Votes: 117 43.8%
  • 4.56's

Votes: 21 7.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JAXCOBRA99

Established Member
I'ts soon going to be new gears for me and I want to make sure I don't go overboard.

I'm looking for excellent performance while at the same time not going to radical as to ruin daily driveability.

As the title suggests.. Here are the choices I've narrowed down..

4.10's - The only set of gears that I've had real world experience with. I had them on my 01 GT and liked them alot but would the 4.30's be better?

4.30's - Are these gears marginally better than the 4.10's or does it just keep getting better?

4.56's - I hear a lot of folks love these gears and they say that it will make every gear pull like a freight train including 5th. but.. is the downside that I'll be Reving so high at anything over 55 that I'll hate driving the car? Will it ruin gas mileage, etc?

Appreciate hearing everyone's opinions, thoughts, etc.

-Brian.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
My opinion...

4.10s are a decent upgrade over stock, though they are not good for the dragstrip, as they force you into 4th gear just short of the line. If this is not a concern, and highway rpm is a primary concern, then they are a valid choice.

4.30s are probably the best all-around street/strip gear for a n/a DOHC car (much like 3.73s were the preferred street/strip gear for a 5.0).

4.56s are for the more drag-race oriented, though many of us have used them in our daily drivers (including myself).

With any of them, traction will be more of an issue, so that has to be addressed.

Gas mileage will suffer if you beat on the car more (which will be easy to do with the extra gear). However, if you take it easy, gas mileage should suffer little.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
i have 4.10's now and while they were good at first now i want more, especially with the t56. i will be stepping up to 4.56's soon, i havent read about anyone who has them that doesnt love 'em. and like bob cosby said, with 4.10's you will be shifting into 4th about 100 feet before the line on the strip. dont fear the gear:)

kezell

MW3-kezell17
Established Member
I have 4.30's and love them. I may eventually step up to a 4.56 but that will be awhile from now since I am still enjoying the 4.30's.

When I first installed them and took the car for a drive it felt like a totally different car, it pulled like crazy..lol

chuckstang

Established Member
I think 410s are great. sure Id love more gear, but I think if you have a 99 or 01 you must then consider swapping to a solid rear because the stock IRS will not last with 456! 410's are the best street gear for a IRS car. But 430 would work good too if you dont go crazy on the launch.

kezell

MW3-kezell17
Established Member
chuckstang said:
I think 410s are great. sure Id love more gear, but I think if you have a 99 or 01 you must then consider swapping to a solid rear because the stock IRS will not last with 456! 410's are the best street gear for a IRS car. But 430 would work good too if you dont go crazy on the launch.

I agree...I think that swapping to a solid with more gear will better than putting too much gear in the IRS.

JAXCOBRA99

Established Member
wow.. it's a dead heat right at the moment between the 4.30's & 4.10's. I have to say at this point I'm honestly leaning towards the 4.30's. Although my cobra is for the most part my daily driver I do have a new full size truck that I could use for any serious highway stuff. The only reason I'm leaning away from the 4.56's just a tad is because of some of the comments here and the fact that it's starting to sound like more of a gear for the guys with some beefier solid rear axles, etc. Maybe the 4.30's are borderline on the IRS for all I know but I'm getting excited about going for those. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure for what is typical of a gear install on an IRS car? I want to make sure my estimates fall within that range..

Thanks guys!.

Brian.

hatsharpener

Established Member
JAXCOBRA99 said:
4.56's - I hear a lot of folks love these gears and they say that it will make every gear pull like a freight train including 5th. but.. is the downside that I'll be Reving so high at anything over 55 that I'll hate driving the car? Will it ruin gas mileage, etc?
I love my 4.56s. I can get 20mpg highway and 23mpg city (have to drive like a 100 year old lady though). On the highway I turn 3400 rpm. Nothing too bad and, if you aren't getting on the gas, the car is still really quiet. Around town, once you hit 5th gear, you really don't need to shift unless you are coming to a complete stop. Unless the car is a true daily driver and grocery getter, I'd say 4.56s. Oh, and 5th gear pulls great on the highway :drool:

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
JAXCOBRA99 said:
wow.. it's a dead heat right at the moment between the 4.30's & 4.10's. I have to say at this point I'm honestly leaning towards the 4.30's. Although my cobra is for the most part my daily driver I do have a new full size truck that I could use for any serious highway stuff. The only reason I'm leaning away from the 4.56's just a tad is because of some of the comments here and the fact that it's starting to sound like more of a gear for the guys with some beefier solid rear axles, etc. Maybe the 4.30's are borderline on the IRS for all I know but I'm getting excited about going for those. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure for what is typical of a gear install on an IRS car? I want to make sure my estimates fall within that range..

Thanks guys!.

Brian.

The difference between 4.10's and 4.30's in terms of RPM's is like a couple hundred. I drove my buddies Cobra with 4.10's and they were very streetable. I would think (hopefully I'll know pretty soon) that 4.30's are the perfect gear for our cars. For me, the couple hundred extra RPM's on the highway are worth the amount of fun from stoplight to stoplight.

OrangeMachine

Established Member
I have 4.30's and they are pretty sweet. First gear isn't necessary, the car pulls in second from a stop like first gear used to. First gear is tractionally challenged. I need DR's bad! Then again, I have a solid axle. I couldn't imagine the wheelhop that these gears would induce in the IRS. Personally, I wouldn't go any higher than the 4.30's if you want to retain any drivability. I don't see why you would want anything higher really, because with these gears you never fall out of the powerband. 4.56's just seem like overkill.

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
I voted for the 4.56's obviously, of course, I have a solid axle, so I don't have all the IRS problems you guys do. I have absolutely no complaints with the 4.56s.

JAXCOBRA99

Established Member
What vendor has the best prices on gears? I assume the Motive gears in a 4.30 and the Ford Racing gears in a 4.10? I didn't see that FR had any 4.30's.

B.

blown01cobra

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
BreBar21 said:
The difference between 4.10's and 4.30's in terms of RPM's is like a couple hundred. I drove my buddies Cobra with 4.10's and they were very streetable. I would think (hopefully I'll know pretty soon) that 4.30's are the perfect gear for our cars. For me, the couple hundred extra RPM's on the highway are worth the amount of fun from stoplight to stoplight.

yea you need some type of gear so you can keep up with me from stoplight to stoplight.

as for my opinion i have 4:10's in a solid axle and i would much rather have 4:30's in it i turn about 2900 to 3000 rpms at 80 on the hwy. i vote for the 4:30's they are a great all around gear but if you are not going to drive the car very much 4:56's would be even better but only in a solid axle.

Avenging Angel

Established Member
You've had 4.10's on your GT & you loved it. Now you're in a 99 Cobra which has a higher redline. There shouldn't even be a question. If you're going to stay N/A, I would say 4.30's MINIMUM! I had a 99 Cobra with 4.10's. When I bought my 01, I put in 4.30's. The car is my Daily Driver (40% Freeways). If I had to do it all over, I would have gone 4.56's. Gears don't kill your gas mileage, you stomping on the gas pedal because gears make you car more fun to drive, kills your gas mileage. A V8 Cobra kills your gas mileage. If you want a gas conscious car, then get a Honda. :-D

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
blown01cobra said:
yea you need some type of gear so you can keep up with me from stoplight to stoplight.

:fart:

Next time no rain. I like having a car in one piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread