Detailing the Cobra... 56K=NO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TL95SVT

Clean & Simple!
Established Member
*Updated* Detailing the Cobra... 56K=NO!

Well... it all started out with a broken motor mount bolt. I bought the car thinking i could fix it, i tried about 80 different drill bits/easy outs, grinding tools, ect. One day i said screw it an just pulled the engine out. I was so pissed at the block that i sold it and bought a brand new one. I have been working for about 3 months now, cleaning, grinding, cutting, sanding, polishing, painting, rerouting..... and im still only about 70% done!

Engine Bay When I bought the Car (after alot of cleaning):
DSC04136.jpg

Engine Bay Right before i took the Engine Out:
DSC04241.jpg

Engine Out:
DSC04441.jpg

After Some grinding:
DSC04466.jpg

DSC04464.jpg

DSC04465.jpg

ALL paint stripped off:
DSC04585.jpg

DSC04587.jpg

DSC04588.jpg

Painted Brake Booster:
DSC04571.jpg

Undercoated trans tunnel and underbody:
DSC04592.jpg

3 Coats of Primer:
DSC04597.jpg

DSC04598.jpg

DSC04599.jpg

DSC04600.jpg

2 Coats of Color, 3 Coats of Clear:
DSC04602.jpg

DSC04603.jpg

DSC04604.jpg

DSC04605.jpg

Parts:

Balancer - Painted, Polished, Clearcoated
DSC04583.jpg

DSC04584.jpg

Timing Cover - ground Flashing off, smoothed, ready for paint
DSC04527.jpg

DSC04528.jpg

Alt Bracket - Cut in Half, smoothed, ready for paint
DSC04531.jpg

DSC04533.jpg

Waterpump - Smoothed, Ready for paint
DSC04538.jpg

Tensioner - Smoothed, Ready for paint
DSC04541.jpg

A/C, Power Steering Bracet - BIGGEST pain the ASS - Cut Coil tab off, Weled 3 holes on top, Smoothed, ready for paint. About $100 into this an Countless hours!
DSC04544.jpg

DSC04545.jpg

DSC04547.jpg

Brake Lines - Cleaned, Painted, Wiring Rewrapped
DSC04570.jpg

Bracket to Hold ABS - painted, cleared
DSC04557.jpg

Heads - Cleaned, Painted, Cleared
DSC04565.jpg

DSC04566.jpg

Trans - Cleaned, Painted, ready to be Cleared
DSC04575.jpg

Shortblock - Painted
DSC04576.jpg

DSC04577.jpg

Cobra Calipers - Smoothed, rebuilt, ready for black Paint
DSC04580.jpg

Other things done:
Engine Wireharness: reloomed, and rewrapped
Almost all wire rerouted
Wiper arms, plastic cowl panel, radiator shroud all painted gloss black.
Power steering pump ready for paint
Alternator ready for paint
Custom Hood pins and brackets made by me
Painted rotors black
Waterneck painted
Distributor painted
Repainted Springs, Urathane isolators
Painted oil pan and tapped for powder adder

Other Things:
Spec Stage 2 Clutch, new TOB
MM firewall adjuster
MM clutch quadrent
New Wires
New Fuel Pressure Guage
New Lifters, Springs
New Headers
New Coil
New motor mounts
New transmount
New dipstick/tube

Thats all for now... i got alot more stuf done, i just havent taken pics.

Last edited:

allgo90

Established Member
badass project! it looks great. any go-fast mods in the plan?

TL95SVT

Clean & Simple!
Established Member
Thanks... No, its my daily driver. I got another project to work on after this :)

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I'm jelous. I'd love to undertake a project like this. I just don't have the time or space to do it.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Damn, nice job.
Keep us updated for sure!

What color will you be painting all the brackets? Black?

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Nice work so far. How are you going to keep it clean in there with it being the daily driver:-D

Dekorum

Established Member
32V FICobra said:
Nice work so far. How are you going to keep it clean in there with it being the daily driver:-D

I'd like to know also, lol.

TL95SVT

Clean & Simple!
Established Member
I barely have the time or space myself. I just work on it when i have time, and i have parts in my garage, shed, room, closet, and attic lmao.

I am going with a white, black, & grey theme. Just clean and simple.

The brackets, timing cover, distributor, waterneck will all be painted cast aluminum.

The heads, trans and various other things are cast iron.

I will probably paint the alternator, and powersteering pump (just the metal part) cast iron to off set them from the brackets.

Ill take some more pics this weekend.

Thanks for the comments!

Last edited:

TL95SVT

Clean & Simple!
Established Member
Dekorum said:
I'd like to know also, lol.

If you look at the before pic... that was how my engine looked anytime you opened the hood. I put about 20K miles on it in a year and a half. And no i dont wash it every week, maybe once every two or three weeks.

EVERYTIME i wash the car, i open the hood and wash everything, just as i was washing the outside of the car. I use soap and water on all the paint, and a soft brush on all the metal. Some times i will use simple green if stuff starts to build up. It only takes about 15 extra minutes to do, and is well worth it.

