VENUMUS
Established Member
Yea.

The big D.

Death.

EVERY DAMM ONE OF US THINKS ABOUT IT.

More often than we like.

When, Where, How?

An attorney I know, well known and accomplished, recently died. I learned of it via a txt msg one morning this week.

We crossed swords on many occasions and I always won. Just 2 months ago did a jury trial together where we each represented a codefendant. I always looked up to him, though I had figured him out and had his number. :D To me, he was the peak of the profession. His stature, his bravado, his swagger, and his style. He was what you thought of when you imagined a deeply intelligent, crafty, and skillful advocate. I consider my wins over him always close and hard fought and braced for those cases in which I faced him. I tip my hat to you Francis Stubbs.

He was with his family in the mountains for the weekend. He left them there and came home for court the next day. When he didn't appear, the court called his office, his secretary went to his house. His car was there. She found him on the kitchen floor in front of the frig that was open.

I know no more.

I've heard nothing to indicate any suspicion of anything beyond natural causes.

Its made me reflect. Its the one universal truth we each must face. And you never know when that day will come to you. And that where to me life becomes a challenge. The uncertainty creates the balance we each must create between the two competing ideas:

1. Live each day likes it your last because one day it will be.

and

2. Invest in your future.

Where that balance lies seems to change with age and the involvement of others in your life.

I weigh that balance and wager both ways each day.

You?

Last edited:
I don't worry about death. Avoid foolishness and minimize the risk taking that can shorten your life and you could live a long and satisfying life. And of course how could I forget, shame on me, keep reading the Lord's Word in the Bible and never forget that it is health and medicine to our spirit and physical bodies. Glory to God!

dooberGN

Established Member
I don't know what to make of this, it first appeared to be one of those joke posts because you said you crossed swords many times.

If it is serious one of my best friends I have known since second grade recently passed away so I have been thinking about it.

^^Yes we know you are into God you don't have to make it quite so obvious in every post you make.

Last edited:
I don't know what to make of this, it first appeared to be one of those joke posts because you said you crossed swords many times.

If it is serious one of my best friends I have known since second grade recently passed away so I have been thinking about it.

^^Yes we know you are into God you don't have to make it quite so obvious in every post you make.

Would you like me to send you some e-tissues since apparently a mere mention of God is causing you to unravel and lose your composure?

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Strangely enough my attorney dropped dead of a sudden heart attack back in may, he was 59. Everyday I ride past his office on my way to and fro here in town, his name in big letters across the top of the building for all to see. I think what about all his other clients, what about their cases? All though we weren't close I'm saddened for his family. I guess the question is will people be happy or sad when we die?

Ironhand

Banned
Sorry for your lose eddy.

Yes it is true that no matter what you do in life you just cant avoid two things. Death and Taxes.

Zentenk

Established Member
I don't think about it too often... one reason I got the Viper was if I die at least I got my dream car. I think before I leap and keep my body healthy and plan on living a long life. I could die from something stupid and not be aware (because I exploded or something).

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
The only thing about Death that I'm worried about right now is that Obama wants to re-instate the Death Tax. So when you die, the gov takes 55% of your assets.

ssssnake

Established Member
I think about death often. Not really my own, but that of my friends and family. The people who have been in my life and now are gone. I miss them.

I know I don't have any choice in the matter (unless I took my own life, which would never be a choice for me), but I would prefer a swift death. It was hard to watch my husband and mother go through a painful passing.

Yes, I plan for the future - if I live long enough to retire and if not, for my child and my grandchildren, so they won't have to struggle. And for my future in eternity. Not much else is of importance.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
I dont think about death that often at all. No point in thinking about it really. Since I am a child of God, death only means my life because the most awesome thing ever.

The only occasional thought of death I have is that if it were premature (in my eyes) and I had to leave my wife behind.

Other than that, bring it on!

Glory to God!

gump

aka jamz
Established Member
I should have been dead last Jan-Feb. so yes I think about death.

