Dealership unhappy they're not going to get to screw me?

LITTLEMAGS

Established Member
I don't think that they were upset "they couldn't screw you", probably just trying to get you in and out with your order. No reason to try and sell you anything if you are ordering. I would bet that they treat you great when the car comes in and at delivery.

You have it all figured out. See I saw it opposite, guys like you would come in bragging about how much they knew and threw around terms like invoice/holdback. I don't know why everyong seems to think that they are entitled to holdback. BTW, most dealers don't make the money on new cars, as "they are aware of the age of the internet". Most of the profit in sales is generated from the used department.

awesome...you hit it right on the head.

FormulaFord

Established Member
I am not bashing any salesmen but I find it funny that you criticize "internet know it all's" who obviously from your statements paid less than your happy customers that paid more. Oh and by the way I guess when its time for the car salesman out there to buy a new car for themselves or their families they just go pay what their salesman quotes them. Please... Vehicles are the second most expensive purchase people make in a lifetime so don't compare it to buying milk!

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
FWIW, I had no problem with a quick and easy invoice or plan deal. What I hated is when someone would come in with an X plan, negotiate for an hour, then expose it only to realize that it was about where we were at... No problem with those who are knowledgable, but rather those that came in with their GF's/Wife trying to prove a point. The smart guys pay all the attention to the wife and what she wants, because in the end we all know that she calls the shots. :)

CGoeschel

Established Member
I love it when someone thinks $2,000 is the difference between getting a good deal and getting screwed over. I'm not rich, but come on, $2,000? Youre going to spend 3 times that much on a blower for your car. How much profit is in blowers, wheels and tires, carbon fiber intakes, programmers and my personal favorite 3" exhaust tubing that you'll pay 6-7 hundred for? Here, I'll tell you....TONS! Folks, we're in business to make money, make no mistake about it. If it was your store, you'd be yelling at your managers and salespeople to make more gross, if you sold everything at a 500 profit you'd be out of business in short order, but it's not your store so quit whining. Go do your research, negotiate your best price, in the end we both have the ability to say yes or no to the deal that's offered, that's what we do every day. In the end, you can bring all you're Edmonds, KBB info etc, if it makes sense to the dealership, we're going to make a deal, if it doesn't, we're not. It easy really.

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
...if you sold everything at a 500 profit you'd be out of business in short order, but it's not your store so quit whining....

That is not the entire story now is it?

500 bucks on 30k dollar sale is a 1.7% markup. Most people will spend 30 to 50% markup fee for clothing, 80% markup for their 2 dollar bottle of soda for lunch, and even a higher markup on their 4 buck coffee every morning.

Complaining about pricing shows everyone how immature they really are. As you stated it should be simple. Dont like the price, dont buy the vehicle. If you can get a better price somewhere else, go there!

Last item on trade ins. Do you want your 8k for your 12k retail used car now, or do you want 9k for your 12k retail used car in 6 months when you finally sell it? Yes you could make more money selling it yourself, but you will make far less than you think and its a pain in the ass as well!:bash:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Vehicles are the second most expensive purchase people make in a lifetime so don't compare it to buying milk!

Your joking right? You think its more important to purchase a brand new car than it is to put food on the table?

No sane person would spend more on a car than food every month and complain about the price of the car! If your paying 400 bucks a month for food and 400 bucks for your car and complain about the price of your car....you paid too much for your damn car!

Point is food should be the second most expensive purchase for yourself and family, not your car!

warlockgs

Established Member
Wait, what?

I'd like to get my hands on some 39,000-dollar milk. I'll bet it's awesome tasting; or at least, it better be.

Comparing the effort one takes to make sure to get the right deal on a 35K+ item, to the willingness to spend 2.99 on a gallon of milk is really a red herring argument. The effort I spend to find cheaper milk is zero; I pay whatever it is at whatever store I'm at, unless I think they've got their milk completely overpriced, and then I just wait for my next shopping interval to glance at prices and see if I am now interested in milk. In between, if I have to go without milk, so be it.

Now, when I'm dropping 5-digit money on something like a CAR, you're damned right I'm going to do some research and see if I can get the best deal possible on a car that suits my requirements. Buying a car, while not an investment per se, is definitely a long-term engagement; that bottle of milk is a 4-day fling, a best. If I buy an overpriced bottle of milk, I'm not going to spend the next 5 years paying for that purchase decision. I'll just make sure to be more careful 4 days from then.

I was very glad I got a great dealership that took amazing care of me without me having to break out any gymnastics with the pricing of the deal; I got what I figured was a fair value for my trade (considering the time I'd spend selling it for only 2 or 3k more than what I got for it), I got an excellent price on the car itself, and got out of there with an interest rate I could live with for 4 years (I could've shaved 100/month off my car payment by going for 5 years, but the math told me to take it or 4 years), and a down payment large enough to ensure I would not ever be upside-down on the loan in case I felt the sudden urge to trade it in on something else.

A lot of people out there have bad credit; I'm not ashamed to admit my credit score was in the low 500s and I was expecting severe amounts of rectal pain from the interest rates. But my dealership fought for me and got me a single-digit interest rate, with Ford Credit, and if I ever decide I need another Ford, that dealership is getting my repeat business.

It seems hard for people to find a good dealership thse days, but if you work WITH them instead of against them, you would be surprised at what you can accomplish together.

I'm not advocating walking in and paying the sticker price (I sure as hell didn't) but at least TRY and build some synergy with the sales folk; you get a lot more flies with honey than vinegar.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Wait, what?

I'd like to get my hands on some 39,000-dollar milk. I'll bet it's awesome tasting; or at least, it better be.

Comparing the effort one takes to make sure to get the right deal on a 35K+ item, to the willingness to spend 2.99 on a gallon of milk is really a red herring argument.

The point was not with milk necessarily but with ordinary objects that we need to buy every week. And yes it is very easy to spend 400 a month on groceries, approximately the same amount many of you spend on your car payment!

Dont worry the price on milk will be going up dramatically very shortly, as with most of the groceries, yet some of you will still be blind and only complain about the mrsp on a new car!:rockon:

FormulaFord

Established Member
Your joking right? You think its more important to purchase a brand new car than it is to put food on the table?

No sane person would spend more on a car than food every month and complain about the price of the car! If your paying 400 bucks a month for food and 400 bucks for your car and complain about the price of your car....you paid too much for your damn car!

Point is food should be the second most expensive purchase for yourself and family, not your car!

Who said a car is more important than food? If you cannot afford to put food on the table you damn sure better not be looking at purchasing a $32k car! I don't think you understood what my point is. For most of us the largest purchases we make are #1 House, #2 Vehicle. Advice here when you make a LARGE purchase. Research and get the best deal possible. It has a big impact on your finances savings thousands compared to saving .20 cents on finding the cheapest gallon of milk.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I don't think you understood what my point is. For most of us the largest purchases we make are #1 House, #2 Vehicle. Advice here when you make a LARGE purchase.

I am saying that food for the house should be the 2nd largest purchase for the household not the car. Like I said its easy to spend 400-500 a month or more for food!

If you are spending more for your car than you are for food, you have no right to complain about the price of said car!:idea:

FormulaFord

Established Member
I am saying that food for the house should be the 2nd largest purchase for the household not the car. Like I said its easy to spend 400-500 a month or more for food!

If you are spending more for your car than you are for food, you have no right to complain about the price of said car!:idea:

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. You are talking about necessary monthly reoccurring expenses. I am talking about a major purchase that is not a necessity to life. I have never heard of anyone starving to death from not having a 5.0 mustang. "Although I am jones'n for one." By the way we all complain about the price of food, gas, electricity, insurance etc going up. Best Regards,

04nccobra

Established Member

Bingo we have a winner here. My guess is that many in here worried about getting screwed out of a grand or two probably shouldn't be buying the car to begin with. Before you buy think about that $400-$600 a month payment for the next 60-72 months, that grand or two is nothing in the overall amount. And if you have to budget your grocery bill in order to have the car, well there really isn't much hope for you.

All in all a great topic, it's nice to hear the two sides of the story.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Try telling them you're going to use an A plan pin.

A plan was great for me. Absolutely no negotiating and someone very appreciative of the price that they get. Pick a car/truck and lets fill out all necessary paperwork. Down the road 2hrs later from greeting to delivery.

bexamous

Established Member
Seriously dude this food shit is getting old. You are trying to say food is the 2nd largest expense for a household, not purchase. Purchase is a single transaction. A car is the second largest purchase most will ever make.

Grant808

Established Member
Calling Krogers, Aldi, Biggs, Walmart, Costco, Sams before buying 1 gallon of milk, and then your bread, then your beef, working em for the best price?

When you walk into sams, you pay the price they have on the product. Do you call them scum of the earth?

I don't disagree with you overall...I've been a salesperson before.

But Krogers, Sam's etc. will also NEVER try to get more than their sticker/msrp for what they sell. That's not the case with many dealers.

Anyway, this thread has gotten really polarized very quickly...

Users who are viewing this thread