Dealer wants to replace 5.0 engine with 9500 mi on it

JW03

Established Member
Update: dealer says these motors are noisy there may not be a "fix"... I have contacted ford customer service.

As far as these cars are concerned I have not been around anotger one that ticks/knocks like mine. I understand the injectors are noisy. However they have already stated there is something with cylinder 7. Wtf?

alcarames

Established Member
It's lemon time! I hate to push lemon law but when they basically confirm there's an issue then turn around and say its normal noise sounds like BS to me. Ford is trying very hard to not address this noise. I'm being told the majority of the engines with this issue can get beyond the factory warranty period without failure. They're trying very hard to deny there's an issue.

JW03

Established Member
It's lemon time! I hate to push lemon law but when they basically confirm there's an issue then turn around and say its normal noise sounds like BS to me. Ford is trying very hard to not address this noise. I'm being told the majority of the engines with this issue can get beyond the factory warranty period without failure. They're trying very hard to deny there's an issue.

I have no doubt it can make it past the warranty... but the fact that I sound like a diesel truck below 2000 rpms is ridiculous :lol: the car still pulls fine and seems to make decent power. But if I wanted sometging with problems I could have saved money and purchased used

Last edited:

alcarames

Established Member
I agree totally with you. This is a mustang, it shouldn't sound like a diesel. I'm telling you what ford has told me. As I've said my car has the same noise, gets worst after oil changes, only present when engine warms up, prominent between 2-3k rpm's.

I've been told by the service writer that they probably know about it but won't address it because of cost and the fact that to fix you would have to tear the motor down. Also, they would rather deal with any failures individually than fix all of them. Besides once warranty runs out it's not their problem.

JW03

Established Member
I agree totally with you. This is a mustang, it shouldn't sound like a diesel. I'm telling you what ford has told me. As I've said my car has the same noise, gets worst after oil changes, only present when engine warms up, prominent between 2-3k rpm's.

I've been told by the service writer that they probably know about it but won't address it because of cost and the fact that to fix you would have to tear the motor down. Also, they would rather deal with any failures individually than fix all of them. Besides once warranty runs out it's not their problem.

It really makes me angry. Especially when not EVERY car does it. I could understand if it was extremely widespread

SCCA SM

Established Member
OP, I had a similar issue with a gt500. I needed the clutch and flywheel TSB done under warranty. I finally ended up driving from where I live in San Francisco, to Galpin Ford in the LA area. The techs at Galpin diagnosed the problem right away, said it was covered and gave me a free rental.

Take your car to a dealership that handles SVT products all the time.

machman

04 SVT COBRA
Established Member
Sucks man. Like I say mine does it. Hasn't got worse. And I'm over 700 hp my car did it time I changed the oil. I've went through 3 different kinds of oils and they all did the same thing. My car has less than 2500 miles. I know I'm screwed with warranty so I'm just gonna drive it till it lets go.

alcarames

Established Member
SCCA, I found a great dealer that acknowledged the noise and also agreed with me that it was not normal engine characteristic. The shop foreman was on my side, they even found other similar issues in their ford dealer tech forums, some with mustangs and even the 5.0's in the trucks where it stated the fix was a new short block.

They followed their protocol and eventually had to call the ford field rep who came out to look at my car, he called the field engineer who said he knows of the noise but he told the dealer "not to proceed" because it was "normal engine characteristic". My point is regardless how good the dealer is they won't pay out of pocket to fix it, so if ford is telling them not to proceed their hands are tied, which is what happened in my case.

JW03

Established Member
Update again...

Now after ford customer service has been involved they are talking about doing a short block. Opinions?

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
The only thing I would worry about on them swapping out motors would be if you ever wanted to trade the car in at all. Because the value will be less since the motor won't match the VIN. I know this because someone that I am friends with had this done and then never felt right about the car again, so when he went to trade in the car they gave him some crazy low offer and they said that it was due to having the motor swapped out.

Just something to think about.

Ford does not do numbers matching on engines and transmissions. Anyone saying their newer Ford is numbers matching is full of it. The only possible way you could tell is the identification tag on the engine that has the born on date not jiving with vehicle assembly date.

FWIW my '14 has a tick from the passengers side that sounds just like the ticks the Terminators had when they came out. I am going to wait until I have done a couple oil changes before making a deal about it. A couple of my heavy line techs have heard it and said to wait and see if it gets worse before going forward.

Last edited:

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
Do you think I should try to fight for a long block?

You could try it, but it will only prolong the process. If they put it all back together and there is still noise they will either replace heads, or do a long block.

As far as work quality, I would take a dealer built engine over a reman, under warranty anyway. The reman quality is hit or miss sometimes. The nice thing about the reman assemblies is they have a 3 year unlimited mile warranty when replaced under customer pay. However with a dealer built engine the technicians take the time to do it right. Plus they are free to order all the parts you are not supposed to reuse since it is on Ford's dime.

alcarames

Established Member
Do you think I should try to fight for a long block?

You can certainly try for a long block. There should be no issue with the short block though. The issue causing the noise seems to be in the bottom end. Either a bad wrist pin or piston skirt issue.

Tispho

Established Member
Hi JW03,

I had a short block replaced on my 2011 Mustang, Which means new block, new cylinders, rods, crankshaft.

They reuse the heads and all other accessories

Everything went fine, I don't think the mechanic will scratch up your car, but the porter might. I think they drop the motor out from the bottom.

In my state, lemon law says if your car is less than a year old and been in the dealership for more than a month you may qualify under lemon law.

Last edited:

JW03

Established Member
They are supposed to call Monday regarding a rental and more details. I guess I will go with the flow for now and see what happens

MKMotorsport

Established Member
My first thought is let them do it? And how is the engine you would get now from Ford going to be any different from the one they give you "down the road"? It's not as if once it blows really bad they are going to give you a "better" motor. Guess what I'm hinting at is if they are going to try to shaft you with a remanufactured engine/partial rebuild or something like that it's going to happen regardless when you present the problem to them.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
They are supposed to call Monday regarding a rental and more details. I guess I will go with the flow for now and see what happens

just go with it. at least there working with you. I seen an heard of worse.

willpower

Established Member
That's the plan. I will be sure to keep everyone updated

Sorry to hear your cars getting worked on now too.

As an update, my car is still at the dealer, I'm still driving a Mazda 2 =/

The longblock is approved, but they do not know when it will arrive. I know my car is sitting outside in the sun every day and getting bird crap baked on it. (next to the ocean).

Since the car is drive able, I thought they would let me drive around until the engine arrived, but they wont give me my car back to store it indoors.

Users who are viewing this thread