Dealership unhappy they're not going to get to screw me?

Lowrie

Established Member
A few days ago I went in to look at the new 5.0s. The saleswoman and the sales manager were very nice and gracious. "We'll hook you up with this" "We'll help you out with that" blah blah blah. A bunch of nice words. Well, I went in today to order one and as soon as they realized that I knew what I was talking about as far as invoice price and incentives, etc. they seemed a little less happy. They weren't outright rude or anything, but I didn't leave with the same optimistic and "ass-kissed" feeling that I had when I went in a few days ago. Obviously they're not going to make as much money off of something that is sold at invoice or below, but come on. Patronize me a little bit.

How many have had this happen to them?

Mika

Established Member
That's pretty much par for the course. Salespeople work on commission, and the bigger the profit for the dealer, the bigger the commission check for themselves. They weren't as happy because they weren't going to make as much money as they originally thought.

That's about par for the course. The vast majority of salespeople are scum. Don't get me wrong, there are some out there that are fair and on the up and up. But the vast majority, not so much.

Mika

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
that's pretty much par for the course. Salespeople work on commission, and the bigger the profit for the dealer, the bigger the commission check for themselves. They weren't as happy because they weren't going to make as much money as they originally thought.

That's about par for the course. The vast majority of salespeople are scum. Don't get me wrong, there are some out there that are fair and on the up and up. But the vast majority, not so much.

Mika

+1000

Lowrie

Established Member
Yeah, I pretty much knew it was going to work this way. I was just very optimistic about going in from how they treated me the first time. Oh, well. I'll find out wednesday exactly where they stand. That's when my 5.0 should be coming in.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
If you want to really make them mad, print off or document the trade in value for your vehicle in your area from the top automotive sites on the internet.
I even reference what the same vehicle with similar mileage is selling on sites like Autotrader or Cars.com. and knock that price down 2-3k for trade in value.

Then when they tell you "this is the absolute best we can give you on your trade in", show them all your documents stating that you should be getting thousands more. That will put a frown on their face instantly and they will start peppering you with excuses why they can not match those numbers.

If they will not even give you a fair price on your trade in, forget about getting a good price on your new purchase.

Mika

Established Member
Yeah, I pretty much knew it was going to work this way. I was just very optimistic about going in from how they treated me the first time. Oh, well. I'll find out wednesday exactly where they stand. That's when my 5.0 should be coming in.

If you want to be pampered, you can forget about it at a Ford or Chevy house. My wife bought a Lexus RX330 back in '04 and they took care of her. Of course her bill was almost $40k. So you will be paying out the wazoo, and even then it isn't guaranteed that you'll get taken care of. There are some sales folks out there that will treat you like you should be treated, but they are few and far between. Customer service is dead for the most part.

Mika

Lowrie

Established Member
If you want to really make them mad, print off or document the trade in value for your vehicle in your area from the top automotive sites on the internet.
I even reference what the same vehicle with similar mileage is selling on sites like Autotrader or Cars.com. and knock that price down 2-3k for trade in value.

Then when they tell you "this is the absolute best we can give you on your trade in", show them all your documents stating that you should be getting thousands more. That will put a frown on their face instantly and they will start peppering you with excuses why they can not match those numbers.

If they will not even give you a fair price on your trade in, forget about getting a good price on your new purchase.

Nice. I like that. I'll give it a shot next time.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
I had my lil bro hook me up w a d plan at his dealership and they were nice as could be, spent crap 2hrs programming all the stuff. Sent me christmas cards and e mails. They even do mods if you want. List price 35 085 something with d plan and a 1k rebate so 30785k something

FormulaFord

Established Member
All salesman and saleswomen need to wake up to the age of the internet! Gone are the days of going into a showroom blind to what the actual costs of the cars are. I find it sporting pissing off new car sales people! I go to edmunds to find out the exact invoice on the car and options I am looking for and then "dont forget the dealer holdback" from the manufacturer. You can usually google the holdback on the model your looking for. All this info cuts out any BS!;-)

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
A few days ago I went in to look at the new 5.0s. The saleswoman and the sales manager were very nice and gracious. "We'll hook you up with this" "We'll help you out with that" blah blah blah. A bunch of nice words. Well, I went in today to order one and as soon as they realized that I knew what I was talking about as far as invoice price and incentives, etc. they seemed a little less happy. They weren't outright rude or anything, but I didn't leave with the same optimistic and "ass-kissed" feeling that I had when I went in a few days ago. Obviously they're not going to make as much money off of something that is sold at invoice or below, but come on. Patronize me a little bit.

How many have had this happen to them?

I don't think that they were upset "they couldn't screw you", probably just trying to get you in and out with your order. No reason to try and sell you anything if you are ordering. I would bet that they treat you great when the car comes in and at delivery.

All salesman and saleswomen need to wake up to the age of the internet! Gone are the days of going into a showroom blind to what the actual costs of the cars are. I find it sporting pissing off new car sales people! I go to edmunds to find out the exact invoice on the car and options I am looking for and then "dont forget the dealer holdback" from the manufacturer. You can usually google the holdback on the model your looking for. All this info cuts out any BS!

You have it all figured out. See I saw it opposite, guys like you would come in bragging about how much they knew and threw around terms like invoice/holdback. I don't know why everyong seems to think that they are entitled to holdback. BTW, most dealers don't make the money on new cars, as "they are aware of the age of the internet". Most of the profit in sales is generated from the used department.

Last edited:

kevinp

Established Member
Weird post, if I get the car for what I want to pay for it I can care less if they throw darts at my picture or give me the finger when I leave. Dealer service department is WAY more important than the sales department anyhow, once you are out the door with the car you never have to deal with the sales department again until you buy a new car. And considering the turn around time for salesman and finance guys in dealerships good chance the next time you go to buy another car the whole staff will be different anyhow..

kevinp

Established Member
I know the finance guy was not happy when I told him I decline extended coverage.

Because they make a lot of money in after sales, notice the finance guy always wears the most gold ;)

What happened to your G8, havent talked to you in a while..

FormulaFord

Established Member
I don't think that they were upset "they couldn't screw you", probably just trying to get you in and out with your order. No reason to try and sell you anything if you are ordering. I would bet that they treat you great when the car comes in and at delivery.

You have it all figured out. See I saw it opposite, guys like you would come in bragging about how much they knew and threw around terms like invoice/holdback. I don't know why everyong seems to think that they are entitled to holdback. BTW, most dealers don't make the money on new cars, as "they are aware of the age of the internet". Most of the profit in sales is generated from the used department.

I did not say a holdback is a entitlement. It is a negotiating tool. It is money that the dealer will get from the manufacturer for selling that vehicle. Is it not? I guess in your mind its ok for dealers to advertise "Below Invoice" to the general consumer but its not ok to negotiate, have knowledge of or mention the holdback? I guess we should all pay the LOA "lack of availability" BS charges they were putting on Terminators, Shelby GT500's and now 5.0's too. Now they are selling them under MSRP! I am trying to give my advice to help out anyone out there in their purchase. I know the business all too well from working in it. New car sales makes money from the profit from the vehicles they sell, the holdbacks, financing, warrantys, dealer add ons and the volume per month. Hope this info helps out. All the best!

metaman

Established Member
If the salesman and the sales managers are not pissed off at you then you are not trying hard enough. They do not like that more and more people have become aware that in a buyers market cars can be had for invoice price. You should have seen how pissed the guys in the Toyota Dealer where back when I leased my Tacoma. I had gone on Edmunds and read the play book for the sales staff that is used in almost every dealer. The things they say and propose are all lined out in order. You can sit there and check them off if you want to.

redrocket2011

Established Member
I went into Mike Shad Ford to cancel my extended warranty. You would have thought I committed murder. I actually had an argument with the finance Manager. I’ve never been treated so badly from a dealership until then. I was told this was bad for business on my part not to honor my commitment to them. I have bought 6 new cars from them in the last 10 years. Nonetheless, they have managed to make me feel like I’m band from ever doing business with them again. I just went to another dealership and bought my Daughter a new car, and will be ordering a Boss within the next year or two, obviously, not from them. How that for customer service?

Nicolaskl

BANNED
Established Member
That's pretty much par for the course. Salespeople work on commission, and the bigger the profit for the dealer, the bigger the commission check for themselves. They weren't as happy because they weren't going to make as much money as they originally thought.

Mika

I don't really see how not kissing his ass and falling all over themselves to sell a car at invoice = scum. Do you expect to get the same service on a 12 dollar meal at Appleby's as you get on a 400 dollar meal at a 3 star Michelin restaurant?

popeye010

Established Member
Do you guys realize that selling a car at a dealership is akin to working for minimun wage. They truly struggle to make ends meet. In these times when hardly anyone is buying a car, it's even worse. Plus your trade in is generally a turd, that's why you are trading it in and most if not every car is sold at auction, not sold at top dollar for full value. Hell if it could have been sold that way you would have done it yourself. If someone walked into your place of business and wanted to buy your product or service at cost,,,,well you would be pretty pissed off as well. Every one now adays wants to screw the next guy down the line , but they are so Violated when it happens to them. And no I don't sell cars for a living.

Users who are viewing this thread