While on a personal level dying would be no big deal (I'm a person of faith). But on another level, missing & being missed by your loved ones, the very thought of this makes you strive and do whatever it takes to stay alive even if only for them.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
I've thought about death a little more often lately; I don't know how I would handle one of my loved ones passing, I know it would be hard for me but I'd have to stay strong and ask the Lord for strength. I think about my death not for me, but for my family and close friends, the last thing I want is to be the reason for sorrow and tears especially that of my parents and two brothers...

Some of your posts just need not be made

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Sorry for your loss EsqEddy. I am 50 almost 51 and have realized for a while now that ever moment on this earth with your family, friends, co-workers and loved ones is a blessing. I thank the Good Lord above for granting me great parents, a great up-bringing, a great wife, a great daughter, The Cobra and many other things. I do realize I may be here today and gone tomorrow. I just hope and pray I leave a lasting effect on people as my mother and father did. They have been gone 14 and 24 years respectfully and people still come up to me this day and tell my what great impact they had on their lives and others and how deeply they are still missed. I just hope to be able to be remembered in a small part like that.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd say death crosses my mind quite frequently, not necessarily my own, but others. Like what would happen if so-and-so died, how would I feel, how would I grieve etc...

I lost my father in sept due to a heart attack, and he was only 45. So I've become aware that I need to make the most of my relationship with the family I love. Never once growing up did me or my uncles(both older than my dad) ever say we loved each other. Now we do, and I've got a soon to be 2yr old niece that I go visit every chance I get(not much due to military).

I've also lost several good friends this year to freak accidents, all around my age(22), so its all quite close to home with me.

wow...heaviest thread I've seen on here I think!

Im not afraid of my own death because I do what I can to avoid it, however it saddens me to think of my friends/family when I do die.

tj04cobra

Established Member

Next time you have a thought.....just let it go......

On a serious note sorry about your loss.

I think about death alot. Where do I go when I die? Haven't figured out if there is a higher place or just a box in a hole covered in dirt where eventually no one comes to visit. I have thought about what if a close loved one dies, how would I handle it as well.

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member
I think about death pretty often in one way or another. My ex wife age 38 passed away in January leaving behind a 2 yr old son. I now have a 2 year old daughter and worry because I need to be here to guide and protect her. On the flipside as a health care professional I realize how quickly and tragically it can all end for anyone , anywhere and anytime. You just have to try and live right , have faith in God and make every day count.

05slvrgt

Real bits of panther.
Established Member
Interesting subject. It's on my mind quite often, although not my death so much as the death of my loved ones. Being only 20 I am still foolish enough to believe I will live forever, however, my grandparents are all getting up there in age, and I know that it could come to any of them much sooner than I would like. I've been fortunate in life so far, as to have not lost any of my family and I'm not sure how I'll adjust to it once it does happen. I've only lost a good friend of mine and that was over Christmas, he was 22 and it bothered me quite a bit. So lately, I've been trying to spend more time with my grandparents, knowing another 10 years would be a long time for all of them.

dooberGN

Established Member
Interesting subject. It's on my mind quite often, although not my death so much as the death of my loved ones. Being only 20 I am still foolish enough to believe I will live forever, however, my grandparents are all getting up there in age, and I know that it could come to any of them much sooner than I would like. I've been fortunate in life so far, as to have not lost any of my family and I'm not sure how I'll adjust to it once it does happen. I've only lost a good friend of mine and that was over Christmas, he was 22 and it bothered me quite a bit. So lately, I've been trying to spend more time with my grandparents, knowing another 10 years would be a long time for all of them.

I'm with you on that, my buddy was 23 and it was hard to see his parents go through that much pain, especially after knowing them basically my whole life. You do realize that you take a lot for granted, thinking you will always have your relatives.

There used to be a lot of things that I used to do to help my grandmother out that I slacked off on for one reason or another. I started doing those things again and you can tell she really appreciates the little things.

Users who are viewing this thread