Think of it like this, if you give your engine one really good cleaning, then just maintain it (not letting oil, dirt, and grim build up), it will always look good. I also do not treat it as a show car, it never has been or will be, just get it as clean as you can, cause its just gonna get dirty again lol.

I used to have alot of polished stuff, a/c lines, fpr, pulleys. And i would have to repolish them everytime i washed the engine, which pissed me off so bad! Now i have either painted, or repolished then clearcoated everything so it is even more maintenance free.

Last edited:

Dekorum

Established Member
Damn, you wash everything under your hood whenever you wash the exterior? Don't you have to take some time covering everything up? What exactly do you cover up and what do you use to cover important engine parts that shouldn't get wet? BTW, didn't you already have some wires and the battery hidden in your first engine bay picture?

Last edited:

allgo90

Established Member
32V FICobra said:

once you give it a good cleaning it is ALOT easier to keep clean.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Looks good and looks like fun. I'm probably going to do something similar soon to mine. The previous owner painted the motor red. It looks like crap and I hate it.

TL95SVT

Clean & Simple!
Established Member
Dekorum said:
Damn, you wash everything under your hood whenever you wash the exterior? Don't you have to take some time covering everything up? What exactly do you cover up and what do you use to cover important engine parts that shouldn't get wet? BTW, didn't you already have some wires and the battery hidden in your first engine bay picture?

I dont cover anything up... i just powerwash the crap outta the engine bay. I have done this for 5 years and havent had one problem.

Yes i took the car down for about 4 months when i first got it. Alot of things had been poorly done. Some bare wires were exposed, lower intake leaked, i dont think the engine had ever been cleaned previously. I rerouted almost all the wires, deleted the smog, moved the overflow, cleaned everything.

So i was a little ahead of the game when i started, it would have taken me about a year to do all this if i hadnt redone all the wiring before.

Last edited:

Dekorum

Established Member
TL95SVT said:
I dont cover anything up... i just powerwash the crap outta the engine bay. I have done this for 5 years and havent had one problem.

Yes i took the car down for about 4 months when i first got it. Alot of things had been poorly done. Some bare wires were exposed, lower intake leaked, i dont think the engine had ever been cleaned previously. I rerouted almost all the wires, deleted the smog, moved the overflow, cleaned everything.

So i was a little ahead of the game when i started, it would have taken me about a year to do all this if i hadnt redone all the wiring before.

Where did move the overflow? I noticed that it was no where in sight.
I like how you have it real neat and clean and you still kept the AC, awesome. I have a feeling I will have some problems with my car once I start washing the engine bay without covering anything. Maybe I have some bare wires exposed some places...
Two other questions: Do you still have the EGR tube hooked up? What kind of MAS is that? And is that on like a BBK cold air kit?

convert03cobra

Established Member
Wow, it's going to look awesome when you are done. Doing things the right way requires time and patience. Don't worry, it will be done soon enough. I can't wait to see the finished product.

TL95SVT

Clean & Simple!
Established Member
Dekorum said:
Where did move the overflow? I noticed that it was no where in sight.
I like how you have it real neat and clean and you still kept the AC, awesome. I have a feeling I will have some problems with my car once I start washing the engine bay without covering anything. Maybe I have some bare wires exposed some places...
Two other questions: Do you still have the EGR tube hooked up? What kind of MAS is that? And is that on like a BBK cold air kit?

ALL of the EGR stuff is deleted, the mass air meter is C&L 76mm. I have no clue what intake it is, but i am making a new one out of pvc, it will be a straight shot into the intake. This will have to wait until i get the engine back in.....

Last edited:

TL95SVT

Clean & Simple!
Established Member
Engine Harness - Reloomed, and rewrapped
DSC04564.jpg

Fan Shroud - Painted Gloss Black, Looks better than the paint on my car lol
Cobra16.jpg

Timing Cover - Smoothed, painted, clearcoated
Cobra7.jpg

Alt Bracket - Smoothed, painted, clearcoated
Cobra8.jpg

P/S Bracket - Smoothed, painted, clearcoated
Cobra9.jpg

Cobra10.jpg

Waterpump - Smoothed, painted, clearcoated
cobra11.jpg

Waterneck - Smoothed, painted, clearcoated
cobra13.jpg

Tensioner : Smoothed, painted, Clearcoated
cobra12.jpg

Distributor: Cut, painted, clearcoated (right after paint)
cobra14.jpg

Rotors - Cleaned, Painted, took forever to tape!
cobra61.jpg

Timing Pointer - Cleaned, Painted, Clearcoated
DSC04568.jpg

Starter - Cleaned, Painted, Clearcoated
DSC04560.jpg

Last edited:

Dekorum

Established Member
Damn thats some good work dude. Your sick!
How did are you keeping the check engine light from coming on if you removed the entire EGR valve from the wiring harness? None of the damn EGR eliminators that plug into the harness worked for me, so I am currently leaving the EGR valve on the intake with the hole open and the passenger header capped off.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
wow.... since your in NC, lemme know when your done.. i wanna see that up close...

are those deep dish RK's on the rear.... or 8.5's on all 4 corners? i thinking of getting some to replace the R's

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread