Votes: 117 43.8%
  • 4.56's

Votes: 21 7.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mach0ne351

Established Member
3.73s all the way. anything higher, youll be spinning the tires with street tires off the line. wheel hop like a mofo with the IRS too.....with a liveaxle, id say go with 410 or 430s. with IRS, 3.73s are perfect.

-marek

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
blown01cobra said:
yea i know man i was picking so when are you going to be back up this way.

Not until early January. All that suspension shit and hopefully some 4.30's will be on the car. :burnout:

chuckstang

Established Member
I think 410s are the best because you can still use 1st. That helps alot off the line! 456 is really nutz if you ask me, for a street car that is not just built to drag.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
I had 4.30s, 4.56s, and 4.88s in my 99 Cobra at one time or another. No matter which gear I had, I always used first.

With traction, torque multiplication is your friend.

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
I agree wholeheartedly with Bob on this one. No matter how steep you many think a gear is, it will never make first "useless". When I switched from 3.73s to 4.56s, I didn't even notice first being any shorter, just a whole lot more punchy.

99E.GreenCobra

Established Member
Mach0ne351 said:
3.73s all the way. anything higher, youll be spinning the tires with street tires off the line. wheel hop like a mofo with the IRS too.....with a liveaxle, id say go with 410 or 430s. with IRS, 3.73s are perfect.

-marek
Thanks for bringing up the 3.73's. I have almost 300 at the rear and at this time cant see more than 10-15 hp added in the future. I race a few times in the season but the Cobra is primarily a show car.
Last year, my shop recommended 3.73's with stronger after market 1/2 shafts. I'm not sure on the 1/2 shafts, it might be added excess expense, not sure if needed. I do intend to keep the IRS and just have fun at the strip occasionally but eventually pleasure driving and all show. :-D

Bob Cosby

Established Member
99E's post helps to make a good point - there is no "perfect" gear (sorry MachOne351), and the "best" gear is whatever suits an individual's goals. 3.73s might be perfect for you and you, 4.10s for you and you and you, and 4.88s for some us hardcore idiots (using that term in a humorous manner). It's all about what you intend to do with the car.

Best of luck to all.

AzDropTop

Established Member
Bob Cosby said:
I had 4.30s, 4.56s, and 4.88s in my 99 Cobra at one time or another. No matter which gear I had, I always used first.

With traction, torque multiplication is your friend.

Bob Rules. :thumbsup: Experience is the best teacher.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
if anyone knows anything about these cars bob does:) anyone who can get one to run mid-low 11's with a little over 300 rwhp knows what he's talkin about.

RioRed4v

Established Member
driven both a cobra with 4.10's and 4.30's. they both feel pretty similar, but for track use, go with the 4.30's since with 4.10's you'd be having to shift at the wrong point in time.

both make very streetable gears. After driving my friends car, i decided to go with 4.30's for myself, as they felt a little better than the 4.10's IMO.

JAXCOBRA99

Established Member
All this information and experiences are really great guys!. Keep it coming.. good stuff here.. These choices are not easy at all but right now I'm leaning ever so slightly towards the 4.30's as they sound like a good compromise between the 4.10's & 4.56's. They're right in the middle basically between the other two.. Not quite as steep as the 4.56's but a little more bite than the 4.10's.

-B

SPICER

Blood, Sweat, and Gears!
Established Member
i want more info on the 4.56s i am going to need to decide if i want them by the end of next month, right now i am runnin 4.10 in my car and very soon i will be upgrading my rear end with 31 sline moser axles and i am thinking about putting 4.56s in and sellin the 4.10s. What i want to know is with the 4.56 gears what rpm are you at by the end of the quarter and what rpm are you at while crusin on the highway at about 70. And my least question is, is anyone runnin nitrous with thier 4.56 gears or is that a little to steep for the nx.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
rrspicer said:
i want more info on the 4.56s i am going to need to decide if i want them by the end of next month, right now i am runnin 4.10 in my car and very soon i will be upgrading my rear end with 31 sline moser axles and i am thinking about putting 4.56s in and sellin the 4.10s. What i want to know is with the 4.56 gears what rpm are you at by the end of the quarter and what rpm are you at while crusin on the highway at about 70. And my least question is, is anyone runnin nitrous with thier 4.56 gears or is that a little to steep for the nx.

Gear calculator:

http://www.corral.net/tech/gearcalc.html

badboycali_559

Established Member
can ne one tell me wats teh top speed on all the gears, top speed on 3.73, 4.10, 4.30 and 4.56, ne thing over 4.56 is nutz(personal opinion:)

CY98Cobra

Established Member
they make the top speed higher because it allows the car to pull in 5th gear. with 3.27's the car dies in 5th gear and cant pull as high as you can with gears. and if you drive 120 mph on the freeway when not racing or with traffic you should have your license takin away and pay a huge fine. thats idiotic and dangerous to everyone on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread