seals, and dust boots.

Remember, prep is key. I spent alot of time grinding to make everything smooth and all the corners rounded. Paint cant cover up everything... lol.

Last edited:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
You didn't clear coat them? Mine have been cleared for 3 years, no yellowing yet.
I used the Duplicolor 500* clear

TL95SVT

Clean & Simple!
Established Member
You didn't clear coat them? Mine have been cleared for 3 years, no yellowing yet.
I used the Duplicolor 500* clear

I put alot of thought into clear and i decided not too on the calipers... believe me, EVERYTHING has been done in 500 degree clear, i have probably used 15 cans lol.

I was just thinking that putting a few coats of clear wouldnt be any different than putting a few more coats of gold.... and i am happy with the way they look right now. Hopefully 3 coats will hold up to the weather, brake dust, ect.

TL95SVT

Clean & Simple!
Established Member
Well,

I got my calipers put back together with New Brembo Brake Pads. I also got my tires rotated today...

Here are 2 different Pics of the Calipers (different light) :
BBS.gif

I also got my flywheel resurfaced and am still assembling the engine. I am taking a long time, but doing it right.

I am sending my lower to get ported. While that is being done, the upper intake, throttle body & maf housings are being media blasted. The lower will also be blasted once it is has been ported.

Throttle Body Housing - Ground off Edelbrock and 70MM Embossing
Cobra25.jpg

MAF Housing
Cobra24.jpg

I have found the last parts that i need for my custom reverse hood pins. Just waiting on those to get here, then off to the welder!

Last edited:

red9450

Established Member
keep going with the pics man. this whole build looks amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread