Dealer wants to replace 5.0 engine with 9500 mi on it

willpower

Established Member
Hey everyone, I just posted a couple questions in a related thread but I just got back from the dealer and they want to replace my engine with only 9500 miles on it.

I have the "tick" in my mustang, although I think its a bit different than most people here, as I can hear it when I am driving on the freeway (mildly), and I can reproduce it at idle revving to 1500rpm. Sounds like a ball bearing is inside and loose and rattling round.

Anyways, my dealership took a look at it and determined that they were going to replace the entire engine...

I have mixed feelings about this, especially becasue I've read a few horror stories from engine replacements from warranty.

Does anyone have any experience with a dealer dropping in a supposedly new engine? Should I just not have it done and wait until my engine gives out? (it honestly sounds like crap, I can hear it at times over my gt500 axlebacks).

Here is what it sounds like , it sounds worse in person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDgCeO3IRz8

Thanks,

Will

Update:

Got my car back 2 weeks ago, everything has been fine with the engine since.

I have 300mi on the engine now and no extra sounds. The engine pulls a lot harder, and sounds different than it ever did, surprisingly.

If you are in Los Angeles, and need a decent dealer to work with Mario at Santa Monica Ford is pretty good. He listened to my problems and helped me get to this resolution.

Last edited:

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
as long as its a trusted dealer. go for it.
request a free rental car to drive while its getting worked on.(I got one for 2 days while they tracked down a vibration at 3500miles)
good thing is if they do it wrong... its still under warranty.

SC2011GT

Til' The Wheels Fall Off
Established Member
What else can you do? You can have them put a motor in it now, or you can have them put a motor in it if/when it fails.. What is the difference?

Rct851

Established Member
Heck yea go get a motor put in. You have te opportunity to break it in differently if you like. Or maybe swap certain fluids from the start.

pufferfish

Established Member
Also, if they are pulling the motor, this is your opportunity to have them put different stuff back in!! Things like a bigger radiator, boss alternator, boss cooler, better clutch. If they are rebuilding the motor, you can ask to replace things like heads, cams etc. you will be hard pressed to get parts for free, but certainly labor! If they have to remove an item under. The warranty claim, they don't care what part they put back in!

alcarames

Established Member
Hey, I have that exact same noise. My car is already 3 years old and has 20k miles so they know I'm beyond lemon law period. They've already told me flat out this noise is normal engine characteristic and they won't fix. Every other case I've followed with this "engine tick" has resulted in engine replacement. Only thing I would ask of the OP is to please ask what exactly is causing this noise.

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
Hey, I have that exact same noise. My car is already 3 years old and has 20k miles so they know I'm beyond lemon law period. They've already told me flat out this noise is normal engine characteristic and they won't fix. Every other case I've followed with this "engine tick" has resulted in engine replacement. Only thing I would ask of the OP is to please ask what exactly is causing this noise.
I had a small tick from first oil change. I put amsoil in and sound is almost gone

gs462

Established Member
Also, if they are pulling the motor, this is your opportunity to have them put different stuff back in!! Things like a bigger radiator, boss alternator, boss cooler, better clutch. If they are rebuilding the motor, you can ask to replace things like heads, cams etc. you will be hard pressed to get parts for free, but certainly labor! If they have to remove an item under. The warranty claim, they don't care what part they put back in!

Ford will not do this! I just had my clutch replaced under warranty. I asked them if theyd put a factory boss clutch in, and said id pay for the parts. They still stated they would not do it and also said if they did (put a ford clutch) in my car it would void my warranty.

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member

Split the difference with them on an aluminator.

Ultrakla$$ic

WhoFlungPoo
Established Member
I wouldn't trust them to BUILD a motor. I hope they are just swapping your noisy one for a crate motor. My dealership can't change oil without destroying something. Lol!!

Nuar

Established Member
Have them change it and dont even hesitate!
Why wouldn't you want a brand new 0 mile engine? :)

willpower

Established Member
Have them change it and dont even hesitate!
Why wouldn't you want a brand new 0 mile engine? :)

True, although I've read a few members get "remanufactured" engines , whatever that means.

I would be happy to get a new one. The tech working on my car seems like he knows a lot about cars. Even made a comment about how he would be careful not to scratch the paint etc...

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I would go ahead an let them replace the motor. Your problem would get worse

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
When you say engine, I am assuming that you actually mean the long block assembly. They will pull yours and transfer all of the accessories to the new long block. Shouldn't be an issue, and generally the techs performing this work have been around for a while.

I had it done at 1800 miles and not a problem since. The word "tick" is used by many but my description of the noise was more of an "internal rattle/tap on the drivers side under load".

kingnut

Established Member

Free labor... hahaha. Yeah good luck with that.

Users who are viewing this thread